Taking lights and internet off the Grid (mostly)

The_MAC

Executive Member

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Those string switches are fugly, can't you rather run a cable into a cupboard and then only expose a normal lever switch on the side of the cupboard?
Yeah they are ugly but cheap. You right, I should look into something different, thanx

Messugga

Honorary Master
Can anyone recommend an electrician in Pretoria to convert all my downlighters to LED? My system is fairly old and still uses transformers to drop voltage to 12v. Half of my downlighters are also dimmable so you can't just replace them with LED units.
If said electrician has experience with hooking up inverters and similar, that would be useful as well.

The_MAC

Executive Member
Can anyone recommend an electrician in Pretoria to convert all my downlighters to LED? My system is fairly old and still uses transformers to drop voltage to 12v. Half of my downlighters are also dimmable so you can't just replace them with LED units.
If said electrician has experience with hooking up inverters and similar, that would be useful as well.

You could easily do the downlights yourself - just buy 220V LED's and remove the transformers.

Pineapple Smurf

I don't sorry but that is an excellent idea that you propose doing. :thumbsup:

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
I want to start with powering 3 50w LED floodlights with solar and a battery.
What would I need?

The_MAC

Executive Member
What would I need?

You can buy 12V LED floodlights - I have seen plenty at China Towns.

A 100AH Deep Cycle Battery, Solar Charge Controller and Panels.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Eish, those are not 12V, but normal 220V - this requires an inverter.

Return them, and get 12V ones, they look the same just run on 12V DC
Think it's too late to return now. Damn... now I need to sell this.

But this must be on every single night in any case.

Pineapple Smurf

What would I need?
Yoh 50W LED Floodlight is fooking bright, I'm sure 10w LED will be fine, we use 1 that shines onto our 8 garages here at home.

For the Solar controller I have tried over the years with cheap stuff and in the end it has all landed in the bin, I now only buy MPPT controllers, Victron is my prefered choice. Microcare is also good, local brand.
https://www.sustainable.co.za/victron-blue-solar-75v-15a-mppt-charge-controller.html (I have the 100/30 model in my caravan)

A 150W solar panel
https://www.sustainable.co.za/renewsys-deserv-150w-solar-panel.html

A big battery and thats where I cannot give solid advice as i own lead crystals and they can take a good beating whereas my lead acids do not like running flat hence i over specced my lead acids and they hardly dip in voltage after load shedding has finished.
So make sure to get lead crystals, or lithium if you can afford it or even AGM batteries are good. If you do go lead acid for whatever reason at least make sure it is deep cycle.

Floodlights
https://www.sustainable.co.za/efficient-lighting/led-lights/led-flood-lights.html

12v --> 220v inverter
I only buy pure sine wave and not modified sine wave, but I think modified sinewave will be fine for you as you are just wanting to power up some lights, however if you can afford it, rather go pure sinewave so you are future proofed.
https://www.sustainable.co.za/victron-phoenix-ve-direct-12v-24v-48v-200w-inverter.html (I own this in my caravan, perfect for laptops too).

One could argue that you can go 12v floodlights and i fully agree, this way you dont need an inverter.
But remember to keep your distance short, else you will get major DC voltage drop over a long distance when you are powering 2.5amps (your 30w floodlight).

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
After how long can I return stuff to TA? I received those LEDs on the 9th of November.

The_MAC

Executive Member
Yoh 50W LED Floodlight is fooking bright, I'm sure 10w LED will be fine, we use 1 that shines onto our 8 garages here at home.

50W is overkill, unless you live on a farm or small holding.

10W is adequate for 10-15m.

A 10W 12V LED Floodlight will be around R100-R200 from a China Town

CamiKaze

Honorary Master