Tax claim for student

Dean01

Howzit

Over the past few months I have done vacation work and have been charged a cumulative few hundred rand in what seems to be a tax deduction. To my understanding you have to earn over a certain amount to be paying tax, which I am not.

Can anyone advise if it possible to claim this tax back and how I can go about doing that?

Thanks

mjwitter

Your employer should have registered you for tax. Get tour tax number and register for efiling, then file a tax return and if you're under the threshold you should get a refund.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Employers are obliged to deduct 25% PAYE tax from part time employees, no matter how much they are paid. This could be the case for you. It's then up to you to submit a tax return every year and claim your refund if your total income for the year is under the personal allowance threshold.

Dean01

Employers are obliged to deduct 25% PAYE tax from part time employees, no matter how much they are paid. This could be the case for you. It's then up to you to submit a tax return every year and claim your refund if your total income for the year is under the personal allowance threshold.

Thanks, That seems to be the case. What information or documents are needed for the tax return?

airborne

Honorary Master
Not much if you have no other income, just the act of submitting gets you the refund. Apparently a few billion refunds do not get paid each year because people uneducated in this fact do not submit a return. You don't have to submit a return if you earn below a certain level and have no other income or claims, so employers deduct the tax from wages and it is never claimed back by the employee.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Thanks, That seems to be the case. What information or documents are needed for the tax return?

You might be asked to supply an IRP5 from your employer for the relevant year of assessment, which is basically a summary of the income paid to you and the PAYE tax deducted. Only your employer can provide you with this.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Not much if you have no other income, just the act of submitting gets you the refund. Apparently a few billion refunds do not get paid each year because people uneducated in this fact do not submit a return. You don't have to submit a return if you earn below a certain level and have no other income or claims, so employers deduct the tax from wages and it is never claimed back by the employee.

This crap part of this whole thing is that most part-time employees will never ever even earn enough money to justify a tax rate of 25%. So not only are most part-time employees being shafted for more tax than they are obliged to pay, but most will never ever fill in a tax return either because on the whole your average part-time worker is not the sort of person who would submit a tax return. So SARS is scoring big time off of part-time workers.

sk33Lo

How much could OP possibly be looking for, as a rebate from gubbermint?

patrick

Expert Member
If they've charged you monthly tax and your annual earnings are below R67k you'll get all that tax back after submitting your tax statement. Just get the number and do it on e-filing. It's quick and quite simple.

AchmatK

Executive Member
Just did a tax return for a part-time employee who gets 25% deducted. He's refund from SARS was just over R22k and was paid out on the 3rd. SARS did not require me to submit any supporting documents and he was not selected for verification/audit. I did not even have his IRP5 as the data was already pre populated on his tax return.