Telkom 5102G Router WiFi issues! Help!

tooone7

Hi guys, we have a Telkom 5102G Router with WiFi but I always have trouble connecting with it.

I have 2 Kindles and they connect fine and then I had a Nokia 5530 which sometimes connected and I got me a Samsung Galaxy S2 yesterday but I am unable to connect it via WiFi to this router. At work it worked perfectly. I have no idea what router we have at work.

So I think it's the router that is the problem here. I might be wrong though...

I see my home network on the phone and when I connect and type in the password, which I've done more than 15 times now (the password is definitely correct), the phone says "Scanning...", "Connecting..." then "Disconnected...".

It is really frustrating and I don't know what to do!

I have a 4mbps uncapped MWeb line, if that's of any use :)

Things I've tried:
  • I've turned the router of for a minute and turned it on and still nothing...
  • In the router's settings (when I go to 10.0.0.2) there is a dropdown called "Channel ID". I've changed this from the default Channel01 - 2412Mhz to Channel03 - 2422Mhz and still nothing...

Can anyone please help me?

Thank you so much for any help :)

T-Man

I had the same problem with my 5102G. Not all devices liked connecting wirelessly to it.

I tried changing channels etc without success. You can always try playing with the beacon interval but I don't think thats going to make any difference. I had the same problem with the Telkom firmware and the Billion firmware. I eventually got myself another router.

tooone7

I had the same problem with my 5102G. Not all devices liked connecting wirelessly to it.

I tried changing channels etc without success. You can always try playing with the beacon interval but I don't think thats going to make any difference. I had the same problem with the Telkom firmware and the Billion firmware. I eventually got myself another router.

Ah no! :( I was dreading a response like this.

How do I change the beacon interval? I'm keen to try anything short of buying a new router :)

Edit: Nevermind. I found how to change it, but to what do you suggest? It's currently at 100, it can go up to 1000.

Last edited:

tooone7

I solved it!

If anyone's interested I changed the authentication type from WPA-PSK to WEP - 128bits. The 64bits also worked.

Some people suggest, if you have WPA-PSK, to change the encryption of the password to AES. But his was the default on my router and it didn't work.

I am so happy right now :D

Is there an disadvantages when using WEP rather than WPA?

T-Man

Well done!!. I'l have to go dig up my old 5102's.

WEP is not as secure as WPA-PSK and can be cracked.

tooone7

Well done!!. I'l have to go dig up my old 5102's.

WEP is not as secure as WPA-PSK and can be cracked.

Lol. Nah, keep 'em away, they suck. But regarding the security, I think it'll be fine.

Jack Goa

you sir, are the bomb!

now to figure out how to work the shared internet connection :/

old sucky hardware