Telkom copper cutover/cutoff

Belligerence

I got a call from telkom too offering LTE Uncapped, I hate doing stuff over the phone so i hesitated.

Belligerence

If telkom was smart, they would have something integrated into their own system where you go to a specific URL, type in your landline / TIN number, then it would offer you different options.

Efficient.

Yuu

Executive Member
I got a call from telkom too offering LTE Uncapped, I hate doing stuff over the phone so i hesitated.
Hi, tell us more such as what is your current package and what info they provided? :)

Is it just what the current uncapped offerings are? ie. 10Mbps uncapped [150GB ] etc?

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
I took up the offer to save a few bucks until fibre comes :)

Mine came with B525 router and I connected the bunny ear antenna's from the B315 I had.

Mine was offered at R760 a month for 10mps uncapped till 150gb then it is 4mbs uncapped for the rest of the month.

Reactions: Yuu

HowTo

Expert Member
I took up the offer to save a few bucks until fibre comes :)

Mine came with B525 router and I connected the bunny ear antenna's from the B315 I had.

Mine was offered at R760 a month for 10mps uncapped till 150gb then it is 4mbs uncapped for the rest of the month.
If you near the tower you should get full strength signal. No antenna required.
I'm about 1km from tower.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
If you near the tower you should get full strength signal. No antenna required.
I'm about 1km from tower.
I am quite far I had lte before and had use external mounted antenna, because of the trees etc. Speeds seemed be good yesterday, but now it's dead. I had 4 bars 4g, now I have one bar 3g lol

• Sad

HowTo

Expert Member
I am quite far I had lte before and had use external mounted antenna, because of the trees etc. Speeds seemed be good yesterday, but now it's dead. I had 4 bars 4g, now I have one bar 3g lol
If Telkom sold you this setup. They should have checked coverage.
It shows you how desperate they are.
Sitting for two years is a long time.

YM_80

Because they're under the mistaken impression that ADSL is cheaper.
It's not a mistaken impression for some. At the moment, I pay R266 per month for uncapped ADSL - which is sometimes not good enough, but largely sufficient. The fibre replacement (also uncapped) is R579 pm - which is way out of my price range.

There's an Openserve option for R399 p.m. - but our complex has Vuma fibre installed, so I don't even know if I can use that. (And in any case, not sure Openserve is even any good given that it's still Telkom.)

I'm dreading the copper cutoff in my area, but I suppose it'll have to come sooner or later.

isie

Honorary Master
It's not a mistaken impression for some. At the moment, I pay R266 per month for uncapped ADSL - which is sometimes not good enough, but largely sufficient. The fibre replacement (also uncapped) is R579 pm - which is way out of my price range.
Did you include you phone line and adsl line rental into that R266?

There's an Openserve option for R399 p.m. - but our complex has Vuma fibre installed, so I don't even know if I can use that. (And in any case, not sure Openserve is even any good given that it's still Telkom.)
Vuma is open access so you can go Telkom as your ISP if you want but there are so many better options.

I'm dreading the copper cutoff in my area,
Why?

YM_80

Did you include you phone line and adsl line rental into that R266?

Vuma is open access so you can go Telkom as your ISP if you want but there are so many better options.

Why?

Dreading the cutover because the setup works fine right now, but the cutover will mean a forced increase in costs - which is not something I want to take on in the current financial climate.

To answer your questions about the line rental:
  1. ADSL rental is done via my ISP, and that is roughly R182 pm.
  2. The actual uncapped data cost per month on the ADSL is R85.
  3. So the total I pay the ISP per month is R266.

The phone rental is for the actual Telkom landline, which we need to keep as it's obviously important for our normal communication.

So, again, the Internet service cost is a total of R266. If we didn't have Internet, we'd still keep the Telkom landline at that same cost.

So, to confirm, we can take up an Openserve deal even though Vuma has laid the fibre in our complex?

And I'm looking at Openserve because that's the cheapest fibre option available - R399, which is manageable - as compared to the next step up which is R579. We're currently on a 2 meg ADSL line, which is fairly fine...so it's not really a case of wanting the best fibre. Even entry-level fibre (10 meg line) would be acceptable.

isie

Honorary Master
Dreading the cutover because the setup works fine right now, but the cutover will mean a forced increase in costs - which is not something I want to take on in the current financial climate.

To answer your questions about the line rental:
  1. ADSL rental is done via my ISP, and that is roughly R182 pm.
  2. The actual uncapped data cost per month on the ADSL is R85.
  3. So the total I pay the ISP per month is R266.

The phone rental is for the actual Telkom landline, which we need to keep as it's obviously important for our normal communication.

So, again, the Internet service cost is a total of R266. If we didn't have Internet, we'd still keep the Telkom landline at that same cost.
whats phone line rental like R200?
You can move you land line to a voip provider no line rental , pay only for calls keep your number (think they charge like under 150 bucks to port)

So, to confirm, we can take up an Openserve deal even though Vuma has laid the fibre in our complex?
You can - i wouldn't but like i said you can if you want to

And I'm looking at Openserve because that's the cheapest fibre option available - R399, which is manageable - as compared to the next step up which is R579.
That deal probably won't apply on Vumatel network, the deal IIRC thats on openserve fibre network.

We're currently on a 2 meg ADSL line, which is fairly fine...so it's not really a case of wanting the best fibre. Even entry-level fibre (10 meg line) would be acceptable.
:unsure:

2Mb do they still offer that?

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
whats phone line rental like R200?
You can move you land line to a voip provider no line rental , pay only for calls keep your number (think they charge like under 150 bucks to port)

You can - i wouldn't but like i said you can if you want to

That deal probably won't apply on Vumatel network, the deal IIRC thats on openserve fibre network.

:unsure:

2Mb do they still offer that?
Wife's grandad is on the 2mb 20gb cap option lol
But the retirement village body Corp not allowing fibre to be installed, as he probably only guy that would take fibre lol

Rohan

For me the only other option is LTE, since I do gaming online LTE is not really an option for me. I have fairly good and stable latency on vdsl.

isie

Honorary Master
Wife's grandad is on the 2mb 20gb cap option lol
But the retirement village body Corp not allowing fibre to be installed, as he probably only guy that would take fibre lol
Jislike 20Gb , that's nothing

argh

I'm dreading the copper cutoff in my area, but I suppose it'll have to come sooner or later.
Hi,

I was also dreading the copper cutoff in my area (Randburg, Johannesburg), but not any more. I hate having to deal with Telkom's poor service, and there are so many alternatives available now. I have mentioned some on page 1 of this thread (Argh, 17/9/2019).

Subsequent to what I wrote there, I have simplified my chosen Telkom replacement even more. Because prices for data seem to be tumbling at present, I decided to go prepaid mobile for voice and data options, not sign any contracts yet, and keep my eye on the data price changes over the next few months. My total Telkom landline ,
Telkom ADSL line, and Vox data costs were at least R560 per month.

After being informed by Telkom towards end August 2019 that copper services will be ending in my area, I cancelled my ADSL line with them. It was terminated end September 2019. To replace that, I went before the end date to a Cell C shop, bought a rechargeable Mifi modem, which can work even when there is a power cut (as long as it is charged), and can be used connected to electricity even though it has a rechargeable battery. I loaded it with Cell C's prepaid data, valid for 365 days (1 year),
https://www.cellc.co.za/cellc/prepaid-contract-detail/GigaPackages ,
which you buy in store, or on their website. That way, I can see how much mobile data I use and what it will cost, without being tied to a contract. The modem is extremely easy to use, and it is easy to change your Telkom POP3 email settings (if needed) to Cell C (just phone their tech. help for guidance).

Yesterday, I cancelled my Telkom phone line, which should therefore be cut off on 1/11/2019. To replace that, I will try Cell C's anynet calling plans,
https://www.cellc.co.za/cellc/bundles-contract-detail/prepaid-voice-bundle . If I find these don't meet my needs, than I will go the VOIP option, but without porting my Telkom number, which I don't really need.

Hemps

Executive Member
Anyone from the East London area received calls from telkom or their isp regarding this cutoff or switchover?

I'm on vdsl 20Mb in Abbotsford area, I know the exchange 500m away supports fibre and there is fibre laid outside in the street.
Not aware of any houses in the st with fibre though.