Telkom mobile contract fraud

|tera|

Master of Messengers
This is nothing. I experienced the same issue with MTN for two years running, spending dozens of hours on the phone, they kept confirming it was resolved (only after I called, no one ever called me back) and yet I was contacted by debt companies three times telling me I owed money to MTN. They blacklisted me. I managed to get through to their ceo escalations finally to help. Telkom in this story is in no way as bad as MTN.
How did you make contact?
As I said it was impossible for me.

ProfA

Honorary Master
yet....let them launch an uncapped lte/5g product that undercuts rain piece of crap and watch idiots fall over themselves to sign up. this type of crap is why legal insurance is becoming more and more important. in such a situation you simply contact legal wise or whomever your legal insurer is and let them sort it out. average guy on the street will take months if not years to rectify this clusterfck with this piece of crap company

Swa

Honorary Master
That is quite strange if no device was included in the contract, the article mentions the following:

I gave up on Telkom's website trying to figure out if there was a contract SmartBroadband contract that included any sort of device (modem/router/phone) and there is SmartBroadband prepaid as well.

If no device was included in the contract, the only motive I can think of is that someone needed an internet connection that cannot easily be traced back to the person(s) using it for whatever nefarious purposes.

I wonder if Telkom's website allows connections from well known VPNs are TOR nodes (I am assuming that the contract(s) were taken out online and did not involve getting caught on CCTV in a Telkom shop).

I still think a Telkom employee is the most likely explanation.
Didn't even think of that, but even a device can be blacklisted. The article does mention the cost of the contracts being R1300 so that doesn't seem like it would be the biggest cost. It's big hassle for short term gain. Unless it's some inside job with some other monetary gain we aren't told about.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Didn't even think of that, but even a device can be blacklisted. The article does mention the cost of the contracts being R1300 so that doesn't seem like it would be the biggest cost. It's big hassle for short term gain. Unless it's some inside job with some other monetary gain we aren't told about.

How do you blacklist a laptop?

SmartBroadband Wireless LTE Contract 10GB with Dell Inspiron N3580 Core i5 15.6" HD 8GB 1TB + Huawei E5576 - R599

SmartBroadband Wireless LTE Contract 10GB with ASUS 15" i5 8GB 1TB Bundle + Huawei E5576 - R699*

R1298

Sounds a lot like R1300. That's 2 x i5 laptops you that cost you nothing, that you can easily sell for near new price if you have not opened them (R10 000+). The Huaweis can be sold for some cash too (R1000+). Not a bad return for a few hours work.

*I didn't use a similarly priced, much-wanted-Playstation-5 deal since I do not think the Playstation was out yet.

Last edited:

Swa

Honorary Master
How do you blacklist a laptop?

SmartBroadband Wireless LTE Contract 10GB with Dell Inspiron N3580 Core i5 15.6" HD 8GB 1TB + Huawei E5576 - R599

SmartBroadband Wireless LTE Contract 10GB with ASUS 15" i5 8GB 1TB Bundle + Huawei E5576 - R699*

R1298

Sounds a lot like R1300. That's 2 x i5 laptops you that cost you nothing, that you can easily sell for near new price if you have not opened them (R10 000+). The Huaweis can be sold for some cash too (R1000+). Not a bad return for a few hours work.

*I didn't use a similarly priced, much-wanted-Playstation-5 deal since I do not think the Playstation was out yet.
Wasn't aware of any contracts at that price that include laptops. The article makes no mention of devices or even the plans.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Wasn't aware of any contracts at that price that include laptops. The article makes no mention of devices or even the plans.
But it gives an amount and the contract type name, SmartBroadband Wireless LTE, which is enough for a creative mind, and explains the reward for the crime, which, as you correctly pointed out is low if only done for data.

Swa

Honorary Master
But it gives an amount and the contract type name, SmartBroadband Wireless LTE, which is enough for a creative mind, and explains the reward for the crime, which, as you correctly pointed out is low if only done for data.
There are dozens of LTE contracts which can add up to that amount. The article doesn't state which ones. No what I'm saying is for the normal person there isn't much reward, one or two month's free data, or in the case of call contracts a number you can't even use. So something much more shady could be going on.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
There are dozens of LTE contracts which can add up to that amount. The article doesn't state which ones. No what I'm saying is for the normal person there isn't much reward, one or two month's free data, or in the case of call contracts a number you can't even use. So something much more shady could be going on.

Well, my R1000 bet is that there were devices on the 2 contracts. I understood what you were saying, little reward for such a crime, but I doubt it is to meet sales targets or whatever (possible but unlikely).

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Biometrics are done in store they need you finger print to process unless there is a way to bypass that

I cant recall finger print being done last year. Not that mine seems to work at Nedband for CC or to unlock Tyme account limits.

aws

this happened to me last week. i got notifications "Welcome to SmartBroadband Wireless" on email and via sms. spent ages getting through to the call center and getting transfered around. eventually got hold of a guy on thursday late (5pmish) that said i must send an affidavit and id copy etc then he will start a case for it. i still dont have a case number:(

wife got retrenched with covid stuff so we really cant afford any money going off the account at this point :( im stressing like crazy.

apparently it was a "phone in" purchase. i have the name of the agent that handled it. and the phone numbers of the 2 packages they opened. obviously useless as f at this point. (unlimited lte + mifi device with 5gb)

if theres anyone here from telkom that can maybe help me just make sure a case was opened i would really appreciate. i sent a mail to the guy that was helping but he hasnt responded yet. and debit order day is apon us.

they had my names (first / last), my contact details (email, phone), my bank details (super strange) all right, just changed the address (probs fake).

Tovad

apparently it was a "phone in" purchase. i have the name of the agent that handled it. and the phone numbers of the 2 packages they opened. obviously useless as f at this point. (unlimited lte + mifi device with 5gb)

they had my names (first / last), my contact details (email, phone), my bank details (super strange) all right, just changed the address (probs fake).
Take your ID and proof of address and do a simswop at any Telkom shop
At least you have the only working sims then in your possession