Telkom mobile contract fraud

mp100

I am experiencing the same issue.

On December 31st I noticed a Telkom Mobile debit order against my FNB account for about R3,500. I have never had any contract or dealings with Telkom Mobile in the past. On 4 January I called Telkom Mobile and opened a case. The consultant informed me that there were 6 data contracts in my name.

I submitted an affidavit and all the required documentation (bank statements, etc) on the same day. I have been calling back weekly for an update, and each time I get told that they are "still investigating". I tried emailing the agent who helped open the case for an update, and she replied very rudely with " I wont be able to provide you with the feed back as there are 100 of other customers that I have to assist".

I asked for assurance that the debit order had been stopped at least. I was told that the debit order had definitely been stopped.

Yesterday I had another Telkom Mobile debit order for almost R13,000, meaning Telkom Mobile have now stolen about R16,000 from me in 30 days.

Is there a Telkom Mobile representative on this forum who can help resolve this issue? Any ideas or suggestions short of closing my FNB account? I have run out of patience.

AchmatK

Executive Member

On December 31st I noticed a Telkom Mobile debit order against my FNB account for about R3,500. I have never had any contract or dealings with Telkom Mobile in the past. On 4 January I called Telkom Mobile and opened a case. The consultant informed me that there were 6 data contracts in my name.

I submitted an affidavit and all the required documentation (bank statements, etc) on the same day. I have been calling back weekly for an update, and each time I get told that they are "still investigating". I tried emailing the agent who helped open the case for an update, and she replied very rudely with " I wont be able to provide you with the feed back as there are 100 of other customers that I have to assist".

I asked for assurance that the debit order had been stopped at least. I was told that the debit order had definitely been stopped.

Yesterday I had another Telkom Mobile debit order for almost R13,000, meaning Telkom Mobile have now stolen about R16,000 from me in 30 days.

Is there a Telkom Mobile representative on this forum who can help resolve this issue? Any ideas or suggestions short of closing my FNB account? I have run out of patience.
Your bank should be able to reverse the debit order. I think they can also reverse the one for December. Not sure how far back debit orders can be reversed.

Swa

Honorary Master
Your bank should be able to reverse the debit order. I think they can also reverse the one for December. Not sure how far back debit orders can be reversed.
Usually either 3 or 6 months.

mp100

I intend to do this today, it only solves half the problem though. Unless Telkom Mobile acknowledge that this is fraud, they will simply blacklist me and destroy my credit record for non-payment, and that cannot be allowed to happen.

mp100

I just got off the line with Telkom Mobile. The latest feedback is that the fraud department has not even started investigating this case. After opening the case they said it will take 72 hours to provide feedback. I called back after 72 hours and I was told it will take 21 days to provide feedback. Now they are saying it will take 2 months to provide feedback.

In the meantime the fraudsters continue to open more and more fraudulent contracts in my name.

Is there a Telkom Mobile representative on this forum?

nivek

Executive Member
With the leaked Experian data, a fraudster can be able to open an account more easily since if they train a small bit as they can then easily enough answer the credit bureau check (not Experian in Telkoms case) part of the contract process at Telkom.
and nothing has happened to Experian since the leak, not even a fine

Just another day in SA where crime and incompetence wins

epah

Expert Member

Holy Moly, so much money. i would have reversed the debit orders and deal with credit report later. getting a refund from telkom will also take years. Ask them to put the money in a savings account so it at least earns interest for the next 5 years before it gets back to you.

The Light Green Hornet

Please realize you are dealing with a state owned company. They are 'competing' with the private sector by undercutting their prices, but their service delivery is poor, and like the other SOCs you can expect fraud and corruption.

jax025

Hi mp100 - have you managed to resolve anything.. I am in sheer desperation - stuck in the it will take 72 hours to resolve, i have managed to block the debit order but FNB can't promsie it will go off again.. R30 000!! Please can mybroadband help with who you reached out to resolve. Must go to Telkom? Must I get the CEO cellphone number.. I don't know what to do...

mp100

I went to FNB, had the debit orders reversed and I closed my account. That was the only solution. I have not heard back from Telkom at all despite numerous promises to call me back. The call center agent even provided me with her supervisor's email address and promised me she would reply. Needless to say, all my emails went unanswered.

I never got any acknowledgement from Telkom that the contracts were fraudulent, only a vague promise to investigate. After a month of calling weekly they said it takes more than 2 months to investigate.

I have stopped chasing up on it, but I fear they are going to blacklist me and it will come back to bite me in the future.

I have just logged into Telkom Mobile again and I can see the 7 contracts are active, despite them having been suspending previously. It is clearly an inside job and I wouldn't be at all surprised if the people I have been speaking to are committing the fraud - they are after all the people who asked for a copy of my ID, proof of bank account, etc.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
I went to FNB, had the debit orders reversed and I closed my account. That was the only solution. I have not heard back from Telkom at all despite numerous promises to call me back. The call center agent even provided me with her supervisor's email address and promised me she would reply. Needless to say, all my emails went unanswered.

I never got any acknowledgement from Telkom that the contracts were fraudulent, only a vague promise to investigate. After a month of calling weekly they said it takes more than 2 months to investigate.

I have stopped chasing up on it, but I fear they are going to blacklist me and it will come back to bite me in the future.

I have just logged into Telkom Mobile again and I can see the 7 contracts are active, despite them having been suspending previously. It is clearly an inside job and I wouldn't be at all surprised if the people I have been speaking to are committing the fraud - they are after all the people who asked for a copy of my ID, proof of bank account, etc.
Have you got your updated credit record to see what exactly is happening? Having gone through this sort of thing I am very worried for you.

SEERAND

I am having the same issue that you have, a contract was fraudently taken on my name, it's been since November 2020. I have contacted telkom, logged a Fraud complaint, got an affidavit. Still this issue has nit been resolved, I even reversed and stopped my debit orders. I even went to the extend to hand this matter over to legal wise. But still this issue drags on, why is it that nothing can be done about this, any ideas or help. I most probably have to go the route of closing my bank account as well

SEERAND

I am having the same issue that you have, a contract was fraudently taken on my name, it's been since November 2020. I have contacted telkom, logged a Fraud complaint, got an affidavit. Still this issue has nit been resolved, I even reversed and stopped my debit orders. I even went to the extend to hand this matter over to legal wise. But still this issue drags on, why is it that nothing can be done about this, any ideas or help. I most probably have to go the route of closing my bank account as we
Please realize you are dealing with a state owned company. They are 'competing' with the private sector by undercutting their prices, but their service delivery is poor, and like the other SOCs you can expect fraud and corruption.
But why is it that we should just accept it the way it is, can't we do something collectively

mp100

I logged into Telkom Mobile this morning and I noticed there is now an 8th contract in my name. It was initially 6 contracts. That means 2 contracts have been added since I first reported the fraud (2 months ago) and submitted the affidavit, and the most recent contract was added after I closed my FNB account.

I can view "my" statement online and it shows +-R23k owing for February- more than two months after reporting the fraud and requesting Telkom suspend all contracts and my profile, suggesting that Telkom are completely powerless to stop this fraud from continuing.

I also noticed that both the email address and residential address for my profile is completely wrong.

The next step is to access my credit report and see if they have blacklisted me or are reflecting non-payment.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
In other news my telkom adsl has finally been cancaled and removed from my online portal!

mp100

And now I have been handed over to debt collectors for my outstanding debt of R23k.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

epah

Expert Member
These stories are quite scary. Might be time for some of you to lawyer up.