Telkom refusing to fix a line

mr_norris

Expert Member
Hi everyone,

I got a mega spade of denied from Telkom and I'm not too pleased about it.

About two weeks back, my parents phone line stopped working. As soon as someone tried to make a call, it would ring once, then cut off. ADSL works fine. So I logged a fault, someone visited, and they said a line needed to be replaced because it was damaged.

Nothing has happened since then, so I spoke to someone on live chat, and I get told to use LTE instead:

9:12:13 AM Telkom: Thank you mr_norris for the information , on the fault you reported the fault was on cables and technician wont replace cables due to high theft

9:12:34 AM Telkom: telkom is migrating from copper to wireless

9:13:21 AM Telkom: we have the wireless phone you can get fixed line look alike and LTE router you can get as an alternative

9:13:38 AM You: I don't want to do that because it's quite costly. is there nothing I can do?

9:13:48 AM You: or is there anyone I can talk to about this?

9:15:54 AM Telkom: Please contact sales

9:15:59 AM Telkom: number 10213

9:16:02 AM You: Ok, thanks

9:16:14 AM You: But I don't want wireless, I want my phone working as it was

9:16:15 AM Telkom: Is there anything else you need assistance with?
There is no fibre, and LTE isn't very cost effective. I feel like this is extortion. I know there probably isn't anything I can do, so I suppose I'll just take hugs?

Nod

Executive Member
If ADSL is working fine, then I don't really see why the phone will have a line problem.
ADSL is much more sensitive to line issues than the voice service.

SYNERGY

Executive Member
If ADSL is working fine, then I don't really see why the phone will have a line problem.
ADSL is much more sensitive to line issues than the voice service.
I got the same issue. I didn't even bother logging a call :) As long as my ADSL is up, and syncing over 20MB, I'm good.

bobcpt

It might be a good time to look at what options are available to you. For low data usage scenarios, LTE tend to work out cheaper than adsl. The minimum cost of adsl is around R450 (line rental @ R203, 2 Mbps adsl rental @ R166, data @ R80). For the same amount you can buy 60GB daytime data on LTE.

If you make a lot of phone calls to landlines, it may be worth getting a month to month, sim only, Telkom FreeMe Topup package which gives you 1800 telkom minutes for R100.

Consider what the total cost of ownership will be if you were to port your number to a voip provider and then contribute the line rental fee towards buying more LTE data.

mr_norris

Expert Member
Thanks guys, I think I have come to terms with this. Unfortunately my parents use the landline to make calls. It looks like I'm going to have to pay up!

Nod

Executive Member
Thanks guys, I think I have come to terms with this. Unfortunately my parents use the landline to make calls. It looks like I'm going to have to pay up!
If the ADSL is working, get them a Freshphone account and the device to plug a normal phone into, or go for the FreemMe package at R100 with free Telkom-to-Telkom calls. There are options, but they might have to adapt a bit.

mr_norris

Expert Member
If the ADSL is working, get them a Freshphone account and the device to plug a normal phone into, or go for the FreemMe package at R100 with free Telkom-to-Telkom calls. There are options, but they might have to adapt a bit.
Thanks, I'll look into that

argh

Has Telkom informed you (by SMS, email, phone call, or notifications on your monthly Telkom bills) that it is discontinuing copper services in your area? If not, it will eventually. Throughout South Africa, Telkom is rapidly discontinuing copper services (which I assume means fixed landline phones, & fixed DSL lines for internet connection). So, now or some time in the future, you need to find alternatives. Decide what you need, what you can afford, and do lots of research via Google, phone calls to ISPs, etc. Also, here are some "MyBroadband"news articles and forum threads that might assist: