Telkom SIP VoIP Service

krycor

Honorary Master
Long story short but i've noticed that when Telkom installs a fibre line they, if ordered, also can provide you with a SIP VoIP service which essentially mimics your POTs line an retains your number(even if it's the traditional kind with area code, i.e. not your typical VoIP 087). As I understand it you keep your calling plan but gain the SIP functionality while call is data based i.e. VoIP.

What I'm curious on is this.. can this be bought as a stand alone, i.e. a SIP VoIP package with Telkom number and Calling plan of your choice? Or is this purely a legacy conversion for new fibre customers.

Reason? Flexibility.. This essentially makes you have a landline anywhere via a data connection. Since I don't have a fibre install from Telkom I havent checked the configuration of their SIP VoIP soln but i reckon this is easily 'liberated' from their router ;) though curious on their ToS for this service.

Use? You then able to make 'home' calls from your mobile which may not be with Telkom. If you use Everyday & Weekend there is a cost saving(long landline calls) and their larger packages have mobile to mobile savings too.

they do not give you sip details, they do sip from the ont but give you a piece of copper that you plug into a analogue phone...i have tried to get these details from them with no luck, i have invested heavily in a full ip system at home and now i still need my analogue gateway to get the line on the system

they do not give you sip details, they do sip from the ont but give you a piece of copper that you plug into a analogue phone...i have tried to get these details from them with no luck, i have invested heavily in a full ip system at home and now i still need my analogue gateway to get the line on the system

Why not just port the number? Then you simply get a SIP account and it works on any SIP based IP device. PM if you want more details!

Im keeping my telephone number with telkom in the fibre bundle because R130.00 for "unlimited" local and national calls is a hard deal to beat

that is a good deal, does that include all mobile networks as well?

nope just telkom numbers but mobile is billed per second, so im using voip for mobile, on-net and other voip providers and telkom for local national

Greeting everyone
Does anyone know if the Telkom VoIP system is still working or totally down?
if down, how long ?

I have tried all the SIP server IPs but they all timeout and never connect.

Back