Telkom to kill and replace ADSL

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator

Telkom has announced that it is decommissioning its prepaid fixed-line service after migrating 96% of these customers to wireless products.

The company said its wireless technology is more reliable than copper infrastructure, which can be severely impacted by adverse weather conditions and cable theft.

werfie

Expert Member
In principle this is cool, but with ADSL at the moment, I can switch ISP accounts, which I won't be able to do on their mobile options.

Anakha56

Does not work for me. Vodacom has GSM maybe 3G connection depending on the day in my area and where you are in the house plus I play online games how is LTE going to have good latency for that? Fiber rollout was stopped about 2km away from the Exchange (as the crow flies, probably 5-6km along road) from the one side and about 10km on the other side. That rollout was stopped about 5 years ago and there are no plans on renewing the project. Frackin hellkom...

rambo919

Expert Member
In principle this is cool, but with ADSL at the moment, I can switch ISP accounts, which I won't be able to do on their mobile options.
You are misunderstanding them, their LTE is exactly the same as other carriers. They are thinking of introducing uncapped throttled packages.

Nod

Executive Member
Does not work for me. Vodacom has GSM maybe 3G connection depending on the day in my area and where you are in the house plus I play online games how is LTE going to have good latency for that? Fiber rollout was stopped about 2km away from the Exchange (as the crow flies, probably 5-6km along road) from the one side and about 10km on the other side. That rollout was stopped about 5 years ago and there are no plans on renewing the project. Frackin hellkom...
I've been playing online games over LTE for almost two years now. No problems.

Anakha56

I've been playing online games over LTE for almost two years now. No problems.
And what is your coverage like? Mine is DOA, LTE does not work in my area. If they boost the signal then great but I am not paying the extra cost to do that and I will not sign up for a 24 month contract.

dotcat

Telkom has announced that it is decommissioning its prepaid fixed-line service after migrating 96% of these customers to wireless products.

The company said its wireless technology is more reliable than copper infrastructure, which can be severely impacted by adverse weather conditions and cable theft.
So this will massively impact the revenue of other ISP's with ADSL line rental and data packages. Can we please have a follow up article of how ISP's respond?

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
This should have been done years ago, but Telkom dithered and has lost the initiative here.
If they were still forward thinking they would also get rid of all surcharges on their fibre network and let the ISPs truly compete with all the other fibre carriers.

ld13

Honorary Master
Troubleshooting was fairly easy on adsl. :(

Nod

Executive Member
And what is your coverage like? Mine is DOA, LTE does not work in my area. If they boost the signal then great but I am not paying the extra cost to do that and I will not sign up for a 24 month contract.
I have great coverage. LTE was supposed to be temporary, but it worked so well that I never went for ADSL, also the upload speed it much better than ADSL which is required for working from home.
All the best in trying to get your signal improved. The only thing you can do is to log a ticket with them for coverage issues, and hope they can improve it some time in the future.

Skerminkel

Expert Member
Telkom has successfully shut down its copper-based prepaid voice service , and it will now target the postpaid fixed-line segment.
What are the user ratio's between the two? Will the latter be sustainable without the prepaid users?

Anakha56

All the best in trying to get your signal improved. The only thing you can do is to log a ticket with them for coverage issues, and hope they can improve it some time in the future.
And suffer through buffering while waiting for Netflix to try and work through this carp signal. Telkom have lied, they have not contacted me about alternatives and are being dead quite every time I try to contact them. My DSL is rock steady and works well.

pedruid

Expert Member
And suffer through buffering while waiting for Netflix to try and work through this carp signal. Telkom have lied, they have not contacted me about alternatives and are being dead quite every time I try to contact them. My DSL is rock steady and works well.
I lIve in PE and have had ADSL forever. No contact about termination of service. However, recently my speeds are all over the place, 1 min can’t get anything and the next 9.6 Mbps.

Thor

Honorary Master
ISPs in SA must be kaking in their pants.

If Telkom moves me from VDSL to LTE (here is no fiber because SADV cannot do a rollout properly) then WebAfrica is losing a 2TB cap account and VOX loses a fat pipe account.

Thor

Honorary Master
Add to this will Telkom be able to give me 40Mbps down / 10Mbps up + 200GB + 1TB cap for R900 p/m.

I doubt it.

Hourly stats for the last 2 years

AVG Ping || AVG dL || AVG up
28.58575ms || 36.610Mbps || 9.489Mbps

2019-08-01_11-07-07.png

2019-08-01_11-09-49.png

I really wish for Telkom to just leave me the fck alone. I am happy.

Last edited:

Spamhater

I have an ADSL 10 mb/s home unlimited upcapped .What will happen if my home alarm works with my copper line and Telkom change over to wireless .
Will my alarm company still get notified if the alarm triggered .

CataclysmZA

Expert Member
He added that uncapped DSL customers are more difficult to cater for. However, Telkom tailored LTE solutions which mirror their current services.

This entails limiting the speed of the LTE connection to the same level as their DSL line, but offering uncapped data for the same price.
So I'd get uncapped, shaped LTE for the same price as the 20Mb DSL I pay for now that only ever gets me 15Mbps in the evening after 9PM?

If that's the case, am I also going to get access to an APN that gives me Type 2 NAT instead of Type 3?

How are business lines going to be migrated over to LTE? There's no fiber in the majority of areas where businesses are located in SA, and they can't be expected to run on LTE which has even lower guarantees about minimum network performance.

Pythonista

I have an ADSL 10 mb/s home unlimited upcapped .What will happen if my home alarm works with my copper line and Telkom change over to wireless .
Will my alarm company still get notified if the alarm triggered .
I had to get my alarm updated. In this case, they moved it over to the backup radio link - which previously had carried very little actual information (zone etc). So now it only uses the radio link.