LCBXX

Honorary Master
Why are so many new housing developments completed without Telco cable infrastructure? We've been looking at some flats/townhouses to buy and out of 30:
1 had a copper phone line in the house
1 had Wifi in the complex
1 had SmartVillage infrastructure

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
Well this is good news. proof will of course only be in the pudding, but for some reason I am optimistic.

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
Why are so many new housing developments completed without Telco cable infrastructure? We've been looking at some flats/townhouses to buy and out of 30:
Good point.

Telkom really needs to work on including infrastructure in complexes.

Making deals with body corporates so that a fixed line could be included in the levies and stuff would be a great idea so that everyone in the complex has to have a phone line.

daWolf

I'm still unable to get an ADSL line installed in Kyalami. Yet my neighbors around me have lines. Sorry excuse of "no ports"

FuLL_MeT4L

Expert Member
All talk of course, but I'm glad to hear they're at least discussing the price vs addressable market dynamic openly.

Their customer service has definitely improved of late too, at least in my experience. Not top notch yet, but less appalling.

MickeyD

RIP
That's the fault of the developers. They know that they must get the Telcos involved during the civil work stage of construction. In this way all the necessary pipes and ducts are laid upfront. Once the complex is complete, the Body Corporate will normally not allow a Telco to dig up its roads, green areas, etc. It's also cheaper to lay the pipes/ducts in the civil work phase.

MickeyD

RIP
Good point.

Telkom really needs to work on including infrastructure in complexes.

Making deals with body corporates so that a fixed line could be included in the levies and stuff would be a great idea so that everyone in the complex has to have a phone line.
Why limit this to Telkom? Parkhurst comes to mind...

ajax

Executive Member
Stop forcing us to pay for an analog voice line, then I will bite.

MickeyD

RIP
Because with ADSL you can choose your ISP. The price for data in that parkurst development is absurd.
With LLU around the corner, it's surprising that so few folks have not jumped at this opportunity to invest and "claim" potentially high revenue generating complexes as their own.

Skerminkel

Expert Member
That's the fault of the developers. They know that they must get the Telcos involved during the civil work stage of construction. In this way all the necessary pipes and ducts are laid upfront. Once the complex is complete, the Body Corporate will normally not allow a Telco to dig up its roads, green areas, etc. It's also cheaper to lay the pipes/ducts in the civil work phase.
+100

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
Stop forcing us to pay for an analog voice line, then I will bite.
That fee pays for upkeep of the actual copper.

With LLU around the corner, it's surprising that so few folks have not jumped at this opportunity to invest and "claim" potentially high revenue generating complexes as their own.
Totally agree with this.

MickeyD

RIP
I wish I had your optimism re ICASA; and I hope you're right. :)
Come next month I will be joining Paul Hjul as a major irritant to ICASA and the Telcos... the last LLU workshop was promising but now is the time to get moving with the follow up on it.

FuLL_MeT4L

Expert Member
Come next month I will be joining Paul Hjul as a major irritant to ICASA and the Telcos... the last LLU workshop was promising but now is the time to get moving with the follow up on it.
Oh wow, that's great to hear. Team Paul & MickeyD will give them hell I'm sure!