The Audi Thread

airborne

Honorary Master
VAG interior soft tough surfaces have at least gotten better over the years :unsure: The B5 and B6 A4/MkIV Golf/9n and 9n3 Polo platforms interiors really aged badly if they weren't looked after properly.

What’s the easiest way to get that sticky mess off once it loses the plot?

airborne

Honorary Master
Oof :cool: Alcantara, CF, SatNav, manual, etc. I do miss my B6 A4 at times, despite having the red headed step child 1.8T engine it just drove so well, good fuel consumption, gave me minimal issues and was cheap to maintain.

What was wrong with the 1.8T engine, oil usage?

airborne

Honorary Master
sticky mess?

The plasticiser in the soft touch Matt finish they use all over the dash and other bits degrades and runs into a sticky mess.

It’s pretty common for that to happen on any product that uses that soft touch finish, I would have thought manufacturers would have stopped using it by now but no they still soldier on, it’s madness.

PhireSide

Honorary Master
The plasticiser in the soft touch Matt finish they use all over the dash and other bits degrades and runs into a sticky mess.

It’s pretty common for that to happen on any product that uses that soft touch finish, I would have thought manufacturers would have stopped using it by now but no they still soldier on, it’s madness.
Between soft-touch plastic and piano black trim, you’d think they’d have learnt their lesson

Neuk_

Executive Member
Between soft-touch plastic and piano black trim, you’d think they’d have learnt their lesson

Yep, I had soft touch in my 9n Polo and B6 A4 with piano black in my MkVII Golf, I wasn’t a fan of either as I felt they were both too ‘sensitive’ to little scratches.

PhireSide

Honorary Master
Yep, I had soft touch in my 9n Polo and B6 A4 with piano black in my MkVII Golf, I wasn’t a fan of either as I felt they were both too ‘sensitive’ to little scratches.
Exactly. Who'd have thunk that heat-sensitive rubberized coatings and glossy plastic that gets swirl marks as soon as you look at it was a good material to use in a product that sees more dust and dirt and temperature swings than most other moving objects you'll own?

Wrath of Khan

Anyone know where I can get an M12 triple-square?

Just looking at the tools I need to work on my car (control arm)