The Audi Thread

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
Audi just dropped off a 2013 A5 2.0T and took away my A5 to have it checked out. Went for a spin in the newer A5 quick to compare....

All I can say is I cannot wait for them to return my A5. They are so different. A 2.0 engine is so yesterday. Even with a turbo.

How is it that you seem to get such amazing personal service from Audi and they bend over backwards to make you happy with your car(s)? Do you have nude pics of the Dealer Principle or something? They must really like you a lot.. :)

Debeer165

Expert Member
Simple really. A turbo engine and a large N/A engine feel very different, and Mike is one who prefers the latter. Would be interesting to see his reactions to a 3.0 turbo though..

DominionZA

Executive Member
So u prefer ur old spec....pls elaborate if u don't mind

1. Cruising around town - I can hear the engine the whole time in the 2.0. Constant humming sound. While not bad - I can't hear a thing in my A5 unless I put my foot flat - and then it growls!! :)
2. The steering feels a bit looser. At first I thought it might be the tyres, but after checking - both cars have identical tyres on.
Now my A6 had extremely loose steering at slow speeds which was great, but the servotronic technology in it stiffened up the steering as the speed increased. Not sure if this newer A5 does this, and if it does - then it is better. Not sure of the specs on this vehicle.
3. Internally - they look identical. Just different colouring. So no complaints there.
4. When I put my foot flat and the turbo kicks in - the car pulls to the side. Not good. But this not a comparison between the cars. More a fault of some sort they have to sort out.

So while the newer A5 is not as good as my 2011 one (my opinion), I think if they had given me a 3.0TDI or something my view would be different. Just been a very long time since I owned anything smaller than a V6 and you can feel it in the drive - and hear it. I reckon the difference is like comparing flying eco vs business. Both still good, just one quite a bit better.

What spec is your A5 then?

2011 3.2 FSi Quattro Sportback S-Line.
New comer to the thread? :)

How is it that you seem to get such amazing personal service from Audi and they bend over backwards to make you happy with your car(s)? Do you have nude pics of the Dealer Principle or something? They must really like you a lot.. :)

I throw my toys out the cot :)
I have an intermittent metallic scraping sound that has reared it's ugly head 5 times now. The first time Audi assist took my car in and they made assumptions on what it could be and left it at that. It has happened another 4 times and when I complained I got humming and hah'ing - so I went up to the dealer principle on Monday afternoon.
The fact that I am on my fifth Audi with 3 being through this dealership also helps. You don't want to p1ss off a returning customer!

DominionZA

Executive Member
Simple really. A turbo engine and a large N/A engine feel very different, and Mike is one who prefers the latter. Would be interesting to see his reactions to a 3.0 turbo though..

Ya - what I said in my post below yours. My view would more than likely be very different in a 3.0T.

DominionZA

Executive Member
Yes, newcomer. Would love an RS3.

Raced an RS4 on the R21 in traffic on Tuesday coming back to JHB. Beat the bugger! But that just cause he made stupid decisions getting through the mass of cars :)

Would love to get my hands on any RS. The number don't matter much to me. Just want one. :)

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Audi just dropped off a 2013 A5 2.0T and took away my A5 to have it checked out. Went for a spin in the newer A5 quick to compare....

All I can say is I cannot wait for them to return my A5. They are so different. A 2.0 engine is so yesterday. Even with a turbo.

Be careful what you wish for, the next A5 they give you might be a 1.2 Twin Turbo... :D

Ecco

Executive Member
Anybody know a great panel beater for Audi vehicle in the JHB region?

DominionZA

Executive Member
+1

Also, I think the loose steering and humming could be down to the drivetrain. Is the loan car FWD, Multitronic?

Yup. Multitronic and FWD.

Have to say, multitronic has come a long way. My wife had multitronic in her 2005 A4 years back. I hated it. Was terrible. This A5 is great though. Very smooth transmission and virtually no lag.

Debeer165

Expert Member
That explains the droning humming of the engine. Good to hear the multi' has improved though!

EDIT: How's consumption?