The Brexit Thread

dw...

So you don't care to respond to the claims in the thread to that effect?
No, not really, as I said earlier, it’s just the blatant fake news I was replying to.

I know goulash comes from Hungary and the capital is Budapest but not much more about their own politics,

Gingerbeardman

Expert Member
No, not really, as I said earlier, it’s just the blatant fake news I was replying to.
while "limitations" may be available, what does it say about sovereignty and ultimate control when the EU has the final say in all these matters?

Non-EU members, even those with strict trade agreements with the EU, simply do not bow down to the EU in this fashion. Which is the core of brexit: actually being in control instead of going hat in hand to Brussels every time you want to make a change to your own country.
Hang on, why are you debating about Cameron? I don’t care about him, I thought we were discussing that EU member states do have some control over immigration of eu citizens and can deport those who arrive and don’t work or commit crime?
Why don't you care to respond to a point that goes directly to an earlier point you were disputing? The only reason that NBFTW brought up the "fake news" was to point out a mistaken presumption on your part about the way the EU works, and now you don't care to examine it. The fact of the matter is that the EU is doing its damndest to undermine the sovereignty of one of its members who dares to not toe the preferred EU line on immigration policies.

dw...

Why don't you care to respond to a point that goes directly to an earlier point you were disputing? The only reason that NBFTW brought up the "fake news" was to point out a mistaken presumption on your part about the way the EU works, and now you don't care to examine it. The fact of the matter is that the EU is doing its damndest to undermine the sovereignty of one of its members who dares to not toe the preferred EU line on immigration policies.
You’ve just proven my point there, there are indeed some restrictions allowed to eu countries, right up to deportation if a eu citizen is deemed to not be in accordance with the regulations.

There will always be a loss of sovereignty in a political union, but there is still some “control over immigration of eu citizens” allowed, no matter what Narrowband thinks.

Gingerbeardman

Expert Member
You’ve just proven my point there, there are indeed some restrictions allowed to eu countries, right up to deportation if a eu citizen is deemed to not be in accordance with the regulations.

There will always be a loss of sovereignty in a political union, but there is still some “control over immigration of eu citizens” allowed, no matter what Narrowband thinks.
No, I did not prove your point, I disproved it because you are attempting to contradict brute reality with your theoretical construct. You do not respond to the facts that contradict your theory. In this case, instead of being able to regulate their own immigration policies like you claimed, the EU started moving for legal sanctions against Hungary for a "breach of core values".

dw...

No, I did not prove your point, I disproved it because you are attempting to contradict brute reality with your theoretical construct. You do not respond to the facts that contradict your theory. In this case, instead of being able to regulate their own immigration policies like you claimed, the EU started moving for legal sanctions against Hungary for a "breach of core values".
Which was to do with failing to take their quota of refugees under the EU quota system, I think?

dw...

So in other words, Hungary doesn't have any control over how many immigrants it has to take in because it is being dictated to unilaterally by the EU.
I think it can decide and make policy on normal immigrants, but is expected to take a quota of refugees as decided by the eu.

Immigrants don’t necessarily equate to refugees imo.

Gingerbeardman

Expert Member
I think it can decide and make policy on normal immigrants, but is expected to take a quota of refugees as decided by the eu.

Immigrants don’t necessarily equate to refugees imo.
The vast majority of "refugees" are economic migrants that aren't even from the EU. As per the articles I linked earlier, the EU was sanctioning Hungary because Hungary had the temerity to make it a crime to help people game the system by telling the migrants what they have to say in order to get taken in as refugees. In other words, the EU was taking potshots at Hungary for trying to keep immigration under control.

TheDonald

I think they must do Brexit as soon as possible. I want to have the arrogant Brits for breakfast. Will open an IHOP in that palace of theirs.

TheDonald

And as soon as they get out of Europe. I'm gonna get them to build a wall around Britain. And they're gonna pay us for it.

Because I build the best walls.

noxibox

Honorary Master
So in other words, Hungary doesn't have any control over how many immigrants it has to take in because it is being dictated to unilaterally by the EU.
No, Hungary has an agreement with the EU, so the EU is making unilateral decisions. Who forced Hungary to join? Is their government threatening to leave the EU?

noxibox

Honorary Master
All of this is missing the point. Whether the UK stays in the EU or leaves, but stays in the EEA, they don't get an exemption from the rules for free movement of EU citizens. Their only option if they want everyone to use the same process to apply to enter the country is to leave without a deal and then try to negotiate a trade deal with the EU that doesn't include free movement.

BBSA

Honorary Master
Boris Johnson, considered the frontrunner to succeed British Prime Minister Theresa May, said on Saturday he would refuse to pay the country's Brexit bill until the EU agrees better withdrawal terms.

The former foreign secretary -- the leading contender to replace May after her resignation as Conservative leader Friday -- also signalled he would scrap a controversial provision for the Irish border contained in the current divorce deal.

"Our friends and partners need to understand that the money is going to be retained until such time as we have greater clarity about the way forward," he told The Sunday Times.

"In getting a good deal, money is a great solvent and a great lubricant," Johnson added, in his first newspaper interview since launching his bid to become Britain's next premier.

https://amp.france24.com/en/20190609-uks-boris-johnson-says-would-withhold-brexit-bill-pm

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master

dw...

well let's see, because:

blatant falsehood after ...

blatant falsehood with a bit of ...

hilarious and utter fabrication

yep ... trolling hard
Sorry, Narrowband, but I did post links to back up what I stated, something you didn’t do (you did post a link to support yourself but that actually proved my point iirc).

And I didn’t get upset and make any insulting comment towards you in any post, something you did more than a few times.

Maybe it’s time to just say to you it’s better not to post fake news statements and leave it there.

Have a nice day :)

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
something you did more than a few times
my humblest apologies if your frail self-esteem took a knock outside of your echo chamber from mere discussion

I put it to you that either your frailty is the problem, or you are lying intentionally seeing as you cannot provide a single quote from me to you that happens to be "insulting"

btw, offense is taken, never given