The Brexit Thread

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Was the deadline ever immovable?

Unless there is an election and some party happy to leave without a deal gets power a no deal exit seems unlikely.

ECJ ruling on Article 50

Of course there's technology for the Irish border - that doesn't mean it will work. So is there a current working example? Because the EU has never claimed the backstop would or should be permanent. If the technology exists now and is in operation on either the Irish border or some other border and can be quickly implemented for the Irish border then no backstop will be needed. In that case no-one would object to exiting right now with the backstop as part of the agreement because the backstop will be gone in a matter of days, if not hours, once this working technology solution is quickly implemented.

So it does appear there are no signs they'll fold.
The problem with the backstop is not with the EU, it is with the UK.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
Was the deadline ever immovable?
Yes, the EU stated that in no uncertain terms multiple times.

Big difference between "extending article 50" and "revoking article 50" btw, those are two different times that the EU showed that they will fold.

noxibox

Honorary Master
So it should be easy to post a link to a quote from the EU team stating that under no circumstances will the deadline ever be extended. I only recall them not being interested in extensions for sake of extensions. In other words the UK simply stalling.

The EU government was not involved in the court decision regarding revoking from what I've read. According to the article posted they in fact were of the opinion that it could not be revoked and said as much. It looks like it was UK MPs who raised the case.

I'm really keen to see this proven border technology that is already in place somewhere and that can be put in place quickly for the Irish border.

The problem with the backstop is not with the EU, it is with the UK.
Yes, but the Leave side talks about it as though the EU came up with it as part of a conspiracy against the UK. It seems to me they gave the UK two options - a border between Northern Ireland and the Republic or a border between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
So it should be easy to post a link to a quote from the EU team stating that under no circumstances will the deadline ever be extended. I only recall them not being interested in extensions for sake of extensions. In other words the UK simply stalling.

The EU government was not involved in the court decision regarding revoking from what I've read. According to the article posted they in fact were of the opinion that it could not be revoked and said as much. It looks like it was UK MPs who raised the case.

I'm really keen to see this proven border technology that is already in place somewhere and that can be put in place quickly for the Irish border.

Yes, but the Leave side talks about it as though the EU came up with it as part of a conspiracy against the UK. It seems to me they gave the UK two options - a border between Northern Ireland and the Republic or a border between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK.
I think no-one thought about it before the vote and the implications hit both sides like a hurricane after it. If Remain had thought of it they would have used it during the campaign as the impossibility of the situation could have had a big bearing on the eventual voting.

Simply put, both of the options you mention are unworkable and will never be accepted by the respective opposing sides. Technology is the only way and for that the implementation is not an overnight solution. It could take years and even then, I’d imagine it’d be fairly easy for an asylum seeker to cross an unmanned border. So what’s the point of the technology which I assume only deals with people in vehicles?

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
So it should be easy to post a link to a quote from the EU team stating that under no circumstances will the deadline ever be extended
most of the bluffing happened in 2017, you'll have to go back in this thread, the proof is there

Google sadly has too many brexit related hits and narrowing it down is tricky, here's another bluff about April 2019 being the "final" deadline:
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/apr/03/eu-leaders-urged-to-refuse-may-appeal-for-further-brexit-delay

take a look at your calendar, note we're past April ...

The EU27 is looking at an extension until at least the end of the year, with the most probable end date being the end of March 2020
note also the current bluff is set before the end of the year ...

noxibox

Honorary Master
most of the bluffing happened in 2017, you'll have to go back in this thread, the proof is there

Google sadly has too many brexit related hits and narrowing it down is tricky, here's another bluff about April 2019 being the "final" deadline:
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/apr/03/eu-leaders-urged-to-refuse-may-appeal-for-further-brexit-delay

take a look at your calendar, note we're past April ...
And they never did say no extension whatsoever. So no there is no sign they're about to fold.

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
Brexit: Team behind Boris Johnson's 'high-tech' border plan admit they have no idea how much it will cost

'We don’t have a figure,' think-tank tells MPs

Rob MerrickDeputy Political Editor @Rob_Merrick

The proposers of hi-tech solutions to avoid Irish border checks after Brexit, backed by Boris Johnson, have admitted they have no idea what they would cost.

Quizzed by MPs, the head of the Prosperity UK think-tank denied the annual bill would be £13bn, but acknowledged: “We don’t have a figure.”

The stance was criticised by one MP on the Commons Northern Ireland committee, independent Syliva Hermon, who told Shanker Singham: “Somewhere you must have made a calculation of the cost?”

Mr Johnson has made so-called “alternative arrangements” to solve the border controversy a key plank of his promise to renegotiate Theresa May’s divorce deal.

On Monday, the Tory leadership favourite insisted there were “abundant” technical solutions, but “no single magic bullet”, to settle the issue.

Prosperity UK, funded by a Brexit-supporting hedge fund manager, has already acknowledged the plan would take up to three years to implement – so would not be ready for a no-deal Brexit in October.

It would also require the EU opening up computer systems, to prevent VAT fraud, and argues for the Irish Republic to shifts food and animal standards from EU to UK rules – both of which are likely to be opposed.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-boris-johnson-irish-border-backstop-prosperity-uk-northern-ireland-a8975241.html

No surprises here. 3 years...the Brexiteers say, and we don't have the costs.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
Brexit and austerity has contributed to far bigger fall in living standards than 1990s recession, research finds

The Brexit vote coupled with austerity has hurt household incomes more than anything other than recessions in the past 60 years and has done even more damage than the economic slump of the early 1990s, research has found.

Typical household incomes have fallen by 0.5 per cent over the past two years compared with a rise of 0.3 per cent between 1991 and 1993, when the economy was going through and then recovering from recession, according to the annual Living Standards Audit by the Resolution Foundation.

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
Now BoJo needs to appoint an explicitly pro-Brexit cabinet. Come on Jacob Rees-Mogg, Dominic Raab, Priti Patel etc.

Lefties are apoplectic. Today is a glorious day. Can we help her pack her bags?

EAKErtzX4AIqSWG.jpeg

buka001

Expert Member
Yes, this is good.

Boris and whatever gaggle of cronies he appoints will soon be hit by the inexorable reality of the situation and fail. They will fail. Boris lacks the competence to deliver this. He lacks common understanding of the principles at play.

Finally, just maybe some reality will settle into this Brexit madness, because the "only man who can deliver this" will fail and then the next question will be what now?

Bring it on.