The Brexit Thread

access

Executive Member
Hence why this is not the same thing. Neither side wanted a sanctions scenario. Simply terminating any trade relationship with the EU is easy, but the consequences of doing so are serious.

The exit cannot have been seen coming because the UK government still can't agree on how to exit. Big companies have been making worst case scenario plans for years. They can afford to do it. If they're wrong they'll just absorb the cost. So they'll set up everything so they can move to the continent if the exit interferes with their business. They can have everything set up to stay in the UK, in case that is the better option when the time comes, and set up their internal processes ready to go. They can plan for two offices. Smaller businesses just can't do all this. The cost of backing the wrong option can wipe them out.

The UK was given completely reasonable options. The UK government has instead decided to make it as hard as possible. It is made harder because they rely on the DUP nutters to maintain their hold on power in the UK. Of the Conservatives some are all for leaving without any deal, as they stand to benefit personally from that scenario. The rest want to a deal. But some don't want to stay in the EEA and they don't want a border between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK. The EU wants that border because they're looking out for one of their member states.

As far as I can see the EU has been quite reasonable and the deal they offered gave the UK a way to smoothly shift away from being a member of the union.
youre still missing my point. i know its not the same thing. i said when sanctions do happen, business adapts, quicker than a 3 year lead time.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
As a member of the EU, they're probably legally not even allowed to say anything yet regarding any new deals. So it's wise for Boris to keep his mouth shut until 1 November.
Remarkable how similar that looks to having no deals lined up at all.

buka001

Expert Member
Last edited:

noxibox

Honorary Master
I said when sanctions do happen, business adapts, quicker than a 3 year lead time.
Small businesses get f**ked and bigger businesses waste money trying to deal with it. Probably takes at least 6 months from the time they know it is actually happening and they have exact details of the nature of the sanctions. However no-one has had three years to adapt to anything here because leaving the EU has not happened yet, and the exact nature of that exit has remained in flux for three years. As I stated big businesses did put in place contingency plans because they can eat the cost. Smaller businesses were quite clear they cannot afford to spend money planning for scenarios that might not happen.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
I'm always amazed at the Brexiteers. The government's own planning reveals the dangers of no deal Brexit. And yet they claim everything will be fine.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
It will be better than fine... The UK will be stronger....
Did you read the operation yellowhammer stuff? Do you know what the UK government itself is predicting?

Just as a reminder - the UK government knows more about Brexit than you.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Did you read the operation yellowhammer stuff? Do you know what the UK government itself is predicting?

Just as a reminder - the UK government knows more about Brexit than you.
Yeah, I've skimmed it... and the UK is predicting unpleasantness....

And yup, the UK government knows more about Brexit than any of us do (on either side of the argument)... problem is what the government knows doesn't seem to flow up to the politicians in charge...

buka001

Expert Member
And in response I give you this (reminder for all who don't follow UK politics closely, Gove is effectively in charge of No Deal preparations).

and Gibraltar says it is out of date:

Various sources have cross referenced certain predictions (for example predictions about water safety with DEFRA) in that report and it looks like the report was likely produced late July, Early August 2019.

Dave

Honorary Master
vile bigot! did you just assume zir's gender?!?

/spits
First elected as the first Member of Parliament for the Witham constituency in May 2010, Priti was subsequently re-elected in May 2015 and in 2017. Priti was born in London and educated at a comprehensive girls school in Watford. She went on to study economics at Keele University before completing her postgraduate studies at the University of Essex.

Her life experiences were not forged in a bastion of privilege sheltered from the real world. Enterprise and hard work have shaped Priti’s life, values and beliefs.