The cooking thread for beginners and me

flarkit

Executive Member
I started out with stir-fries: chopped veggies and pieces of chicken, meat or fish. A little oil, heat wok, do some onions first, then add meat/fish/chicken, with garlic. Brown for 5min, then add veggies and cook until the veg is hot. Add salt and any herbs spices.

Trawl recipe sites for something easy to cook, that grabs your interest and practise

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I came from a 'Western' background as far as cooking is concerned, so when I met Mr Blu, I had to learn about Indian Cuisine.

I literally started by buying a few good cookbooks and followed the recipes step by step (no deviation!).

It will obviously work with any cuisine and if you do it often enough, you start becoming bolder and experiment a little here and there.

Normally the recipe books will tell you what foods are good accompaniments to your main dish.
:)

Alan

Honorary Master
How can you improve on something you've never tasted? :rolleyes:
Is this going to turn into another of those threads? :rolleyes: :mad:
Yikes don't mess with Bwana when he's in the kitchen

:D

IMO cooking is a chore. I cook what I have too to survive and that's it. If my Rouelle cooker ceased to exist I'd have to find some way of hiring a cook :eek:

Lycanthrope

Honorary Master
*sigh* And so it begins...

Well, first off - I'm a vegetarian, so... Eh... It's up to the general populous if you'd like to try 'em...

Two recipes that I really love to make...

Pizza - from scratch!

4 cups of flour
1 2g sachet of yeast
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup luke-warm water

Mix together by hand and add flour every now and then until it has a firm yet soft consistency. Stuff in a large bowl, cover with a cloth and place it in a warm/sunny area for about an hour.

In the mean time you can start making the tomato covering/pizzaiola (no idea if that's the correct term, I found it on a site and it sounds know-howy :))

Chop and fry one onion and 2 gloves of garlic
Add 2 tins of chopped tomato and cook until it's reduced
Blend in a food processor and spread it over the base when done! :D

Should make 3 bases.

My favourite toppings are:

Peppadews
Gorgonzola Igor
Mozzarella
Cheddar
Feta
Garlic
Mushrooms
Peppers
Pineapple - other half likes it :)

The Gorgonzola and peppadews work wonderfully together. As a vegetarian there are also some fake strips of "meat" that I like to add as well - I love them. Also fake bacon bits :D

Oh, and the bases are crispy bases when thin! Can also leave them to rise a little to make them thicker, but I like my bases thin, so.. :D Also, when rolling out the bases, it helps to roll them out in flour so they don't stick to the pizza tray and they end up being very.. er... nice :x I likes flour ^.^

Other recipe I love making...

FALAFELS!!!

2 cups chickpeas
1 onion
2 cloves garlic
4 tablespoons parsley
2 tablespoons coriander
2 teaspoons cumin powder
and half a teaspoon baking powder

Soak the chickpeas over night, when they're nice and soft drain 'em and blend 'em. When they're blended add everything else and blend some more :D Put it in a bowl, add some breadcrumbs, shape 'em into little balls - squeeze out any excess water or liquid - and fry 'em!

They're veeeeery nice XD Of course you put them in one of those pita things that you cut open. They go great with anything. I like peppers, those fake meat strips I mentioned earlier and 1000 Island sauce along with them :)

Yay! Cooking! :D

Keeper

Honorary Master
--Boiled Egg Recipe--
Level: Beginnner
Needs: an egg

-Take one egg from fridge (ok ok you can use more if you have to)
-Add to pot, of boiling water (you may add them before it's about to boil too)
-Boil
-Take spoon, and remove 1 - if the water on it evaporates, it's done.

Takes aprox 15 minutes

not bad if you slice 'em up, add onto bread/toast with a bit of pepper and mayo.

Lycanthrope

Honorary Master
hmm... That's something I haven't had since I was a kid... Might force other half to make some tonight :D

gdot

I use Cooking by Numbers. Choose your ingredients and appropriate recipes pop up (easier to stick to the recipe if you have the ingredients!)
http://www.cookingbynumbers.com/frames.html

Click on the "Skills by Numbers" link on the left for all the basics cooking books don't teach.

Keeper

Honorary Master
nobody like my recipe ?

fine - guess i'll need to start a cooking for n00bs thread, as "beginner" is too advanced for my cooking!

Lycanthrope

Honorary Master
I said I'd try it, didn't I? >.> *throws peanuts at Keeper*

At least SOMEONE *waves frantically* likes your recipe :(

Lycanthrope

Honorary Master
They're made from texturised soy protein :p I like them as well and I'm not even vegetarian.
Pff :p Spoil sport :p

Yeah, meat-eaters seem to like them too :p So they're good :D Wouldn't say they taste like meat though, but I like them for what they are :D