The cooking thread for beginners and me

Lycanthrope

Honorary Master
not for veg-heads, no :p
lol :D So? I can still appreciate a good recipe, even if I won't eat it :) I might substitute the meat though, if it's really good ;) Humour me :)

@ EviLDarkElf - hehe :D No probs :D Was probably just going to last until he asked what it's made or consists of :D

Peder

Hobbit
i started cooking at 12 when my mom got cancer and couldn't really move around, so was forced to start, i think one of my first dishes was a cake, everyone i know knows i make cake so whenever there's a party or a get together i don't bring anything but CAKe he he he

Lycanthrope

Honorary Master
i started cooking at 12 when my mom got cancer and couldn't really move around, so was forced to start, i think one of my first dishes was a cake, everyone i know knows i make cake so whenever there's a party or a get together i don't bring anything but CAKe he he he
Cake ftw! Feel like sharing a recipe? Other half and I once attempted a chocolate kahlua cake recipe together... Needless to say we went a bit wild with the kahlua :eek: Was nice though :) Potent, but nice :D

Peder

Hobbit
tupperware make a nice recipe always comes out to perfection,(BTW this type of cake is called a Chiffon Cake)

550ml Flour
350ml Sugat
20ml Baking Powder
60ml Cocoa
1ml Salt
4 Egg Yolks
275ml Oil
5ml Vanilla Essence
275ml Boiling water
4 Egg whites (make sure you don't get any egg yellows in the egg whites!!)

1. Preheat Oven to 180 Degrees C.
2. Sift Dry Ingredients together
3. In a Seperate bowl mix egg yolks, oil, vanilla well
4. Add the mixture in number 3 to dry ingredients along with the boiling water and mix
5. Mix Egg white until stiff (when you turn the bowl upside down the egg must be stuck and not fall out)
6. Fold(with a stainless steel spoon, not wood) Egg whites into other mixture
7. Pour batter into pans, bake for 25-30mins,

Its Delicious we usually make it in a big glass dish and it lasts 2days max, VERY moist

Keeper

Honorary Master
"Toasted Delight"

Requires:
Bread, butter, cheese, tomato, origanum.

Level:
[Doofey] -------|---------------------- [Ainsley]
(IE: Beginned to Intermediate)

1) Butter the bread
2) Place sliced tomatoes onto it, and add grated cheese ABOVE it.
3) Spring some salt & origanum onto it, maybe even some pepper if you prefer.

Place in oven @ 220, and heat from below, to toast the bottom of the bread, for 3 minutes. set heat to ABOVE griller, and toast till cheese is melted, and some of the bread starts to burn SLIGHTLY at the sides.

remove, and enjoy.

Last edited:

blunomore

Honorary Master
"Toasted Delight"

Requires:
Bread, butter, cheese, tomatow, origanum.

Level:
[Doofey] -------|---------------------- [Ainsley]
(IE: Beginned to Intermediate)

1) Butter the bread
2) Place sliced tomatoes onto it, and add grated cheese ABOVE it.
3) Spring some salt & origanum onto it, maybe even some pepper if you prefer.

Place in oven @ 220, and heat from below, to toast the bottom of the bread, for 3 minutes. set heat to ABOVE griller, and toast till cheese is melted, and some of the bread starts to burn SLIGHTLY at the sides.

remove, and enjoy.
I guess this REALLY is the thread for absolute beginners, then :D

In which case, I'd love someone to teach me how to make a Cape Malay dish.

Pooky

Garfield's Teddy
I have a request. I really want to make donuts like they make in Pick n' Pay and spar... Can someone help me?

Thanks.

Keeper

Honorary Master
I have a request. I really want to make donuts like they make in Pick n' Pay and spar... Can someone help me?

Thanks.
Wrong thread pooks, AFAIK dough is off limits in this thread - this is for Beginners / Starting Male Cooks :eek:

maybe search for the more advanced threads?

Lycanthrope

Honorary Master

Thanks.
Euuuuw! You call THOSE things "donuts?!" Euuuw.. NEVER! *hiss* *hiss*

I've only once made donuts... And they were nyummy little mini donuts that you dunk in a chocolate sauce... That was a few years ago when I still liked "sweet" things...

adelp

Expert Member

Thanks.
You buy the ready make dough. Make vetkoek but i'm not sure about the hole.... it can not be that complicated.

fionab

Well just to start my husband does all the cooking as I work and often get in late. He started to learn from a few basics I taught him and I must say is a very good cook now and has the confidence to tackle anythin. The secret I belive is in the planning and knowing what you like. I host a site where there is a slant on cooking and all the recipes and menu plans are tried and tested and I can say easy to do. Feel free to sign up as it is a members only site - free but needs you to register.
Here is the link http://www.fabsspot.com
Fell free to ask me for advice if you want help with menu planning and recipes