The Craft Beer Thread

BCO

Honorary Master
Capetonians - we have two small batches on tap at Drifter today. (1) Suckerpunch Sour - a blonde ale soured with our own strain of wild bacteria. (2) Our Smoked Porter/Barrel Aged Doppelbok half and half blend - this will be the first opportunity for the public to get an idea of the flavours in our Doppelbok that's coming out later in June. Pull in!

Toxxyc

Expert Member
I'm struggling to find good stouts and sweet stouts in Pretoria. I've looked around my house at the common shops but they all stock Castle Milk Stout, Guinness and Castle Chocolate Stout. Yay. A few months ago I happened upon a Birkenhead Chocolate Stout that was really good, but now it's gone again.

Can anyone recommend something that's both available and, well, not Birkenhead price (aka R50 for a 500ml bottle).

phoenix99

Expert Member
I'm struggling to find good stouts and sweet stouts in Pretoria. I've looked around my house at the common shops but they all stock Castle Milk Stout, Guinness and Castle Chocolate Stout. Yay. A few months ago I happened upon a Birkenhead Chocolate Stout that was really good, but now it's gone again.

Can anyone recommend something that's both available and, well, not Birkenhead price (aka R50 for a 500ml bottle).
I'd reccommend Fraser's Folly Moerkoffie stout

Verde

https://www.checkers.co.za/LiquorShop/whats-new.html

The Checkers liquor shops in pta east stock Eichbaum extra stout which is worth a try and very cheap at R70 for 6 500ml cans. Bit strong though at 7.5%.
The Eichbaum Red beer is even better.

Raven stout (Mitchell's brewery) is available from the Tops in Moreletapark. (I love the stuff).

morkhans

A MyBroadband
Super Moderator
https://www.checkers.co.za/LiquorShop/whats-new.html

The Checkers liquor shops in pta east stock Eichbaum extra stout which is worth a try and very cheap at R70 for 6 500ml cans. Bit strong though at 7.5%.
The Eichbaum Red beer is even better.

Raven stout (Mitchell's brewery) is available from the Tops in Moreletapark. (I love the stuff).
Thanks. Grabbed the red and the stout. Just cracked open the red and it's really nice.