The disc drive is dead

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Imo apple removes features before their replacements are widespread, which forces you to buy all sorts of extra dongles and such.

Then when those replacement features become widespread they try to take credit for being innovative.

10 years ago we needed disc drives.
Apple forced adoption. So yes they remove them to push us forward, and a small minority have a **** over it but ultimately everyone benefits.

Things like digital app store and general distribution wouldn't be where they are today if someone wasn't a dick about it at some point.

Consoles could have been miles ahead already if they just stopped making physical media.

Apple took the drives away and even I was like...WHY????? Then six months later I had forgotten all about it realising I didn't actually need it.

That's progress.

Swa

Honorary Master
So because MS decided to release a stripped down XBox the disc drive is suddenly dead? Clickity baity articles ftw.

The issue isn't so much with the drives as it is with their replacements. BD never reached realistic levels as the drives remain too expensive for some reason. We were supposed to have holographic storage by now but development on that has stalled. Optical won't truly die any time soon and as long as we are waiting for the replacements CD and DVD will remain in use.

Anybody with a PC/Laptop that still has an optical drive can you would 100% certainly tell me it's still working. (You not allowed to check)
Yes. Bought one for my Ryzen build as I never upgraded to SATA. Just the other day used it to play a game that ironically you can't get anywhere else.

Swa

Honorary Master
Apple forced adoption. So yes they remove them to push us forward, and a small minority have a **** over it but ultimately everyone benefits.

Things like digital app store and general distribution wouldn't be where they are today if someone wasn't a dick about it at some point.

Consoles could have been miles ahead already if they just stopped making physical media.

Apple took the drives away and even I was like...WHY????? Then six months later I had forgotten all about it realising I didn't actually need it.

That's progress.
No it's laziness. Digital distribution (not just with Apple) is where it is because of better internet. The internet is still not good enough everywhere even in developed countries to completely get rid of physical media. Apple simply took a shortcut at a time when nobody was ready for it and now that their move has finally caught up with the future (not the other way around) there's the usual claims of "forward thinking".

garyc

Expert Member
Still use them. Some companies have procedures for the transfer of confidential data using physical media. This often means encrypted files on optical disks. The reason for optical disks rather than flash drives is that the configuration details can be written on the disk, thereby facilitating the overall process.

The other reason for optical disks is when a friend asks some files and you know that they are very bad at handing back flash drives.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
No it's laziness. Digital distribution (not just with Apple) is where it is because of better internet. The internet is still not good enough everywhere even in developed countries to completely get rid of physical media. Apple simply took a shortcut at a time when nobody was ready for it and now that their move has finally caught up with the future (not the other way around) there's the usual claims of "forward thinking".
Absolutely zero need for physical media.

I haven’t even used a flash drive in years other than for the purpose of reinstalling computers that are still backwards with no internet recovery like a Mac...

Internet has little to do with it. The world has enough internet to make it happen now.

Any places that don’t have enough internet also don’t have stuff that uses physical media.

sajunky

Honorary Master
Still use them. Some companies have procedures for the transfer of confidential data using physical media. This often means encrypted files on optical disks. The reason for optical disks rather than flash drives is that the configuration details can be written on the disk, thereby facilitating the overall process.

The other reason for optical disks is when a friend asks some files and you know that they are very bad at handing back flash drives.
These write-once disks are very useful, as nobody can make changes later. By example regular backups of security camera footage on DRD-R media can be required for the law purpose.

sajunky

Honorary Master
Au contraire mon ami, the heading says it all, "The disc drive is dead".

The term 'disc' is associated & used for optical media/devices whereas the term 'disk' is used for magnetic media/devices.
I agree with OP. Disk drive is also floppy drive, hard drive. Any device using rotating (spinning) media..

Last edited:

Swa

Honorary Master
You're dreaming.

I haven’t even used a flash drive in years other than for the purpose of reinstalling computers that are still backwards with no internet recovery like a Mac...
Less than 10% of households in SA has internet that can make that a reality.

Internet has little to do with it. The world has enough internet to make it happen now.
You used the operative word there. Only now and in developed countries. Even then it isn't applicable everywhere.

Any places that don’t have enough internet also don’t have stuff that uses physical media.
Plenty of rural areas in the U.S. even does. There's still people that use dial up.

dabbler

Expert Member
I feel sorry for the poor guys in the rural parts of the country where there are no high speed connections and who rely solely on edge or 3G.

supersunbird

Honorary Master

So out of touch with reality, you are.

^what Yoda would say

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
There remain ways around the physical media even without super internet.

The Xbox One for instance let’s you copy any data from a mate. Not that they’ve taken the physical media option away either, it’s fully optional.

Generally people using and living with tech also don’t have one single source of internet. They move around between work and home and other locations.

Many ways to skin a cat.

Lupus

Honorary Master
You also need some form of physical for Windows ten. A memory stick or something to boot off first.

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
Au contraire mon ami, the heading says it all, "The disc drive is dead".

The term 'disc' is associated & used for optical media/devices whereas the term 'disk' is used for magnetic media/devices.
Yeah, saw it afterwards.

I'm sure there was no intent to create (a seemingly) more interresting headline. ;)

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I am still waiting to see whether Google Stadia will revolutionise the gaming market. Many pundits believe that it will kill console and other gaming marketplaces (and launchers), some even hint at being gratis powered by Google Ad campaigns. I don't know, it is a noble business plan, but I don't see the market penetration and adoption en masse.

I do, however, like the monthly subscription models (and incentive) models. Origin Access is brilliant. You don't purchase games on Steam, Epic, etc. in any case, you subscribe to a use (or licensing) agreement.

I can see where MS is heading to, they are adapting.

On another note, Zip drives are still a thing though rare. Like to see it being used in music creation, though it is more a hobby.