The Division

PhreeMe

Expert Member
The Beta for this game opens a little later this month, and bar hearing what people lucky enough to get in have to say, is anyone else keeping an eye on this game?

My worry is that it's Ubisoft again, who has still left me with a bitter taste after the whole Watchdogs "incident".
There are already graphical downgrade comparisons popping up, but in a quick search, all I could find was something along the lines of Ubisoft saying that the "PC version won't be downgraded to match consoles", which is hopefully a good sign...

Beyond that, I'm harbouring some hope here, as the world that has been created appeals to me. That being said, I need to revisit GTA 5's Downtown area as the world us supposedly 20% larger than that.

So, are you interested?
Have you pre-ordered? I haven't as yet.
Perhaps MyBB can make some waves in the Darkzone.

EXhale1N

I am fighting the urge to pre-order anything, a person can only be burned so many times before he becomes ash.

The Division is on my wishlist, along with Rainbow Six Siege... I am currently trying to finish Batman AK on the other hand.

PhreeMe

Expert Member
I am fighting the urge to pre-order anything, a person can only be burned so many times before he becomes ash.

The Division is on my wishlist, along with Rainbow Six Siege... I am currently trying to finish Batman AK on the other hand.
I agree with your sentiment. Haven't pre-ordered out of fear of being dramatically let down.

Looks pretty good, but this put me off completely.
After reading that, I am still comfortable with the type of game it aims to be. If were just an Online Shooter, I would expect to have a more "swift death" approach. Even after watching some of the gameplay on Youtube, that was never a thing that bothered me. For me the fear has always been rooted in keeping me interested. While I like the world, and the gameplay looks like it could be fun, I don't know enough about any sort of varied 'endgame' content aside from the Darkzone.

GforceD

Executive Member
Keen to try it, but after my Hardline pre-order burn i am still a bit raw. Drop a grand on a game and I've not even downloaded the new dlc because I can play a decent match online. Damn i am still really upset about that, I loved that game.

At least with the division there a single play campaign, I hope persistant multiplayer world is better than GTA V with out local server the game it always laggy and just not at all enjoyable online. Or at least for me.

The game style and its time-to-kill in the game looks like its going for a more console type gear of war, or last of us style, which is a nice change. I may wait and pick it up for on PS4 though, I need to pick up a PS4 first though.

GforceD

Executive Member

I just 240% Batman AK . Now waiting for a Siege sale.

PhreeMe

Expert Member
Keen to try it, but after my Hardline pre-order burn i am still a bit raw. Drop a grand on a game and I've not even downloaded the new dlc because I can play a decent match online. Damn i am still really upset about that, I loved that game.

At least with the division there a single play campaign, I hope persistant multiplayer world is better than GTA V with out local server the game it always laggy and just not at all enjoyable online. Or at least for me.

The game style and its time-to-kill in the game looks like its going for a more console type gear of war, or last of us style, which is a nice change. I may wait and pick it up for on PS4 though, I need to pick up a PS4 first though.
Regarding GTA, have you tried with multiple ISP's? It ran fine for me on both Telkom and Crystalweb.

As for the pre-order, it's not so much that I'll never do it (already took the leap for XCOM2) but rather look at the track-record of the Devs. Ubisoft had it's fool-me-once with Watchdogs, hence my reservation and why I was REALLY hoping to get into the Beta.

While I agree with you on it at least having PvE sections, I do also think it will be best enjoyed with (even just 1) friends/regular squaddies.

Batista

Executive Member
Not with the current ZAR - $.Im only getting Doom this year, dont see any other worth titles coming out soon besides Guerilla's new RPG.

GforceD

Executive Member
Not with the current ZAR - $.Im only getting Doom this year, dont see any other worth titles coming out soon besides Guerilla's new RPG.

Well now the good new that steam is charging in Rands instead of US$ the games are a little cheaper, sadly the rand went down the toilet.

animehero

Expert Member
Why not test the Beta out?

Pre-order through amazon.
They send you the beta code via email.
Cancel the order and download a whooping 28GB :( to test

GforceD

Executive Member
Why not test the Beta out?

Pre-order through amazon.
They send you the beta code via email.
Cancel the order and download a whooping 28GB :( to test
you can also buy a beta key from g2a.com for US$2

CMaster

I was super excited for this game until i watched this! :confused:
Just a clear example why you should never pre-order, #hatingUbisoft

[video=youtube;fW6kehLgXdY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW6kehLgXdY[/video]

Last edited:

GforceD

Executive Member

[video=youtube;fW6kehLgXdY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW6kehLgXdY[/video]

a lot of people seem to be complaining about the time-to-kill being to high. I still think though that it's going to be really good,
but in the mean while i am going to go play metal gear now that i picked it up on sale. And anyone want a kidney need to upgrade my 770

PhreeMe

Expert Member
Here's the thing though, I don't dispute the graphics have been toned down, but A) that is a console comparison and B) people seemingly seem to say the PC version does look a lot better. If you were planning on getting on the Xbox.... my apologies :D

Another thing I keep in mind is how often this happens. It just annoys me that Ubisoft is making a name for themselves doing it.

Pascal & Artic Island architectures coming out soon so maybe wait a bit.
Soon being relative though? Second half of the year seems to be the estimates?
That being said, I AM waiting for that for my next upgrade :)

PhreeMe

Expert Member
Right, so I got into the beta and managed to play it on Sunday.... 25gb later.

Here's my experience and impressions. Forgive the texty wall.
My concern still lingers around actual end-game content. In about 5 hours worth of play (was afk for periods in that as well) I managed to reach level 7 where the max level is 30.

The Beta was limited to a section of the city and Dark zone. The problem this created was that you could run around a Lot and not encounter any bad guys. Over time I felt this was good in the sense that enemies don't rapidly respawn and bad in that I imagine too much of that can lead to boredom.

Missions were seemingly obtained in 2 ways (excluding the story mission that will be available in the full game). By updating your map by interacting with maps in Safe Zones and by speaking with JTF officers in those same areas. The JTF missions were all "side quest" in nature. These reward you with decent XP, some credits, normally a blueprint of some kind and a piece of gear. Missions obtained from the maps provide you with less XP, few credits and XP specific to the type of mission you finished.

The mission specific XP ties into your home base. Once you have claimed it, you are able to commission 3 specific wings. The only one you have access to in the Beta was the Medical wing. Some work needs to be done before you can start working on upgrading the wing, but once that is in place, doing missions of a specific colour on your map reward you with XP relative to the wing in your base. The options to upgrade were limited to a choice of 2, but the effect is that those upgrades unlock upgrades for your skills (IE you can change your Pulse skill from just showing enemies locations, to do that as well as block you and your team from enemies Pulse scans) as well as other upgrades for your character. Aside from the upgrades to Pulse, everything else was not available in the Beta, but I imagine that will allow a decent amount of customisation.

Then there's the Dark Zone(DZ). That cesspool of a place. I can see a lot of time generally being spent here by those who either don't like PvE, or get bored of it quickly. I both love and hate it. There are LFG tools for both PvE and the DZ, but honestly, that is one place you want to team with someone you can trust. I ran solo about 80% of the time, which is doable in the areas that are a little lower than your PvE level. On that note, XP and levels are earned separately in PvE and the DZ. The DZ levels are more tied into the level of chest you are able to open within the zone. Getting back to playing in there, as soon as I got in, it just Felt more edgy. Another player and I entered a couple seconds apart and you get this awkward standoff where you both look at one another hoping the other player isn't going to just open up on you.

Enemies are generally more difficult, mini-bosses are encountered more frequently and the loot drops are generally better. This leads to extractions. I like the concept, but I hate how it can play out. You find Extraction Zones as you run around the DZ... these are set locations. Once you pick up any gear (you get a nifty yellow bio-hazard container on your backpack, conveniently showing anyone who sees you that you have picked "something" up) you can start an extraction. Anyone within a decent radius is notified that an extraction has started, and a 1m45s counter starts. That is how long you need to just wait before you can consider getting you're loot out. After the timer expires, a helicopter flies over and lowers a cable, which is the point where you're actually able to get your loot out the DZ. You then run up to the cable and hold F while a progress bar goes up (feels like forever but probably 5s). And herein is where the scumbaggery can start. As all close-by are notified, while you attempt to attach your back to the rope, you can be killed. Your progress bar regresses when you take damage, so it's not even a case of surviving long enough to attach your loot, you cannot be taking damage. Once you die, you can be looted for ALL the gear you found leading up to an extraction as well as other items that were seemingly hard to come by in my brief ventures there.

That complaint aside, I'd probably spend a lot more time there if the Beta wasn't over. Lots of videos floating around of wall hackers already, but fortunately I wouldn't say I was affected by any.

Overall I really enjoyed it, bar the lack of baddies that was felt at times in PvE. I'm a lot closer to buying than this game than not.

PhreeMe

Expert Member
I see open Beta from the 19th.
So gonna try that!!!!!!
Yea, fortunately I didn't delete my Beta installation files when the last one ended.
I think they said you can start downloading from the 16th?

If anyone wants to group up for missions/Dark Zone, let me know :)