The F-35 thread

Arthur

Honorary Master
@Currantly Thanks for the vid. Hadn't seen this one. Nor had I come across RealEngineering on CuriosityStream (took out a subscription a few months ago, and just this past week to Magellan-tv).

Not an unfair or uninformed assessment of the F-35, in my view. But really just a cursory overview of this most remarkable fighting tool that I suspect terrifies the Russians and the Chinese far more than they'll ever let on.

Last edited:

Pegasus

Executive Member
If anyone likes the Russian planes

This is a Russian documentary, 2:38 hours long.

It covers the SU 27 from the drawing board to the modern versions including the SU 34 and 35.

Its pretty interesting to watch something from the Russian's perspective.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
F-35’s Gun That Can’t Shoot Straight Adds to Its Roster of Flaws
Add a gun that can’t shoot straight to the problems that dog Lockheed Martin Corp.’s $428 billion F-35 program, including more than 800 software flaws.

The 25mm gun on Air Force models of the Joint Strike Fighter has “unacceptable” accuracy in hitting ground targets and is mounted in housing that’s cracking, the Pentagon’s test office said in its latest assessment of the costliest U.S. weapons system.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
Not that I know much about this stuff, but wasn't this plane supposed to be an "invisible killer" that just destroyed other aircraft before even being seen?
Maybe that was a typo and they meant it destroys itself before even being seen. :)

Blu82

Expert Member
Considering someone else did the same in a F-22 the week before it's likely the F-35 pilot isn't at the top of the sh*tlist ;).
Well since the production for the F-22 was halted in 2012 and the F-35 is still ongoing...

PAYBACK

Expert Member
Was lucky enough to see X-35B demonstrator. Impressive up close and personal. If you are a aviation nut and stranded at Washington Dulles airport. Go to the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy-Hazy center and kill a few hours. It’s free. Thank me later. Don’t think there’s another place on the planet where you can see a X-35 a space shuttle and a SR-71 in one place. To name but a few.

An absolutely incredible collection of aviation history in this one spot. Knocked a few off my bucket list.

Last edited:

Arthur

Honorary Master
Paul Shillito over at Curious Droid on YouTube has just released an episodette on the F-35. Not bad, but compared to his other stuff it's a bit light on info. Nevertheless, probably worth a squizz when next in YouTube.