The future of the SMS

jes

MyBroadband Alumnus
The future of the SMS

2011 Is the year South African consumers become amongst the best protected in the world thanks to two important new laws.

DarkStreet

Expert Member
I constantly get promotional SMSes from Billabong with no clear way to opt out. Would these laws force them to remove me from their damn list which I didn't opt-into in the first place?

davemc

Executive Member
I can get Woollies into trouble by using my non RICA'd sim to send out spam to sequential numbers.
Kekekekeke

Loves this country.

EDIT: Then again, I could be paid to do this, by Woolies themselves. Even more EPIC.

Last edited:

nadimm

Expert Member
Nice article.

Surely sms usage will start to decline, as access to messaging over ip? becomes more widespread - which should track smartphone usage.

TheGuy

Expert Member
I never use to get sms spam at Cell C but since porting to Vodacom I even got smses on Christmas day. What is that website where you sign up to opt out of this stuff?

Shayd

Expert Member
SMS is pretty much dead for me... whatsapp has made it redundant. Data is where the future is at.

cbrunsdonza

Honorary Master
I work in the industry and SMS is anything but dying down. Even for my wifes small business her clients are relying on her appointment reminders via SMS - not a singe one has requested we use email or IM.

SMS has its uses and especially in the 3rd world where smart phones with enabled data bundles are in the minority.

Lounger

Expert Member
SMS is pretty much dead for me... whatsapp has made it redundant. Data is where the future is at.
Agreed. The article seems not to mention IM. There is NO future for the SMS at all. All phones will use data and the Internet for everything.

davemc

Executive Member
SMS is MUUUUCH better than IM for company -> client text communication.
There is most definitely a strong and healthy future for SMS based services.

IM requires an application running and ready to receive the communique.
SMS requires a working cellular phone, and the phone does not even have to be on.

Antonf

Expert Member
While not perfect, the Wireless Application Service Providers’ Association (WASPA) code of conduct has put South Africa at the forefront of the regulation of mobile messaging for some time
"Not perfect"? Surely you meant as useless as t!ts on a goose???

entrepr

Expert Member
I never use to get sms spam at Cell C but since porting to Vodacom I even got smses on Christmas day. What is that website where you sign up to opt out of this stuff?

I also get a deluge, a lot of from Vodacom itself :-(. I tried signing on an opt-out website a while back, but it made not difference to the floods of spam sms, email and phone calls.

Lounger

Expert Member
SMS is MUUUUCH better than IM for company -> client text communication.
There is most definitely a strong and healthy future for SMS based services.

IM requires an application running and ready to receive the communique.
SMS requires a working cellular phone, and the phone does not even have to be on.
Smartphones have apps running all the time. It's just a question of using one IM messaging standard. Whatsapp for example is integrated into the phone system as much as SMS is.

As for always being on - the messages get sent to the server and you retrieve them like an SMS. The one difference is no delay as with an SMS sent on New Years.

Gatecrasher

Executive Member
SMS provides the fattest margins for operators. I don't mind receiving them, provided they are useful. But I refuse to send them until their crazy pricing becomes aligned with their negligible cost.

Stalker

I just use an app (Mcleaner for iPhone) to block and park them works well

davemc

Executive Member
Smartphones have apps running all the time. It's just a question of using one IM messaging standard. Whatsapp for example is integrated into the phone system as much as SMS is.

As for always being on - the messages get sent to the server and you retrieve them like an SMS. The one difference is no delay as with an SMS sent on New Years.
Thanks for that.

nadimm

Expert Member
Wish service providers would allow you to block these spam sms's

If you're using android handcent app you can just block the number, meaning the sms comes through silently and doesn't show up in your list. I'm sure there are other apps/platforms that can do this. A simple solution

Sent from my HTC Desire using MyBroadband Android App