The good stuff: Ubuntu Karmic

Nuro

Expert Member
Looking forward to this release. I just hope they fix the exchange connector for evolution. In it's current state, it is practically useless.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Me waits for the new Mint based on Ubuntu 9.10 :D

tian

Hopefully there won't be any issues this time around with iBurst Modems on an Ubuntu system.

bawrak

I am one of the unlucky ones who have been suffering with sound problems on 9.04...

Hopefully Karmic Koala will do the job this time... :)

Bismuth

Expert Member
Looking forward to this, as well as Ultimate Edition 2.4 or what TheeMahn calls it! :D

B

wjc

I didn't know about the mouse tweaks. I am happily surprised thank you MyBroadband. The two finger scrolling works quite nice. ;)

Happy Camper

Expert Member
I am one of the unlucky ones who have been suffering with sound problems on 9.04...
Problems with Pulse? I've just gone through a major mission trying to get my sound sorted, It all works perfectly through PulseAudio now, vlc, rhythmbox, and system sounds etc all work through Pulse now. Except I can't get Jack sound server to connect through Pulse even though I have the pulse audio mudules scripts enabled, it always drops back to Alsa!! Sound architecture in Linux is a tad unsure of itself generally!

If you describe what type of sound probs you are having I can try assist you in getting it right :cool:

K3NS31

Expert Member
Hopefully there won't be any issues this time around with iBurst Modems on an Ubuntu system.
My colleague's gotten the iburst mode, (the pcmcia / USB one) to work perfectly on 9.04. It's a bit of a mission tho, would be easier if iburst continued to give the pppoe modem or if they actually gave a router.
Or if they released Linux drivers.

Anyway, point is, it does work.

wjc

Does anybody know what colour the default interface will be? I heard rumours that Mister Shuttleworth wanted to change it from brown to something more modern, like green or blue?
I am hopeful that the colour will change, but with the new splash being brown that hope is slowly fading away.

By the way, the splash is really nice looking and smooth, but once again... it is brown.

Bismuth

Expert Member
I am hopeful that the colour will change, but with the new splash being brown that hope is slowly fading away.

By the way, the splash is really nice looking and smooth, but once again... it is brown.
I like Ultimate Edition's Themes, you could add them to a regular Ubuntu I think, for a bit of variety.

B

porchrat

Honorary Master
im looking forward to this one- im still using 8.something
8.04 I hope. 8.10 was horrible. I am still on 8.04 and while 9.04 was awesome and I tried it for a while I generally only bother to move onto the LTS versions. They tend to be a little more stable.

Slingshot

Expert Member
I'm using 9.10 UNR Alpha. So far the colour scheme is still brown, but I kinda got used to it and like it now. About a week ago the splash screen was changed from a brown theme to a grey one with a kind of soft spotlight thingy which is nice. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOJUY35N-pU[/ame]

I'm using Karmic on my netbook and desktop without any incompatibilities or major problems so far. I get the odd program crashes, but bugfixes are usually released very quickly. At this stage I do updates every second day, with a lot of bugfixes every time.

d-_-b

Where can I download the alpha ISO locally? I know the uct mirror have a copy but it gives me download speeds under 100 Kbps.

And please don't blindly post links to Tenet, Saix or the IS ftp because last time I checked it was not on there.

Kind Regards,

dudleygb

Expert Member

Hopefully Karmic Koala will do the job this time... :)
what sound issues?

i also had sound issues, until i tried some additional options in my sound settings