The Hip Hop Thread

pos(t)er

Expert Member
I don't know, the sampling thing really gets to me. It's so damn integrityless. And yes, the song you mentioned is a prime example. The first time it started i though it was the Kurt Darren version(the original was by some holland pop star.)

But i like some Snoop and Pharell, also with his band thingy N*E*R*D. Everybody Nose is pimping.

Maybe i should check out some underground stuff, i've seen and heard about some pretty colourful characters in the hip-hop underground scene.

brixton tower

Expert Member
Ok, I'm a hiphop fiend/

Pooky you can't be serious! That is not hip hop.
Get some Necro :D
If you're getting into hiphop the last thing you need to listen to is Necro who is an acquired taste.

I'd start someone off with some DJ Premier for the beats and perhaps some New York rap from the mid 90s- think Mobb Deep, Biggie, Fugees, Onyx, Fu-Schnickens, Heltah Skeltah, Lords of the Underground, The Roots and A Tribe Called Quest.

After building up your foundation, you can get into some gangsta ish like Ice T( recommended album "Home Invasion"), if you can stomach the misogyny you can listen to NWA, Ice Cube, Dr Dre and Snoop Dogg.

Personally I prefer anything abstract, make no mistake I love dancing to a catchy beat but when I'm chilling at home after work nothing beats MF DOOM, Keith Murray or Blackalicious.:D

Pooky

Garfield's Teddy
Hmmm guys I know "proper" hip hop as you call it. I don't like it.

I love the commercial stuff for some reason.

R13...

Honorary Master
talking about acquired taste, TI is an acquired, i have tried to understand the hype & why he sells so many records, but his music just doesn't do it 4 me. i hear the track with rihanna is ai'ght though, will give it a listen when its's sfw.

BCO

Honorary Master
Any Immortal Technique fans out there?

*edit* Pooky, the artists you listed are shyte.

Akon.... :sick:

pos(t)er

Expert Member
I'll snag myself some underground cred. by mentioning Wu Tang Clan, even tho they're probably known by most people. MF Doom seems like an interesting character, with that helmet thing he wears.

And i have a Necro track. Very low-fi and quite boring. Lyrics are a little sick, i'll admit.

mezu

Expert Member
NAS, DJ Premier, Rakim, KRS-one ...now thats classic..have heard the latest T.I. My little bro is going nuts over it. But he is only a teen..I understand :)

pos(t)er

Expert Member
Would i be a troll if i said Lil' Wayne is my homey?:D Well he got me into hip-hop, so i guess it's not all bad. Didn't NAS say hip-hop is dead, just recently?

mezu

Expert Member
I remember seeing Wayne way-back in 98 doing at track(Topless of course) at some award show with Juvenile..I thought, dude sounds weired (in a fresh way) :)

JK8

Banned

You dont like Akon? You crazy!
Lol if I ever see Akon collab download straight away!:p
I think he's the BEST African artist, he's the only one that made it big.

Biggie

You dont like Akon? You crazy!
Lol if I ever see Akon collab download straight away!:p
I think he's the BEST African artist, he's the only one that made it big.
Konvict music...cool,and the ladies love that **** too.:)

Southern crunk "music" is the biggest disgrace to hip hop.

brixton tower

Expert Member

I can appreciate him and perhaps listen to a couple of songs but there's no way I can listen for more than 30 minutes. Too much politics.

On the other hand, I can listen to MF DOOM the whole day coz his subject matter is quite broad, from chicks to politics to money....and plus his abstract so if you don't know **** its unlikely you'll know what he's rapping about.

Another artist that everyone should try and listen to is Big L...check out his posthumous masterpiece- The Big Picture.