The Hip Hop Thread

brixton tower

Expert Member
Come on guys you can't tell me you don't like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQJACVmankY

Maybe it's because I'm a teenager or whatever, but when something like that starts playing in a club, everyone goes wild. It's just such good party music.
Make no mistake, TI makes music for the club but I have my doubts whether it would still sound as nice in five years.Very few people would fork out cash for his albums...when it comes to MF DOOM or anything from Stonesthrow Records you know 9/10 you're buying quality.

Mr Hankey

They say hip hop is dead, but only to those who arent really listening, there is so much good music out there its just a little harder to find. Underground is the way to go now days 'cos the commercial stuff is so predictable and gives hip hop a bad name...

T.I, Lil What, Akon... seriously when will the whining stop.
Im not bashing your guys taste, but try step away from whats easily available and look around, if like me your on the net all the time there is soo much available. I havent purchased a CD in over 15 years (thats a whole notha convo right there)and have more friends hooking music(for free) from me than that would make musica pale.

brixton tower gives some sound advice, but dig a little deeper and experiment with names/MC's you've never heard of.
@ Blue Collar, im down with IT but his latest album is weak IMO.

I'll drop some names up in here i hope none of you lot have heard of, hope you will check some out...
Jedi Mind Tricks- the entire crew; Vinnie Paz, Sloan, Outerspace, Doap Nixon, they make awesome beats( by Stoup), especially Vinnie Paz' work.

Ill Bill, La Coka Nostra, one of my all time favorites, actually Necro's big brother-doesnt sound too similar, the sound is menacing like Necro but more on a beat trip with solid lyrics and production.

Killah Priest, Chief Komachi, The Last Emperor, Percee P some more awesome underground cats.

Sage Francis, Buck65, Rob Sonic holding it down for the white boys. Sage Francis gets a little political and heavy but his sound is truly unmatched for his genre.

If you are just into beats, instrumentals and easy listening, try DJ Shadow, RJD2, Madlib, Organized Mess.

You guys should kick in with some cunninlynguists, Nappy Roots, Devin the Dude, Zion I(all from the South)...super mellow stuff and quite refreshing.

and not to forget Ewok, an MC from Durban. totally awesome for a whiteboy south african.

Obviously all of this is my personal preferance, but i hope someone will find some real hip hop in this for themselvs. why should i always be the one distributing the good stuff amongst friends.

I aint advertising or nothing, but if you want to sample some of what ive mentioned hit me up with a PM.

Pooky

Garfield's Teddy
I find a lot of that stuff you listed quite boring. I mean the lyrics are sometimes really good, but more often than not, the song is not notable as there is nothing catchy about it.

EDIT: Although I do really like Sage Francis.

Last edited:

brixton tower

Expert Member
They say hip hop is dead, but only to those who arent really listening, there is so much good music out there its just a little harder to find. Underground is the way to go now days 'cos the commercial stuff is so predictable and gives hip hop a bad name...

T.I, Lil What, Akon... seriously when will the whining stop.
Im not bashing your guys taste, but try step away from whats easily available and look around, if like me your on the net all the time there is soo much available. I havent purchased a CD in over 15 years (thats a whole notha convo right there)and have more friends hooking music(for free) from me than that would make musica pale.

brixton tower gives some sound advice, but dig a little deeper and experiment with names/MC's you've never heard of.
@ Blue Collar, im down with IT but his latest album is weak IMO.

I'll drop some names up in here i hope none of you lot have heard of, hope you will check some out...
Jedi Mind Tricks- the entire crew; Vinnie Paz, Sloan, Outerspace, Doap Nixon, they make awesome beats( by Stoup), especially Vinnie Paz' work.

Ill Bill, La Coka Nostra, one of my all time favorites, actually Necro's big brother-doesnt sound too similar, the sound is menacing like Necro but more on a beat trip with solid lyrics and production.

Killah Priest, Chief Komachi, The Last Emperor, Percee P some more awesome underground cats.

Sage Francis, Buck65, Rob Sonic holding it down for the white boys. Sage Francis gets a little political and heavy but his sound is truly unmatched for his genre.

If you are just into beats, instrumentals and easy listening, try DJ Shadow, RJD2, Madlib, Organized Mess.

You guys should kick in with some cunninlynguists, Nappy Roots, Devin the Dude, Zion I(all from the South)...super mellow stuff and quite refreshing.

and not to forget Ewok, an MC from Durban. totally awesome for a whiteboy south african.

Obviously all of this is my personal preferance, but i hope someone will find some real hip hop in this for themselvs. why should i always be the one distributing the good stuff amongst friends.

I aint advertising or nothing, but if you want to sample some of what ive mentioned hit me up with a PM.
I know all those guys, didn't want to alienate too many people on here by name-dropping but since we seem to be a knowledgeable bunch here's some more artists you guys should check out.

Little Brother
Blackalicious
Juggaknots
Arsonists
Tha Liks aka Tha Alkaholiks
Kool Keith( fav album: Dr Octagon)
Handsome Boy Modeling School(peep both their albums)
Del Tha Funky Homosapien(peep Deltron 3030- one of the best concept albums)

Chances are that you won't get these artists at your music chain, so your best bet would be to download.

nivek

Executive Member
You dont like Akon? You crazy!
Lol if I ever see Akon collab download straight away!:p
I think he's the BEST African artist, he's the only one that made it big.
akon produced the cheesiest song of the decade with lonely, not even hanson can touch him

tsume

The Pervy Sage
Thread Revival!!!!
Slaughterhouse. Making hip-hop fun to listen to again

[video=youtube;ZdnjbzB8Nh4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdnjbzB8Nh4[/video]

Can a mod move this to the music section?

Pho3nix

The Legend
I like the new Nas album. Felt it was a bit of a breath of fresh air into the hiphop genre with Lil' Wayne and all the others being around :sick:.

Nice flow, ok lines, a couple tracks I personally liked: Trust and You wouldnt understand. All in all. A solid 6.5\10. Maybe a 7. Compared to some of the other offerings available.

GreyBush

Executive Member
I like the new Nas album. Felt it was a bit of a breath of fresh air into the hiphop genre with Lil' Wayne and all the others being around :sick:.

Nice flow, ok lines, a couple tracks I personally liked: Trust and You wouldnt understand. All in all. A solid 6.5\10. Maybe a 7. Compared to some of the other offerings available.
Last NAS album I bought he had such weak lyrics, was the NAS and Damian Marley colab... hoping this will be better.

tsume

The Pervy Sage
Strange to Mystikal without braids, more stranger that he is with Cash Money

[video=youtube;cFy1cGEYM4o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFy1cGEYM4o[/video]