The Home Improvements Thread (2)

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Random question - parapet walls - can I run a conduit against them (screw mounted), or is it ill-advised?

And on the same project - any issues taking wiring from a plug point to feed two spot lights?

howardb

Expert Member
Random question - parapet walls - can I run a conduit against them (screw mounted), or is it ill-advised?

And on the same project - any issues taking wiring from a plug point to feed two spot lights?
If on the top, no. If on the side it should be fine. I did this on ours and no issues in 15+ years.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
If on the top, no. If on the side it should be fine. I did this on ours and no issues in 15+ years.
I'm going to have to go over the top - but plan on running the actual conduit on the side...

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Obviously don't know my roof as well as I thought, no conduits.... this actually makes it more challenging, as the cabling would need to pass over the gutters and onto the roof sheets. (starting point is on the bottom right)

alqassam

Expert Member
Can you not run it behind your gutters. What kind of soffit do you have?

Is it for lighting?

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Will have to check, can't recall how the gutters are spaced - its for two spotlights, the garden is too dark for my liking.

InternetLuddite

Expert Member
So re my renovations and pool with cement and other stuff falling in.

Started to vacuum to waste. But stopped when I couldn't see any further in the pool due to cloudiness. Amount of **** caught in Weir basket meant I couldn't lift it out. Ended up breaking basket and vacuum lid. Today put new parts in, to resume vacuuming.
Speck pump is dead. Looks like the debris got in through the two baskets and read the pump it's last rites.

Can speck pumps be serviced. So gatvol thinking if I need to get a new pump installed, will just get professionals to come solve everything including getting all the debris out of the pool

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
So re my renovations and pool with cement and other stuff falling in.

Started to vacuum to waste. But stopped when I couldn't see any further in the pool due to cloudiness. Amount of **** caught in Weir basket meant I couldn't lift it out. Ended up breaking basket and vacuum lid. Today put new parts in, to resume vacuuming.
Speck pump is dead. Looks like the debris got in through the two baskets and read the pump it's last rites.

Can speck pumps be serviced. So gatvol thinking if I need to get a new pump installed, will just get professionals to come solve everything including getting all the debris out of the pool
yes all the parts are available separately.

when you say pump is dead, what does it do?

alqassam

Expert Member
Will have to check, can't recall how the gutters are spaced - its for two spotlights, the garden is too dark for my liking.
Leave the wiring go to China mall and buy led solar floodlights.

They have day night sensors and work throughout the night.

I just out up 6 around the property

xrapidx

Honorary Master

I had some before that I bought from Builders, they ended up with moisture inside, and lasted about 3 months... will have a look what they have at China town though.

Are yours always on, or only with movement?

Lupus

Honorary Master

Which China mall?

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
Main reef road China mall

I only have them for a week. It's always on.

R320 for a 20w light incl the panel
20W and it stays on for 8+ hours? either they wont last long or that thing has a beast battery in a small housing, like at least 2 x 9AH alarm batteries

InternetLuddite

Expert Member
yes all the parts are available separately.

when you say pump is dead, what does it do?
Pump powers up but just hear a humming sound. I can see sand and small stones in the filter cage - something that was never there before. Now just wondering - as I did want to do pool pump enclosure and was planning to replace pool filter sand, do I try repair or just do full replace of everything - then will be happy that everything is hopefully sorted for the next few years.

Amazing, when the repair bill for repair/renovation hits 240k , 12k extra doesn't feel crazy. Assuming that's what it would cost to get new 1.1kw motor and filter sand thingee..