The Home Improvements Thread (2)

Chris_SA

Expert Member
Any recommendations for someone doing glass balustrades? I have ones already with wires and need to replace wire with glass. Quotes so far are ridiculous to say the least.

scienide

Expert Member
So, CPT dudes.

Land management. To lodge forms etc.
How long take to process?

Friend in CPT is running a day care. Wants to use house as a bigger daycare.
Their zone is residential and cant make it full business but if have someone living there, can use part of house. So they have given all info in on the land use application.

Is there 60/40 rule? Are they limited to amount of kids?

Thanks in advance

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Any recommendations for someone doing glass balustrades? I have ones already with wires and need to replace wire with glass. Quotes so far are ridiculous to say the least.
Looking to make some for my deck as well.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Has anybody sanded and sealed a hardwood floor, any advise would be much appreciated
Need info of this as well, actually need new Oregon Pine planks for my floor, and I need the floor lifted as well.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Anyone know of sites to try and price a bar? I want to replace the one in our house with something smaller.
(from previous thread)

chickenbeef

Executive Member
I am looking for recommendations for someone that does aluminium window installations in Cape Town along with the necessary plastering work afterwards (I see some only do the installation and then I have to get someone else to do the plastering, prefer to just deal with 1 person/company and get it done).

Have really old steel windows I need to replace. Is "low-e" windows still relevant these days?

WAslayer

Expert Member
I am looking for recommendations for someone that does aluminium window installations in Cape Town along with the necessary plastering work afterwards (I see some only do the installation and then I have to get someone else to do the plastering, prefer to just deal with 1 person/company and get it done).

Have really old steel windows I need to replace. Is "low-e" windows still relevant these days?
Anglo Windows..

WAslayer

Expert Member

chickenbeef

Executive Member
We have just accepted Anglo quote and waiting for work to start.. redoing windows after previous company made a complete balls up of the work..
Hmmm, please post an update/review here when they're done.

Who was the previous company if you don't mind me asking? Would like to avoid them.

TheSlinger

Thanks...

I see NSS was recommended in the old thread too but they have no Google reviews.

https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/the-home-improvements-thread.646342/page-446#post-22443344

@TheSlinger , who did you end up going with and how was the workmanship?

We went with Angelo. Both the Missus and I are very happy with their work. My only "complaint" is that on the windows they used white handles, while the already existing windows had (old) black ones. Nothing a quick trip to builders and 10 minutes of my time couldn't fix. Now they are all white.

We will be using them again when we get around to replacing a few old steel frames.

TheSlinger

Hmmm, please post an update/review here when they're done.

Who was the previous company if you don't mind me asking? Would like to avoid them.

I read the conversation above in detail now.

We didn't need any plastering done, so I can't vouch for that. This was the enclosing of an existing patio. It was half enclosed already.

I suppose plastering will be needed when we re-do the steels. If they are as good there as there were with our smaller installation, I foresee no issues.

chickenbeef

Executive Member
Update: Anglo Windows does the plastering but not skimming. Still waiting for them to quote me.

SAguy

Expert Member

Are you sure you want to go aluminium? Aluminium windows have become a target in our suburb, they just remove entire panes of glass by taking the beading out.

Multiple houses hit in our area, our neighbours were hit last month in the middle of the night - they removed the large middle pane in their front lounge window. This in a well lit area and no high walls to hide behind. They just jumped in after removing it, grabbed the tv off the wall and ran.

Aluminium is ok if you have bars on the entire window, not just the opening bits.