The Home Improvements Thread (2)

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Anyone have any experience in DIY downlights? Am looking to redo the lighting in my spot after the roof insulation was replaced and have been looking to install downlights for a while. Will also look to DIY cable rails inside the ceiling for all the various cables going through while I am at it. Anything that I need to keep in mid re installing etc?
Get a hole saw that exactly matches the size of the hole required for the downlighter.

Be prepared to repaint your ceiling, because the first thing you should do is layout a grid to place the lights so the ceiling will be covered in chalk lines or pencil lines.

Always go GU10 220v downlighters, its cheaper and just easier in the long run.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Fireplace will get expensive to heat a big open plan space...

I costed up a decent closed combustion one and it was somewhere in the region of R20k just for the unit....

Honestly, I'm considering large aircons for the open place space instead.
Yeh - I'm expecting to spend about R60-R80k on the "little" project. (incl. a new bar - less the potential sale of the old bar, its quite big rustic sleeper wood - so will hopefully be able to sell it instead of toss)

I realize it might be expensive to run - but not much beats a fire for warming in winter :) I'm currently using the indoor braai in the same room - but it eats through wood when used for heating.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Yeh - I'm expecting to spend about R60-R80k on the "little" project. (incl. a new bar - less the potential sale of the old bar, its quite big rustic sleeper wood - so will hopefully be able to sell it instead of toss)

I realize it might be expensive to run - but not much beats a fire for warming in winter :) I'm currently using the indoor braai in the same room - but it eats through wood when used for heating.
Agreed... nothing beats a fire in winter :)..

This is why I have a fireplace in the house, but it doesn't heat the whole space, just the space around the couches... so for me, aircons to keep the room bearable, fireplace for the lekker warmth in a specific place.

Ruxin

Agreed... nothing beats a fire in winter :)..

This is why I have a fireplace in the house, but it doesn't heat the whole space, just the space around the couches... so for me, aircons to keep the room bearable, fireplace for the lekker warmth in a specific place.
I think this is the best solution. A fireplace and aircons.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I think this is the best solution. A fireplace and aircons.
The way I'm figuring it, its also a solution for summer in Durban where days can get so unbearable you need a place to escape to... so with aircons you can also keep the room bearable in summer...

Ruxin

The way I'm figuring it, its also a solution for summer in Durban where days can get so unbearable you need a place to escape to... so with aircons you can also keep the room bearable in summer...
Yip, get's unbearable here in the Cape aswell.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Fireplace will get expensive to heat a big open plan space...

I costed up a decent closed combustion one and it was somewhere in the region of R20k just for the unit....

Honestly, I'm considering large aircons for the open place space instead.
I bought a gas heater last night to heat an area of 4m x 4.5m. I plan on replacing that with a combustion fireplace eventually.
Is there a calculator or some tool to measure the size of the fireplace that is needed for that size area? It's for a bedroom.
It does have a wooden floor though.

alqassam

Expert Member
A fireplace is also on my list, the list never ends :X3:

There is also so much unplanned things that come up during and after the reno.
On my list as well.

Someone stole all the copper fittings from the aircons at my place 4 aircons ruined. Need to put in a claim for that.

Need to do a CC fireplace as well

Eurofireplaces.co.za seems reasonable

12k for a 10kw unit. But it's mild steel

Hellhound105

Expert Member
Gonna be improving my home with this:

Would be awesome to have a wifi switch in every room. Perhaps even a switch for swimming pool and ponds....just need strong switches for them.

Went with the black version just to look better.

EDIT : And before we get responses from all the "geniuses", this wont work out the box as a third wire will be needed to have these units connected correctly. So will make a plan once received.
Will do an update once received from China and installed.

alqassam

Expert Member

Would be awesome to have a wifi switch in every room. Perhaps even a switch for swimming pool and ponds....just need strong switches for them.

EDIT : And before we get responses from all the "geniuses", this wont work out the box as a third wire will be needed to have these units connected correctly.
@phaktza is having a special on the basics.

Just make sure you have neutrals

phaktza

Executive Member

EDIT : And before we get responses from all the "geniuses", this wont work out the box as a third wire will be needed to have these units connected correctly. So will make a plan once received.
Yes the Sonoff T1s have been discontinued.

We will be bringing in stock of the new Txs (black and white) next month - though only the US/AU version.

You will need the neutral cable - some houses have, some don't. I can't even install the Txs in my house as there is no room in the conduits for neutrals.

Pho3nix

The Legend
Yes the Sonoff T1s have been discontinued.

We will be bringing in stock of the new Txs (black and white) next month - though only the US/AU version.

You will need the neutral cable - some houses have, some don't. I can't even install the Txs in my house as there is no room in the conduits for neutrals.
Same dimensions as the T1s?

xrapidx

Honorary Master
I bought a gas heater last night to heat an area of 4m x 4.5m. I plan on replacing that with a combustion fireplace eventually.
Is there a calculator or some tool to measure the size of the fireplace that is needed for that size area? It's for a bedroom.
It does have a wooden floor though.
I saw a calculation somewhere - where its the m3 x 0.06 for bad insulation - and m3 x 0.035 for good insulation - that gives you the kw.