The Huawei B593 LTE discussion thread

d7e7r7

Executive Member
Afrihost does Telkom Fixed LTE packages as well, but yes, MTN does check for and block sims used in devices that aren't Cat6 compliant from their fixed LTE network.
Thanks for the update. How does the device broadbast its "cat" capability? Is there any way to 'spoof' it to work on MTN?

Totempole

Expert Member
Thanks for the update. How does the device broadbast its "cat" capability? Is there any way to 'spoof' it to work on MTN?
I'm not exactly sure how their detections systems work, but I'd guess that maybe regular LTE and LTE-Advanced each use different protocols to connect to the towers.

Very unlikely that there's any way to spoof the device to work due to the physical limitations of the hardware.

jcheek

Expert Member
Howzit guys, don't know a lot about LTE routers but if I can get a Huawei B593s-601 for R300 (second hand obviously), is that a good deal? Or are they very outdated and better to look at newer models?
The B593 is a dated, but solid performer for 4G/LTE on Telkom's 2300MHz TDD network, and MTN and Vodacom's 1800MHz FDD networks. It does not support LTE-A, but under real-world conditions, you can get close to 100Mbps DL (which is the maximum its 10/100 ethernet ports will support anyway). In reality the speed constraint is much more likely to arise from a bottleneck on the base station or network than on the device itself.
The B593-s601 is probably the most common sub-model you will come across. For guidance on specific sub-models and what networks and frequencies are supported by each, read the OP.

Totempole

Expert Member
The B593 is a dated, but solid performer for 4G/LTE on Telkom's 2300MHz TDD network, and MTN and Vodacom's 1800MHz FDD networks. It does not support LTE-A, but under real-world conditions, you can get close to 100Mbps DL (which is the maximum its 10/100 ethernet ports will support anyway). In reality the speed constraint is much more likely to arise from a bottleneck on the base station or network than on the device itself.
The B593-s601 is probably the most common sub-model you will come across. For guidance on specific sub-models and what networks and frequencies are supported by each, read the OP.
This is true, I get about 70Mbps on MTN using an LTE connection with this router, but regardless, it will still be blocked if it's used with an MTN Fixed LTE SIM.

Mboozi

How do I solve the 'call in progress' problem that makes it to configure the B593 router