• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

The Huawei E5186 LTE-A discussion thread

Thanks for the info guys.
I will download the toolbox and see if I can access the router.
Will get back if I have more questions.

sajunky

Honorary Master
Short helper how to switch frequencies in Toolbox. First read the thread: https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showth...x-for-new-Huawei-HiLink-devices-(E5186-B315s)
- Fill up the login/password and press "Connect" button, if successful lot of information will be updated.
- Do not play with frequency setting on the main tab. It might be not suitable for your router. Also return to "All bands" might be not working.
- Open "API control" tab
- Select /api/net/net-mode from the dropdown box and press "Get button". Top of the window will fill up with response, the bottom one gives a template for your command.
- Make note of the 'LTEBand' field. If router is in default settings it will be your return value for all bands. If you forget this step you can always query "/api/net-mode-list" or just reset the router.
Code:
<request>
  <NetworkMode>00</NetworkMode>
  <NetworkBand>3FFFFFFF</NetworkBand>
  <LTEBand>7FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF</LTEBand>
</request>
- Change 'LTEBand' field to
0000000000000040 for band 7 or
0000002000000000 for band 38
- Press "Write" button and follow prompt
- Click on "Debug" tab and verify that command has been accepted - 'OK'
- Exit Toolbox
- Open Web management page, login and do manual network search. It takes a minute.
- If you see 4G 65519 on the list, then you picked up Rain network operating on this band.
- If you have SIM from Rain, you can try to see whether you can connect. Otherwise do not bother.

Last edited:

jcheek

Expert Member
Thanks for the info guys.
I will download the toolbox and see if I can access the router.
Will get back if I have more questions.
Do we gather that you actually have an E5186, darkshadow ?
If so, which sub-model - E5186-s61a, or -s22 ?

Do we gather that you actually have an E5186, darkshadow ?
If so, which sub-model - E5186-s61a, or -s22 ?
@jcheek - Sorry for only coming back to you now, was a bit under the weather the last week. I do in fact use a E5186-s61a Telkom router on Telkom LTE atm, because my ADSL is $h!t. Was still trying to get my hands on a Rain LTE sim to test and then yesterday they started digging trenches in my complex for fibre :D

jcheek

Expert Member
@jcheek - Sorry for only coming back to you now, was a bit under the weather the last week. I do in fact use a E5186-s61a Telkom router on Telkom LTE atm, because my ADSL is $h!t. Was still trying to get my hands on a Rain LTE sim to test ...
Hehe no worries. Did you ever get to do your Rain test ?

... and then yesterday they started digging trenches in my complex for fibre :D
Congrats!
If it's Openserve who's trenching, then make this your next stop ;)

PsYTraNc3

Expert Member
Question... (sorry if it's a silly one)

Would my signal get better or worse if I placed my router in the roof?
it's hidden behind a TV at the moment and not getting good signal strength (to hide how ugly it looks and help with my cable free setup)

Currently using my LTE router as a modem only and plugged into the WAN port of a better Netgear router. (Works better, looks better and fits nicely in my TV unit)

Anyone know how to get a VPN configured on the B315? The box says "VPN Passthrough" on the feature icons, but on guidance in the manual / FAQ and the admin login has no obvious place to enter VPN credentials

sajunky

Honorary Master

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Can these routers give LTE throughput in a non-LTE A area on a Telkom contract now? On the 1st page this was listed as not possible.

teamed209

Switching over to fibre after my LTE inconsistency finally became too much for me and my contract is coming to an end (plus they just installed fibre).

One question, I am going to be using the standard d-link router AC1200 that Afrihost give you, is it feasible to use the E5186 as a wifi repeater? Switching my LTE to prepaid as a fall back in case fibre stops working and not sure if the D-link has a sim slot for that but otherwise it would be ideal if I could use the Huawei as my fall back option slash repeater to strengthen wifi signal.

Azimuth

Expert Member
Can these routers give LTE throughput in a non-LTE A area on a Telkom contract now? On the 1st page this was listed as not possible.
Indeed they can. I don’t get LTE-A and use this router.

Switching over to fibre after my LTE inconsistency finally became too much for me and my contract is coming to an end (plus they just installed fibre).

One question, I am going to be using the standard d-link router AC1200 that Afrihost give you, is it feasible to use the E5186 as a wifi repeater? Switching my LTE to prepaid as a fall back in case fibre stops working and not sure if the D-link has a sim slot for that but otherwise it would be ideal if I could use the Huawei as my fall back option slash repeater to strengthen wifi signal.
This is not possible, I’m afraid. There is no option to allow for this. You’d have to look at one of D-Link’s or Huawei’s repeater product options.

Last edited:

teamed209

Indeed they can. I don’t get LTE-A and use this router.

This is not possible, I’m afraid. There is no option to allow for this. You’d have to look at one of D-Link’s or Huawei’s repeater product options.
Thanks, not even sure if I need a repeater because my fibre isn't live as yet but tend to stream netflix etc from other rooms in the house so weak signal will be an issue and I understand the Dlink AC1200 5Ghz throughput is not great through walls etc.

On a side note, is there any signal interruption with having two routers is close proximity?

Huawei LTE A Router E5186

Hi I have a Huawei LTE A E5186 Router which i am not using as I just signed up with afrihost and got the Huawei LTE A B618 router

I was wondering if anyone know how to turn the E5186 Router into a wireless repeater so that it can work with the B618 Router.

Your thoughts would be appreciated

Nardeth

Hi I have a Huawei LTE A E5186 Router which i am not using as I just signed up with afrihost and got the Huawei LTE A B618 router

I was wondering if anyone know how to turn the E5186 Router into a wireless repeater so that it can work with the B618 Router.

Your thoughts would be appreciated
i wish you would give the HUAWEI E5186 to me for free