The iOS 11 Thread/Discussion

Dave

Honorary Master
WTF happened to mine? I use the feature all the time and now it's just gone. Reinstall didn't work either.
Try a reset, hold power and vol down until the Apple logo appears and see if it helps, it can't hurt.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Not even for editing mistakes and typos? It’s the best thing to happen to iPhones for years.
And it's potentially on it's way out again.

How do you use it for mistakes and typos? Don't have a 3D touch phone do haven't used one long enough to pick up those nuances.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
And it's potentially on it's way out again.

How do you use it for mistakes and typos? Don't have a 3D touch phone do haven't used one long enough to pick up those nuances.
You press the keyboard and it turns into a kind of trackpad so you can place the cursor anywhere in your text.

It fixed one of the most annoying things about iOS imo, trying to place the cursor in a block of text to make a correction.

Edit: like so....

https://youtu.be/6mmqucgDA4c

Last edited:

Dave

Honorary Master
Not even for editing mistakes and typos? It’s the best thing to happen to iPhones for years.
Most useful part of 3D Touch for me is the the shortcuts it gives from icons on the home screens. Eg 3D Touch on Notes and jump straight to a new note.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
You press the keyboard and it turns into a kind of trackpad so you can place the cursor anywhere in your text.

It fixed one of the most annoying things about iOS imo, trying to place the cursor in a block of text to make a correction.

Edit: like so....

https://youtu.be/6mmqucgDA4c
Aah yet another reason to hate on Android then because it was one of the few things I liked over iOS.

Except that the popup for copy/paste/whatever is always white and almost always on a white background so therefore invisible whereas iOS is black.

Must ask my wife if she knows about this with her 8.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Aah yet another reason to hate on Android then because it was one of the few things I liked over iOS.

Except that the popup for copy/paste/whatever is always white and almost always on a white background so therefore invisible whereas iOS is black.

Must ask my wife if she knows about this with her 8.
Completely agree about Android. It used to poo all over iOS when editing text, but this 3D Touch moved the goalposts big time. I used to be Swiftkey or nothing, but stock iOS keyboard is fantastic now.

But I'd be interested to know if your wife knows about it and uses it? I'm also using an 8 from a 6s previously.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Completely agree about Android. It used to poo all over iOS when editing text, but this 3D Touch moved the goalposts big time. I used to be Swiftkey or nothing, but stock iOS keyboard is fantastic now.

But I'd be interested to know if your wife knows about it and uses it? I'm also using an 8 from a 6s previously.
Yeah will ask her in the morning.

I've fiddled with her phone plenty and this is the kind of thing you only pick up with daily use.

Bizarrely Apple isn't very good at pushing the how to's and ins and outs of power use.

I miss having the latest Apple tech every other year.

Last edited:

crackersa

Honorary Master

You wouldn’t think so, but I use it regularly

3lOH55A

Expert Member

2 things I really miss since switching to Android. The keyboard and the 3d touch to move the cursor around.

My pixel 2 XL comes with a feature called gesture cursor control. You basically just tap anywhere near your edit point and use the space bar to slide left or right. Not sure if it's a Google keyboard or pixel feature. Sadly, doesn't come close to iOS's feature :/

Dave

Honorary Master
The amount of typos and gibberish i type?

And why are you responding to me since you think I’m weak?
Why wouldn't I respond? I thought you were weak in allowing others to dominate that argument and chase you away, just an opinion of that specific incident and doesn't colour my general opinion of you. It wasn't my fight, and as I said, I couldn't care less about what the argument was about.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
2 things I really miss since switching to Android. The keyboard and the 3d touch to move the cursor around.

My pixel 2 XL comes with a feature called gesture cursor control. You basically just tap anywhere near your edit point and use the space bar to slide left or right. Not sure if it's a Google keyboard or pixel feature. Sadly, doesn't come close to iOS's feature :/
It's a GBoard feature and I didn't even realise it's also available on the iOS version so I'll be using it again now.

Last edited:

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
Anyone know of a way to make the lock screen music controls stay put and not disappear after like 1 minute when it's paused? It's grating my carrot.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Anyone know of a way to make the lock screen music controls stay put and not disappear after like 1 minute when it's paused? It's grating my carrot.
It's not really possible but you can access the music controls from the control centre while in lock screen

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Apple releases iOS 11.4: here is everything new

Apple has released iOS 11.4 to the public. The update, available for iPhone and iPad, includes a number of new features that make it special. The software update is available now for download over the air (OTA).

How we got here

In late March, Apple introduced iOS 11.3, which included lots of new features including battery health and performance settings, new Animojis, Business Chat, Health Records, and an upgrade to ARKit. Soon after, developers began testing iOS 11.4. In total, Apple released six iOS 11.4 beta versions before today’s public launch.

What’s new in iOS 11.4?

With iOS 11.4, Apple finally adds two iOS 11 features that were first announced at last year’s WWDC, AirPlay 2 and Messages in iCloud. Other minor features are also in this update.

AirPlay 2

AirPlay 2 had made numerous appearances in beta versions of iOS 11.3 but didn’t make the cut. It’s finally here in iOS 11.4.

With AirPlay 2, you can use “multi-room audio” from iOS devices, making it easier to control speakers using Control Center, the Home app, or with Siri. Previously, this was only available through iTunes under macOS or Windows.

Thanks to AirPlay 2 and a companion firmware update, users with more than one HomePod can finally listen in stereo. This will bring multi-room and stereo pairing to the HomePod and Apple TV.

Messages in iCloud

Best called the big tease, Messages in iCloud has been added and removed from iOS 11 beta versions for what seems like forever. The feature moves Messages to iCloud and in doing so, allows you to sync conversations across all of your devices, including iOS, macOS, and watchOS.

In other words, when you delete a message on one device, it’s gone on the others too.

Schoolwork and ClassKit

For educational users on iOS 11.4 devices, Apple has introduced Schoolwork and ClassKit. Both features were first announced at Apple’s Chicago-based educational event on March 27.

ClassKit allows app developers to add features that can be used by educational institutions with Apple School Manager and Managed Apple IDs. Teachers assign activities in Schoolwork with students’ progress recorded in ClassKit-enabled apps.

Other iOS 11.4 features

The latest version of iOS 11.4 also adds a few minor features, including:

- (PRODUCT)RED iPhone wallpaper on iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus. If you own a different iPhone, you can install the wallpapers manually.
- HomePod support for Calendar

You can grab the iOS 11.4 software from iDownloadBlog’s Download page.

To deploy the latest software update over the air, go into the Settings app on your iOS device, then go General > Software Update, then follow the onscreen instructions to download and install the update.

For the full list of fixes and new features in iOS 11.4, check out the official release notes.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2018/05/29/apple-ios11-4/