The Kia Stinger Thread

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Well done Kia...! Looks really good.

3.3 Twin Turbo V6; 268kw; 510nm & RWD. 0-100km/h in 5.1secs.

Early pics leaked so not the best quality.

"Pictures and specifications for Kia's hotly anticipated BMW 3 Series rival have leaked online hours before its official reveal in the US

The Kia Stinger GT has been leaked, hours ahead of its official Detroit motor show unveiling, with a 3.3-litre twin-turbo V6.

With a power output of 360bhp and 376lb ft of torque, the Kia Stinger GT reaches 60mph in 5.1sec; just 0.4sec shy of the Audi S4. This is fed to the rear wheels, with an automatic ‘box taking care of gearshifts, according to the source of the leak.

There will likely be a version powered by a 2.0-litre turbocharged petrol engine, too. Europe will get a diesel model, powered by the brand’s 2.2-litre from the Hyundai Santa Fe.

The leak confirms the design we first saw in a previous leaked image, and patches together the various previews and information releases since the project was first confirmed; a coupe-like four-door saloon with an overriding sporting influence.

At the rear, the GT Stinger has rear lights connected by a light bar; a design trend also seen on the latest Sportage, as well as quad exhausts. It’s the first Kia to get these.

Like other recently-revealed Kias, the Stinger GT gets a minimalistic cabin, with a dominant central infotainment screen replacing the majority of the dash-mounted buttons of older cars.

Kia’s most performance-oriented model yet was previewed several times, and is yet to be officially revealed at the Detroit motor show."

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-detroit-motor-show/2017-kia-stinger-gt-leaked-ahead-detroit-debut

Last edited:

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
This is where I feel sorry for Kia. It's a great car, but who is going to buy this rather than a BMW 335i?

We definitely do need more Kia sedans in South Africa though - I see they don't even sell the Optima anymore.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
This is where I feel sorry for Kia. It's a great car, but who is going to buy this rather than a BMW 335i?

We definitely do need more Kia sedans in South Africa though - I see they don't even sell the Optima anymore.
I would, depending on how they price it. Kia has really done very well over the past decade to become a trusted brand, along with Hyundai. Have you seen the price of BMWs? I'd rather pay R550k for this (say) than R850k on a 335i...

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

That depends entirely on the price.

Beyond that the dealer support network.

Pox

Expert Member
I think that's about the best arse I've ever seen on a Korean car.

FiestaST

Honorary Master

Not to be pedantic but you mean 340i. In the power stakes/steaks this Kia is 340i/440i/S5/C43 territory.

Also one thing to note is this is a bespoke Car unlike the 340i & others which are just hot versions of compact executive sedans.

I think this will be an excellent halo Car for the brand.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
At an event typically dominated by introductions from American auto companies, Kia Motors America (KMA) stole the spotlight with the world debut of the all-new 2018 Kia Stinger at the 2018 North American International Auto Show. A five-passenger fastback sports sedan poised to redefine a segment currently populated by European automakers, the Kia Stinger promises to be the highest-performance production vehicle in the company's history and is backed by Kia Motors' industry-leading quality and reliability. Offered with multiple engine and drivetrain configurations and luxurious accommodations, the Kia Stinger is planned to go on sale in the U.S. in late 2017.

"Unlike any Kia that has come before it, the Stinger really is a dream car for us, and here today in Detroit, that dream is now a reality after years of commitment and hard work from a passionate group of designers, engineers and executives around the world," said Orth Hedrick, vice president, product planning, Kia Motors America. "From its GT concept-car origins to the years of tuning and refining on the legendary Nurburgring circuit, no detail was too small to be obsessed over, and the result is simply stunning."

Instantly recognizable as a direct evolution of the concept that preceded it, the all-new 2018 Kia Stinger design was overseen by Peter Schreyer, Kia Motors' chief design officer, and his talented team of designers in Frankfurt. Ride and handling development was looked after by Albert Biermann, head of Kia's Vehicle Test and High Performance Development and his group of engineers in Korea and on the grueling Nurburgring racing circuit.

But what makes a true gran turismo? This question was the foundation for a years-long journey that began when the GT concept was first unveiled at the 2011 Frankfurt Motor Show. Although every Kia design study has a purpose, the GT concept was something considered by many outside the company as little more than a dream for a brand known for producing mass-market transportation rooted in value. But the GT ignited embers of passion that sparked a fire within the organization and over the next five years that fire would grow beyond fantasy and morph into reality.

Once the Kia Stinger was green lighted, that gran turismo question became a mantra as development commenced. Coming from Kia, the design had to be bold. And it was. But it also had to be nimble and fast while also luxurious and quiet. It had to achieve the perfect balance of ride and handling and seat five comfortably with room for luggage. It had to be a lot of things, but most of all, it had to be an authentic gran turismo. And it is.

While both engines are still under development, the standard 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder Theta II engine produces an estimated 255 horsepower at approximately 6,200 rpm. Max torque of 260 lb.-ft. is available from 1,400 - 4,000 rpm. Performance credentials are further enhanced through the available 3.3-liter twin-turbo V6 Lambda II engine, which is anticipated to produce 365 horsepower at an estimated 6,000 rpm and offer max torque of 376 lb.-ft. from 1,300 - 4,500 rpm. Kia is targeting 5.1 seconds to 62 mph and a top speed of 167 mph with the twin turbocharged V6.

The Kia Stinger features a second-generation eight-speed rear-drive automatic transmission. First offered in the K900 luxury sedan, the gearbox has been designed in-house and rewards drivers with crisp shifts and maximized fuel efficiency. More typically found in aviation- and racing-engine applications, the transmission features Kia's first use of a Centrifugal Pendulum Absorber (CPA) torque converter to help reduce torsional vibrations through the drivetrain. Drivers can let the gearbox manage shifts on its own or may selectively run through the gears via paddle shifters mounted aft of the steering wheel. As with the suspension and steering, up to five different shift patterns may be selected through the vehicle's electronic drive-mode system. Throttle mapping is also adjusted accordingly.

https://www.netcarshow.com/kia/2018-stinger/

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Say hello to the 272 kW Kia Stinger GT sports sedan…

After a lengthy teaser campaign, Kia has finally whipped the covers off the 2018 Kia Stinger, which in range-topping GT guise makes a healthy 272 kW.

The new five-seater fastback sedan was revealed at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

The Korean automaker says the new Stinger – which draws inspiration from the GT concept of 2011 – promises to be “the highest-performance production vehicle in the company’s history”.

Kia points out that the Stinger’s 2 905 mm wheelbase is longer than that of the Audi A4, Infiniti Q50, Lexus IS, BMW 4 Gran Coupe and even the Lexus GS and Mercedes CLS, which it claims affords the new sports sedan both more interior room and increased luggage space.

Ride-damping and vehicle handling traits can be modified via an electronically adjustable suspension Kia is calling the “Dynamic Stability Damping Control”. The system is accessed through five drive modes: personal, eco, sport, comfort and smart.

So what’s under the bonnet? Well, there will be a choice of two longitudinally mounted turbocharged petrol engines, although Kia says both “are still under development”.

The 2,0-litre turbocharged four-cylinder Theta II engine in the entry-level Stinger will make around 190 kW and 352 N.m, while the 3,3-litre twin-turbo V6 Lambda II mill in the Stinger GT will churn out about 272 kW and 510 N.m. As revealed in earlier teasers, Kia is targeting a 0-100 km/h time of 5,1 seconds for the V6. Power will be sent to either the rear wheels or optionally all wheels via an eight-speed automatic transmission.

So, will this new sports sedan make it to our shores? Well, Kia Motors SA says “no information is available at the time of going to press on whether the Kia Stinger will be introduced in South Africa”. With bated breath we wait…

http://www.carmag.co.za/news_post/say-hello-to-the-272-kw-kia-stinger-gt-sports-sedan/

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Kia Motors heads into new territory with the Stinger sports sedan. Designed in Germany and based on Kia's 2011 GT concept, the Stinger has the elegant looks of a European fastback. Engines are still in development, but Kia says a turbocharged 2.0-litre four-cylinder will produce 190kW; an optional 3.3-litre V6 pushes that up to 272kW. Kia is targeting a 0-100km/h speed in 5.1 seconds. The Stinger goes on sale in late 2017. Pricing hasn't been announced.

http://www.wheels24.co.za/NewModels/Motor_Shows/Detroit_Motor_Show/detroit-show-2017-new-kia-sports-sedan-gms-new-suvs-20170109

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Kia says its Stinger will go on sale in the United States as a 2018 model year product. At this stage, the official word from Kia South Africa is "No information is available at the time of going to press on whether the KIA Stinger will be introduced in South Africa." Given the suffering endured by importers due to the exchange rate, it's going to be a challenge for Kia to build a business case for this flagship offering. Still, if marketing hype and prototype test drives are to be believed, the Kia Stinger is the real deal and definitely a new player in the performance segment.

http://www.cars.co.za/motoring_news/kia-stinger-underlines-koreas-performance-ambitions/42964/

XennoX

Expert Member
That rear end looks a lot like the just launched Alfa Romeo Giulia.

ADRAM3L3CH

This looks amazing !! I'd get it if its available here, currently have a Koup and I love it .