The METAL Thread

Bobbin

Executive Member
OK. When does rock become metal? And all the various things that rock gave birth to.

I would say heavier distortion and darker sounding chord progressions with a lot more drop tuning on average.

But it's more of a spectrum than a hard line though and personal opinions differ/overlap. For example many people might classify Ghost as heavy metal, but to me it's borderline. I'd say they average more around hard/dark rock than heavy metal.

Black Sabbath/Judas Priest are regarded as the more prime examples of metal origins, but there's some earlier arguments to be had too.

To me just the darker sound of Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath is unmistakably metal :)

Modern metal is a very different beast though.

The Voice

Honorary Master
I would say heavier distortion and darker sounding chord progressions with a lot more drop tuning on average.

But it's more of a spectrum than a hard line though and personal opinions differ/overlap. For example many people might classify Ghost as heavy metal, but to me it's borderline. I'd say they average more around hard/dark rock than heavy metal.

Black Sabbath/Judas Priest are regarded as the more prime examples of metal origins, but there's some earlier arguments to be had too.

To me just the darker sound of Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath is unmistakably metal :)

Modern metal is a very different beast though.
Ghost are an interesting band who look more metal than they sound. Good band, though.

The Black Sabbath "sound", ergo, the early metal sound, came from Iommi playing guitar with two fingertips on his fretting hand missing, and extensive use of the "devil's note".

Bobbin

Executive Member
Ghost are an interesting band who look more metal than they sound. Good band, though.

The Black Sabbath "sound", ergo, the early metal sound, came from Iommi playing guitar with two fingertips on his fretting hand missing, and extensive use of the "devil's note".

First 20 seconds reminded me of your post :)

JohnStarr

Expert Member
...she really sings like this in real life. She was out with the guy from Seether (that "South African" band where Shawn Morgan is the only person from RSA) years ago at some New years Bash. She's brilliant! Sang a few songs from Evenescence's debut CD with Seether as her backing band.

Akasha

Executive Member
...she really sings like this in real life. She was out with the guy from Seether (that "South African" band where Shawn Morgan is the only person from RSA) years ago at some New years Bash. She's brilliant! Sang a few songs from Evenescence's debut CD with Seether as her backing band.
It always makes me happy when the voice in the song is the same as the voice on the stage.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
OK. When does rock become metal? And all the various things that rock gave birth to.

Tempo, harmony, distortion, themes and vocals all shift the change from rock to all the variations of metal.

Last edited:

prOd

Expert Member
Giving the album a listen now, loving it so far.

After giving it a few listens...I definitely prefer it to Magma, feels more like L'Enfant Sauvage to me, which I absolutely love!

Favourite songs (for now): Hold On, Into The Storm & Grind