The Most Stupid Question Ever...

P00HB33R

So I know you guys are going to think me a total dumb-ass but...

Is it possible that extensive hours of programming over a week or 3 can be detrimental to ones mental or physical health?

(I work out 2 x a week, and work my regular job during the week days) But weekends and almost every other spare minute I have, I am programming, trying to finish a project for a client. I have no deadline but I am trying to finish it as quickly as possible.

The reason I am asking is, I have noticed lately that when I have programmed for a few hours, when I do go to bed eventually, my mind keeps racing through the code I have written and things to write the next day. This makes falling asleep very hard, and I feel "strange" in the morning. Don't ask me to clarify "strange", I can't. :sick:

Suppose its just mental fatigue, but just wanted to hear your guys opinion on this.

Last edited:

P00HB33R

Also, I have found myself reasoning a lot in the real world using functions, algorithms etc. I would normally use in my code.
EISH!

fish_man

Expert Member
you need to get your mind off code before you go to bed........maybe play a game for 30mins before you go to bed or you know maby play with yourself before you go to bed ......anything that helps you to take you're mind off code

Last edited:

Hamster

Resident Rodent
It happens. When we go on 2 or 3 week stints of hard work to reach a deadline or lab support you sometimes do struggle to sleep. I find getting up again (after I've tried to sleep but can't), going to the bathroom and drinking a glass of water helps.

If it is any condolence, it does seem to get easier with time.

Dylan_G

Expert Member
Read a book/news of the day before bed ?

Honestly, this sounds like the overworking/stress stuff your teachers warn you about in LO.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Read a book/news of the day before bed ?

Honestly, this sounds like the overworking/stress stuff your teachers warn you about in LO.

If you are going to read a book make it something boring. Else you'll just sit with the same problem :p

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
Play a game OP, something with a captivating story to take your mind off coding

S1ght

Expert Member
Happens all the time to me close to deadlines. Not the easiest thing to explain to people who don't code >.<

semaphore

Honorary Master
If it is any condolence, it does seem to get easier with time.

While it does get easier its still not right, our brains are not meant to be stretched to the limits like that, lack of sleep is toxic. Mental faculties start shutting down in order for the brain to rest.

@P00HB33R

While playing a game and all the other options will reduce the thought processes, the over stretched work periods of that nature are usually because of under staffing, incorrect staffing, bad planning, bad management or a mix mash of all the of the aforementioned.

I have had this argument with numerous people, developers that burn the candle at both ends are not necessarily great developers. Code smarter not harder. You can boast that you coded for 20 hours straight but at the end of the day you're going to feel drained, ****, angry etc. It is not worth the money in my opinion.

P00HB33R

While it does get easier its still not right, our brains are not meant to be stretched to the limits like that, lack of sleep is toxic. Mental faculties start shutting down in order for the brain to rest.

@P00HB33R

While playing a game and all the other options will reduce the thought processes, the over stretched work periods of that nature are usually because of under staffing, incorrect staffing, bad planning, bad management or a mix mash of all the of the aforementioned.

I have had this argument with numerous people, developers that burn the candle at both ends are not necessarily great developers. Code smarter not harder. You can boast that you coded for 20 hours straight but at the end of the day you're going to feel drained, ****, angry etc. It is not worth the money in my opinion.

Thought I agree with what you are saying, in my case it is purely a hobby/sideline job. I do make some nice cash on the side with coding but I allow myself more than enough time project wise to complete the job. I think my issue stems from obsessive behavior i.r.t getting the code done, and making it work as expected. Also, I will sometimes re-write a function or algo several times, each time trimming the fat to get the cleanest and most functional code.

Basically I am just worried if the sleeplessness will have an impact on my health mentally and physically. Scared of losing my mind you know. If you start making financial decisions using an IF statement in your head, you know something is out-of-whack.

semaphore

Honorary Master
Basically I am just worried if the sleeplessness will have an impact on my health mentally and physically. Scared of losing my mind you know. If you start making financial decisions using an IF statement in your head, you know something is out-of-whack.

If you continue down that path of no sleep, yes it will impact your health. I dont make IF statements in my head, but then when i read code i read it as a human would, not how the lexicon parses it. And its not out of whack per say, you are just not disassociating yourself from your work.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/health/416463/How-lack-of-sleep-can-harm-mental-health

Last edited:

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
What? You mean this isn't normal? ;)

I'm not a code geek but my brain doesn't switch off before I go to bed either.

That's why I've stopped bothering with these incessant sleeping patterns people insist we should be having.

I go to bed when I'm tired. End of story.

I don't try to force myself to be in bed by 11 so I can be back up at 7 or wherever just to waste my time laying awake for most of it.

Either keep programming until you are tired enough not to be able to think about it or do something else until you are.

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
I used to dream in code. You learn to switch off. It will be fine.
First things first. This mantra: 'I know its important. I'll look at it tomorrow morning' - if you are lying in bed worrying about a specific problem.

adam_g

Got myself a pair of gunnar optiks it reduces eye fatigue which helps you sleep after excessive hours of looking at a monitor or a couple :p

Creag

The Boar's Rock
What? You mean this isn't normal? ;)

I'm not a code geek but my brain doesn't switch off before I go to bed either.

That's why I've stopped bothering with these incessant sleeping patterns people insist we should be having.

I go to bed when I'm tired. End of story.

I don't try to force myself to be in bed by 11 so I can be back up at 7 or wherever just to waste my time laying awake for most of it.

Either keep programming until you are tired enough not to be able to think about it or do something else until you are.

Likewise. Getting to sleep isn't easy. I end up playing a game on my phone, reading a book or watching some telly to help me relax. I am a bit of an insomniac, the kind that can't get to sleep, but struggles to get up in the morning.

However, if I had to wait until I felt tired before I settled down, I would be a wreck the following day :)

@OP, try listening to some music. Something that allows you to relax. It is another alternative to help you wind down.

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
If you can't sleep - Get out of bed. Sit and read. Get a glass milk. Do Yoga (If its your style)
Do not go do work. Remember the mantra - 'I know its important. I'll look at it tomorrow'
Took me years to stop working while at home.

shauntir

I've definitely had the same issue as OP. I usually have very bad sleeping patterns. The only thing that helps me is having some sleep on the weekend during the day so that I feel refreshed for the week ahead.

When I don't get that, my week is pretty bad since I too code for long periods and don't have enough time away from the pc. Mind racing is probably more common than most think.