The Nicholas Ninow Rape Case and Trial

She expressed herself poorly. She doesn't mean we should not be shocked by the rape of a child - she means all rape - regardless of who the victim is - should shock us. We should not view rape in degrees based on the victims and perpetrators. But she is not getting that message across.

She then goes on to make it worse by bringing in racism. Why can we not focus on one incident at a time? Why must racism always take the focus off the issue at hand and lead us down a path that is already muddy?! This doesn't help anyone. Yes racism exists. Yes people say stupid things when they are angry. They do not think about the consequences of their words. Other angry people hear their words and take their own meaning from them and get angrier. And a little girl's life is in ruins and we argue about who is more violent and how the ANC are demonizing white people, and how white people think they are better because they could not be savages. It is insanity. We keep going down this road.

The issue is that we have a real problem of rape in South Africa. It has nothing to do with colour, or race or language. We have to find the cause - be it a mental meltdown, lack of respect for other human beings, a psychological flaw - whatever. Arguing about race will not get us there.
 
You didn't know you can get a PHD in bull shyt? She's a PHD candidate in gender studies as far as I can tell.

I know PHD != Smart people. But you would think someone can actually think logical. But yea.. my bad!
 
Interesting. I read that he's refusing to hand his cellphone over as his lawyer says he has a right to not incriminate himself. There must be some sick **** stored on there.
Dealer contacts.
 
She expressed herself poorly. She doesn't mean we should not be shocked by the rape of a child - she means all rape - regardless of who the victim is - should shock us. We should not view rape in degrees based on the victims and perpetrators. But she is not getting that message across.

She then goes on to make it worse by bringing in racism. Why can we not focus on one incident at a time? Why must racism always take the focus off the issue at hand and lead us down a path that is already muddy?! This doesn't help anyone. Yes racism exists. Yes people say stupid things when they are angry. They do not think about the consequences of their words. Other angry people hear their words and take their own meaning from them and get angrier. And a little girl's life is in ruins and we argue about who is more violent and how the ANC are demonizing white people, and how white people think they are better because they could not be savages. It is insanity. We keep going down this road.

The issue is that we have a real problem of rape in South Africa. It has nothing to do with colour, or race or language. We have to find the cause - be it a mental meltdown, lack of respect for other human beings, a psychological flaw - whatever. Arguing about race will not get us there.

The cause could be related to the sex of the offender? In 99% of cases, anyway.
 
I'm just trying to put myself in this dude's shoes . . . "I'm just gonna go into this restaurant (a public place I might add), scope around for a victim, female toilet is the perfect ambush area, drag them to male toilet and do my thing. Nobody will ever know! Pfft! Perfect plan. Jeez! I'm such a genius! If someone does manage to confront me, I'll just tell them I came to take a schit. Brilliant! Crap, I'm half naked with blood all over me! . . . no problem, I'll just stick to my original excuse. People schit naked in public toilets all the time!"
 
No women rape too. Granted it is not as common (or rather people talk about it less frequently) - but it does happen.
That's just what I said.
However, the risk factor on "who is likely to rape" is much, much higher for males.
 
I'm just trying to put myself in this dude's shoes . . . "I'm just gonna go into this restaurant (a public place I might add), scope around for a victim, female toilet is the perfect ambush area, drag them to male toilet and do my thing. Nobody will ever know! Pfft! Perfect plan. Jeez! I'm such a genius! If someone does manage to confront me, I'll just tell them I came to take a schit. Brilliant! Crap, I'm half naked with blood all over me! . . . no problem, I'll just stick to my original excuse. People schit naked in public toilets all the time!"

I am not entirely sure it was totally premeditated but I do believe he would have fantasized about it - a lot. The drunker he got, the more the images in his head would have overwhelmed the logic. And when she went to the bathroom, he could not resist the urge to follow. He was in luck - she was alone in there. He possibly made a joke about walking into the wrong toilet - and then grabbed her. Or he pushed his way in as she walked into a stall. My brain refuses to go further. The terror she must have felt!
 
What do you mean by risk factor?

The probability that a given individual will commit rape.
The point is, it's not (as you pointed out) anything to do with race, economic status or even culture .
The real factor here is sex.
That's where we must start if we want to try to understand this.
 
The probability that a given individual will commit rape.
The point is, it's not (as you pointed out) anything to do with race, economic status or even culture .
The real factor here is sex.
That's where we must start if we want to try to understand this.

I had always heard that rape was about power and dominance - and not about sex. They get sexual gratification - but that is not the driving force. Perhaps I misremember.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X