The official Mikrotik router thread

HApyM3al

Expert Member
I really like Mikrotik, but there is one issue I have with it which annoys me, the lack of a central management tool. I know The Dude can do that, but The Dude isn't that great, it leaves a bitter taste when comparing it with the Unif tools.
TR069 ‍♂

Anthro

Expert Member
PSA - Scoop have received their HAP-AC2 stock
Just picked mine up <3

miktik.PNG

Last edited:

linkinpark

Expert Member
Got a HAP AC2 from Uniterm in early March, they had plenty stock, was around R1100 including delivery. Try them if you're having trouble finding stock.

powermzii

Expert Member
So decided to embark on this Mikrotik journey and with my limited networking knowledge i was able to get this setup up and running in a little over 2hrs:

> Huawei B618 (Telkom LTE) - providing Internet connectivity
--> Mikrotik RB9412nD hAP lite - LAN routing + DHCP +basic firewall. WiFi is disabled
-->> Airties WiFi Node - providing WiFi in a MESH setup with 2 other nodes all with static IPs. Not possible at the moment to run Ethernet to the ends of the house where the Airties reside

On 2 of the Airties nodes I have a dumb switch to connect devices at those ends - VOIP Phone, NAS, SmartTV, AppleTV etc

Setup works well for now and I also downloaded the Android app which is very functionally rich. On this i've setup the *Kid Mode* and added various wired and wireless devices and setup schedules for those that need them. Very basic setup but it works and i must give a shoutout to this dude's guides which i followed - TKSJA which made the whole process easier

Next would be to setup bandwidth priority using queues for various use cases but i will leave that for a weekend when i have lots of time.

Random question - f i setup a guest Wifi SSID on the Airties can i add it to a bandwidth queue so that it is limited? The Airties setup for guest is painfully simple with just SSID and password

PsyWulf

Executive Member
Random question - f i setup a guest Wifi SSID on the Airties can i add it to a bandwidth queue so that it is limited? The Airties setup for guest is painfully simple with just SSID and password
Assign specific IP Range/VLAN to the Guest SSID clients,use that tag for the rate limiting queue

powermzii

Expert Member
Have any of you guys setup remote access to your routers from the Internet? Say you need to update rules / change something while you are not home?

Edit: Anyone know of or used this service? -> https://www.cloutik.com

Last edited:

killerbyte

Expert Member
Use the Mikrotik app on your phone to remotely access your mikrotik ro
Have any of you guys setup remote access to your routers from the Internet? Say you need to update rules / change something while you are not home?

Normally I remotely access my mikrotik routers through winbox when I have my laptop and the Mikrotik app on my phone.

That Cloutik service is something I am not keen to try for a few reasons:
1. Giving someone else access to my routers scares me.
2. I created an account with a very secure password only for the confirmation email to email me my password back in plain text!!! WTF!

powermzii

Expert Member
Use the Mikrotik app on your phone to remotely access your mikrotik ro

Normally I remotely access my mikrotik routers through winbox when I have my laptop and the Mikrotik app on my phone.

That Cloutik service is something I am not keen to try for a few reasons:
1. Giving someone else access to my routers scares me.
2. I created an account with a very secure password only for the confirmation email to email me my password back in plain text!!! WTF!
Yeah it DID look VERY dodgy...

Tried to setup a VPN but did it very quickly so it didn't work. Will spend more time with it on the weekend

Am using the app on my phone - very full featured.

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep

Sooo many ways to get this right without sharing access to your router with a 3rd party. The Tiks have a build in ddns service with can address you to your router with ease (unless you’re behind a SP NAT). Also an extremely powerful firewall, multiple VPN options and more, there are bunch of options to get this right.

VPN is the most secure. SSTP and L2TP IPSec are easy to configure and give you a buffer, plus the added advantage of remote access to your LAN.

If you’re more confident and less worried about security, port forwarding and one of their clever (not html please) protocols will give you access anytime. Just don’t use standard ports. Ever.

powermzii

Expert Member
Sooo many ways to get this right without sharing access to your router with a 3rd party. The Tiks have a build in ddns service with can address you to your router with ease (unless you’re behind a SP NAT). Also an extremely powerful firewall, multiple VPN options and more, there are bunch of options to get this right.

VPN is the most secure. SSTP and L2TP IPSec are easy to configure and give you a buffer, plus the added advantage of remote access to your LAN.

If you’re more confident and less worried about security, port forwarding and one of their clever (not html please) protocols will give you access anytime. Just don’t use standard ports. Ever.
Thanks for this - yeah definitely not keen to share info with 3rd parties for this. Also its not a huge requirement at the moment so will put it on the back burner and focus on other items i need to do on the router and network in general - on that note i must go and disable those firewall rules that were created when I activated VPN

PsyWulf

Executive Member

I've got it exposed behind an Nginx reverse proxy with extra authentication running on a Pi,and SSH access chained from the Pi too

rubber_otter

Expert Member
Prolly since 2014. Still very brokem. Almost bricked a hAP AC^2. netinstalled 6.45.5 after 2 hours of struggling.

Have it running on a 3011. The torrent client is nice. Doesn't download anything, but its nice.