The official Mikrotik router thread

Genisys

Executive Member
Personally, once my stuff is setup, I only look at it when I want to update it.

Havent used Unifi (just have an AP that I never touch except updates) and their shiny UI, but for the money paid, the Mikrotik stuff is insanely flexible.

Want to see whats going on on an IP or an interface? Just use torch. You can see every single connection thats happening live. The queues are also super easy to set up.

I set up a master simple queue, then a sub queue for my mibox, sub queue for one or two specific devices, then a sub queue for everything else on the network. Each has their own priority and throughput ruleset. No mangle or funky rule's.

Thats about all I need out of it for now and it does everything I need.

One thing that might help you decide is look at what feature set you need, and what performance you need. I know for a fact that if you switch on all the bells and whistles on the Ubiquiti USG that the max throughput is around 85Mb/s. If you want those features for more performance you have to get the USG Pro. Not sure how Mikrotik stacks up when going toe to toe, but sure the guys here might be able to help.
Personally I'll stick to my RB4011 for routing purposes. Comparing an USG3 to a RB760 the RB760 beats the USG3 hand down. I can't compare my RB4011 with a USG-Pro as the 4011 is capable of 10Gbps.

HeftyCrab

Expert Member
Personally I'll stick to my RB4011 for routing purposes. Comparing an USG3 to a RB760 the RB760 beats the USG3 hand down. I can't compare my RB4011 with a USG-Pro as the 4011 is capable of 10Gbps.
Oh snap, didnt see that you already have a Tik for the routing. Guess you were just referring to the wifi :)

Nicholas Marzio

Hope you guys have upgraded your ROS and Firmware already :)

What's new in 6.43.12 (2019-Feb-08 11:46):

MAJOR CHANGES IN v6.43.12:
----------------------
!) winbox - improvements in connection handling to router with open winbox service (CVE-2019–3924);
----------------------

Genisys

Executive Member

----------------------
!) winbox - improvements in connection handling to router with open winbox service (CVE-2019–3924);
----------------------
Only need to upgrade my internet facing routers, so I'm sorted on that front :p

bar1

Expert Member
My Hap ac2 is on its way and hopefully, I will get it today!
For now, I will not get the unfi ac unit as i don't really want to mount it on the ceiling and run cables.....too much work.

I have a few questions regarding POE, very interesting technology but unfortunately, I never worked with it.

I would like my CPE to be powered through the Mikrotik.

I have no idea if the CPE is poe enabled or not.
will the Mikrotik be able to power on a device?or is it able to be powered on via lan?or both?
will i need a poe injector?

AfricanTech

Honorary Master

----------------------
----------------------
Stable Branch - 6.44 Released Feb 25

HeftyCrab

Expert Member
My Hap ac2 is on its way and hopefully, I will get it today!
For now, I will not get the unfi ac unit as i don't really want to mount it on the ceiling and run cables.....too much work.

I have a few questions regarding POE, very interesting technology but unfortunately, I never worked with it.

I would like my CPE to be powered through the Mikrotik.

I have no idea if the CPE is poe enabled or not.
will the Mikrotik be able to power on a device?or is it able to be powered on via lan?or both?
will i need a poe injector?
Doubt its POE enabled. What Fibre infrastructure provider are you using? Vumatel?

bar1

Expert Member
I have my TV connect to port 2 on the mikrotik, the mikrotik establish a VPN server to the US.

how can i route all traffic from the TV to the VPN (only that traffic)?

Genisys

Executive Member
I have my TV connect to port 2 on the mikrotik, the mikrotik establish a VPN server to the US.

how can i route all traffic from the TV to the VPN (only that traffic)?
I use a Mangle rule that does routing marks on all traffic from one IP then I add a route via the VPN for that routing mark. Might not be the most optimal way however, but works as intended.

AntennaMan

Expert Member
I have a question and hope someone can assist.

I'm not that clued-up with my Mikrotik but have managed to get some essentials working properly.

I have a small server with Pi-Hole running. I'm using Netwatch on the Mikrotik to check that the server is up. If it is up, the Netwatch tool sets the IP of the DNS server to the Pi-Hole. If the server is down, it sets the DNS IP address to Cloudflare (1.1.1.1). This works really well, with one exception...

My question is this:
In the Winbox GUI, it is possible to set multiple DNS IP's (under IP->DNS). How do I set multiple entries using a script?
In the Netwatch tool, my little script only sets one IP.

HApyM3al

Expert Member
I have a question and hope someone can assist.

I'm not that clued-up with my Mikrotik but have managed to get some essentials working properly.

I have a small server with Pi-Hole running. I'm using Netwatch on the Mikrotik to check that the server is up. If it is up, the Netwatch tool sets the IP of the DNS server to the Pi-Hole. If the server is down, it sets the DNS IP address to Cloudflare (1.1.1.1). This works really well, with one exception...

My question is this:
In the Winbox GUI, it is possible to set multiple DNS IP's (under IP->DNS). How do I set multiple entries using a script?
In the Netwatch tool, my little script only sets one IP.
Seems straight forward.

Pretty sure you script doing something like /ip dns set servers=1.1.1.1

So change to /ip dns set servers=1.1.1.1,2.2.2.2

Just whatever value you need.

AntennaMan

Expert Member
Seems straight forward.

Pretty sure you script doing something like /ip dns set servers=1.1.1.1

So change to /ip dns set servers=1.1.1.1,2.2.2.2

Just whatever value you need.
Thanks, that did the trick.

I just wasn't sure what the notation was, ie what separator to use between IP addresses.