The official running thread™

notayoba

Expert Member
4:27 for my first marathon.
What I learnt: Just because you’re feeling strong for 20kms, you should’ve just gone a bit slower in order for a stronger finish. I also want to work on more hills in training as well as strengthening the legs. I ran till about the 38km mark where i needed my first walk on a hill section. Fueling was solid, no bad chafing but nipples need some tender loving.

Well done to @ShaunSA for his good 10k!
Well done. In my experience, it doesn't help much to start slow, you get tired anyway around the 30k mark. Might as well make up time while you have energy. Or at least that's my story that I'm sticking to. Within reason of course, not talking about sprinting.

wise_guy

Expert Member
After reflecting on yesterday's performance and trying to figure out what caused the weaker 2nd half, I suspect I didn't take in enough water.

The sachet's were 100mls , I'm normally used to drinking 200mls of water every 40 minutes or so...
At least you know you fueled well. I think you meant Garmin gave you 3:17 at 32km?

RunningFromFat

Expert Member
At least you know you fueled well. I think you meant Garmin gave you 3:17 at 32km?
Whoops, I split the halves. 3:15:30+- at 32km. My garmin 42.2 time was 4:23 but race distance data is about 42.7km hence the 4:27 finishing time. I only ran/walked two kilometres above 6mins/km at the end.

RunningFromFat

Expert Member
Well done. In my experience, it doesn't help much to start slow, you get tired anyway around the 30k mark. Might as well make up time while you have energy. Or at least that's my story that I'm sticking to. Within reason of course, not talking about sprinting.
Thanks. I’ll learn and improve. Body felt fine but definitely needed more water intake to maintain my speeds. I like finishing runs strong.

surface

Honorary Master
So, I am thinking of taking up running (well, it would be jogging or toddling compared to most of your speeds) now that my orthopedic doc says I am nearly recovered from foot fracture & related issues. Need to wear arch support shoes forever unfortunately.

If I buy fancy pants shoes like many have suggested, how long do they last approximately? 1 year? Let us say 5km run and 4 times a week.

notayoba

Expert Member
So, I am thinking of taking up running (well, it would be jogging or toddling compared to most of your speeds) now that my orthopedic doc says I am nearly recovered from foot fracture & related issues. Need to wear arch support shoes forever unfortunately.

If I buy fancy pants shoes like many have suggested, how long do they last approximately? 1 year? Let us say 5km run and 4 times a week.
Depends on your weight. I work on about 800km per pair (85kg)

Edit: A quick google says that apparently I'm optimistic and should aim more for the 500km mark.

Jehosefat

Expert Member

Edit: A quick google says that apparently I'm optimistic and should aim more for the 500km mark.
Yeah, I'm 80 - 85kg and I don't get more than 600km out of a pair of shoes.

wise_guy

Expert Member

Lots to consider including the quality of the shoe but one tip I'd recommend is use a cheaper shoe for short runs and a high quality shoe for longer distances. You'll get double the time usage. I've got a 3y old Asics Kayano that still looks and feels new.

As it is you'll need 3 or pairs at given time to slip on and go for a run depending on the conditions.
Start with a basic runner and then upgrade once you're more consistent.

Claymore

Executive Member

On my no. 1 pair of shoes, I'm at about 900km, and they're like new (New Balance 860V10). My no. 2 and 3 pairs (NB 860 V9 and V8) are at 1500km now, and I use them at Parkrun on trails or where I think it'll be dirty. They've both had toe holes repaired (I do that to my shoes), but still OK. Over 110kg.

notayoba

Expert Member
On my no. 1 pair of shoes, I'm at about 900km, and they're like new (New Balance 860V10). My no. 2 and 3 pairs (NB 860 V9 and V8) are at 1500km now, and I use them at Parkrun on trails or where I think it'll be dirty. They've both had toe holes repaired (I do that to my shoes), but still OK. Over 110kg.
I suspect those shoes are more worn out than you think.

OnlyOneKenobi

I was thinking of entering a 5km/10km race at the end of the month and then saw in the rules for that race, that iPods and listening devices are not allowed... meh... I like listening to music when I run. In fact, I would probably struggle without it. I might also have work obligations on that weekend so I guess it's not meant to be. :cautious:

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad
I was thinking of entering a 5km/10km race at the end of the month and then saw in the rules for that race, that iPods and listening devices are not allowed... meh... I like listening to music when I run. In fact, I would probably struggle without it. I might also have work obligations on that weekend so I guess it's not meant to be. :cautious:

I sometimes use earphones when doing PR which is all off-road. Helps me keep pace. I've tried it on road runs and realised it can get a bit distracting

Think road races don't allow them to prevent you from being distracted and getting run over by some d00s driver who didn't listen to the marshall. Big races they might also have an issue with lead runners getting fed race info maybe?

Saw a few guys ignore the rule at MCM a few weeks back though

OnlyOneKenobi

I sometimes use earphones when doing PR which is all off-road. Helps me keep pace. I've tried it on road runs and realised it can get a bit distracting

Think road races don't allow them to prevent you from being distracted and getting run over by some d00s driver who didn't listen to the marshall. Big races they might also have an issue with lead runners getting fed race info maybe?

Saw a few guys ignore the rule at MCM a few weeks back though
True, I suppose it can get distracting for some.

I make a point of either using transparency mode on Airpods or use open-ear bone conduction headphones so that I can still hear my surroundings. It has served me well enough, though I suppose race organisers can't control what types of headphones people use so they just ban them all then.

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad

I make a point of either using transparency mode on Airpods or use open-ear bone conduction headphones so that I can still hear my surroundings. It has served me well enough, though I suppose race organisers can't control what types of headphones people use so they just ban them all then.

Would love to get those bone conduction ones but they're bloody expensive!

And yeah guess it's a case of ban one ban all which makes sense tbh

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad
Anyone catch the hoo haa being made over the disqualification of the Zim runner at the Durban International?

It's turning into a schit show :ROFL:

AlmightyBender

Executive Member

Pretty sure that bone conducting ones are actually allowed..

wise_guy

Expert Member
The rule is applied for all marathons but I always see plenty ipods on display. It's more advice that rule.
Some conceal them under a buff which doubles up nicely as a sweat band.

Go for it.