The official running thread™

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
did just a 5km walk yesterday, could feel it in the legs, might try do a small 2km jog tomorrow to see how it s going.

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
Taking a break from running for a month or two -- going to focus on core strength and spinning classes instead.

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad
Treadmill for the rest of the week.

Might enter the Forest Hill's 10k on Sunday.

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
did a small run, 2km@11:37, legs felt very tender in the beginning but towards the end they felt a bit better, will see how they feel tomorrow.

handyman007

Looking to do a few half marathons in the next few months, Riebeeck Kasteel end of August, Moorreesburg in September and Voet van Afrika in Bredasdorp in October.

Eti1

Expert Member
Looking to do a few half marathons in the next few months, Riebeeck Kasteel end of August, Moorreesburg in September and Voet van Afrika in Bredasdorp in October.
Nice, all the best. I'm still deciding whether to do my first one this year or just focus on the 10km for now.

Jehosefat

Expert Member
First run yesterday after over a month of doing nothing. 5.1km in 28:59. Felt really good though. Could have gone a lot harder :)

Sepeng

Expert Member
Nice, all the best. I'm still deciding whether to do my first one this year or just focus on the 10km for now.
You and me both; think I'm going to aim for Two Oceans realistically. I thought about entering the Soweto 21KM one but figured it might be too much of a ramp up. Currently can just about do a 10k in 65 minutes.

handyman007

Boet, on the back of a lot of 5 km's and about 5 runs of between 7 and 12 km I managed to do the Knysna Half Marathon without major problems.

I'd say go for it.

Jehosefat

Expert Member
You and me both; think I'm going to aim for Two Oceans realistically. I thought about entering the Soweto 21KM one but figured it might be too much of a ramp up. Currently can just about do a 10k in 65 minutes.
You should be fine. before my first 21, the longest run I had done was 14km. I was doing 10-12km twice a week and a bunch of cycling leading up to it. Last 2km or so were pretty tough but otherwise it was fine.

gifs

Expert Member
You have plenty of time before Soweto to get ready for a half marathon. The longest run I ever did before my first half marathon was 13km. What I would suggest is that you incorporate one long run every weekend. You can start with 10k in week 1 and follow some sort of progression like this:
Week 1 - 10k
Week 2 - 11k
Week 3 - 12k
Week 4 - 10k
Week 5 - 11k
Week 6 - 12k
Week 7 - 13k
Week 8 - 11k
Week 9 - 12k
Week 10 - 13k
Week 11 - 14k
Week 12 - 12k
Week 13 - 13k
Week 14 - 14k
Week 15 - 15k
Week 16 - 13k
Week 17 - Race day

Supplement that with a couple of shorter runs in the week and you will be golden. You can incorporate some intervals and hill repeats for variation and building speed and strength, starting off slowly and following a similar weekly progression.

You will notice that the distance increases slowly, then every 4th week reduces to allow you to recover.

If you look around online you will find plenty of 16-week long beginner's half marathon training plans. And guess what, just over 16 weeks till Soweto marathon.

Eti1

Expert Member
Boet, on the back of a lot of 5 km's and about 5 runs of between 7 and 12 km I managed to do the Knysna Half Marathon without major problems.

I'd say go for it.
Well, I've done a few 15km long runs, running about 30km per week. Still don't feel ready lol.

But I take your point. At some point you just have to go for it.

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
did a small 1.5km run today, aat first i thought my legs felt great, shortly in i could feel it, im not sure what to do at this point, resting doesnt seem to help, running doesnt seem to help or make it worse.

L-Dog

Hey guys any tips for improving sprint speed 100, 200 and 500m? Co worker has been taking all my Strava segments and this has to stop.