The official running thread™

Scary_Turtle

Expert Member
Cool Ideas 10km results on the link below but not sure if they're 100%. Seems you needed to register your number to be on the results.

http://www.esctiming.com/participantresults?r=854&fbclid=IwAR0yA-3aF3y4eMfk0nzBnUZ4-3xE3sVdqaieje2R-pWBCGciHKjhUrHQBbs
I registered etc but I'm not on the list at all (race number doesn't even come up) :( o well next weekend is the Fairlands winter chiller https://www.entrytime.com/event-details/?EventId=6073 and I'm looking forward to it.

millennia

5km's without stopping this morning. I'm impressed with myself.

Wasn't the greatest idea to run down the path through the overgrown bramble though, now have a rash all over my legs lol

Eti1

Expert Member
5km's without stopping this morning. I'm impressed with myself.

Wasn't the greatest idea to run down the path through the overgrown bramble though, now have a rash all over my legs lol
Well done! (For the 5km not the rash)

millennia

Well done! (For the 5km not the rash)
Thanks! I know i should've turned around but couldn't be bothered at 5:30!

All this just so that i can get a sub 30 Parkrun! was 31 minutes this morning so i'm getting there

adidas

hi guys, while on topic of running :) - does anyone have a good suggestion for a watch to track progress etc? I've been looking at the Suuntos, Fitbits and Apple watch.

But not sure what exactly to go for, definitely need a GPS. And are the heart rate monitors working accurately, some reviews of some of the watches indicate some inaccuracies.

Ideally I don't want to spend more than R6k.

I only run 4 times a week for roughly 6km a time, looking for a watch to track progress and want to start running more.

Jaws677

hi guys, while on topic of running :) - does anyone have a good suggestion for a watch to track progress etc? I've been looking at the Suuntos, Fitbits and Apple watch.

But not sure what exactly to go for, definitely need a GPS. And are the heart rate monitors working accurately, some reviews of some of the watches indicate some inaccuracies.

I only run 4 times a week for roughly 6km a time, looking for a watch to track progress and want to start running more.
Also consider Garmin and Polar

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master

Garmin Forerunner 235. Well less than R6k. Got me through Comrades just fine.

gifs

Expert Member

Suunto Spartan Trainer is an excellent value for money option.

Also check out Amazon’s Prime sale, they have some fantastic Garmin deals.

dcrainmaker.com is the go-to site for reviews.

Scary_Turtle

Expert Member

Just done this exercise Garmin 235 is a 2015 model but a good watch for everything other then heart rate R3500 at sportsmans. Has access to store.

Garmin 45 is good at heart rate and ok at everything else R4000 at sportsmans. No store other then watch faces.

Garmin 245 is good at everything it's the 235 big brother and is probably the watch to go for at the moment but it pricey at R6000 non music R7500 with music at sportsmans.

Suunto for R3500 is good at all sports but doesn't really focus on running.

Polar at R3000 GPS plus heart rate monitor not great.

All have wrist heart rate monitors and garmin is best at GPS tracking its kinda what they do.

The reason to use sportsmans is they are cheaper then most places and you can activate discovery watch thing and get 10% back on purchase even more if you jump through all their hoops.

I got the garmin 45 heart rate monitor was important to me and I'm loving it, it's like having a coach on your arm all the time. I would have loved the 245 but I couldn't get myself to spend so much more on a watch.

jouda

Expert Member
I have a Garmin Vivoactive HR and I love it, but my battery life is really rubbish lately.

My next watch will be one that can charge with a normal USB cable and not a proprietary cable, like the one my Garmin uses... Ill have to fork out 600 of my hard earned zars if I ever have to replace it.

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
I have a Garmin Vivoactive HR and I love it, but my battery life is really rubbish lately.

My next watch will be one that can charge with a normal USB cable and not a proprietary cable, like the one my Garmin uses... Ill have to fork out 600 of my hard earned zars if I ever have to replace it.
how long have you had it and how long is the battery lasting now?

also I believe you can have the battery changed

adidas

thanks guys for all the feedback, back to the drawing board and looking at the Garmins now also. :)

handyman007

Takealot had the Suunto Spartan Sport Wrist HR on Daily Deals a few times this year. Bought mine for R 3 999 (usually around R 7k) and can't complain. More than a running watch as I'm looking to do a few sprint triathlons this year. If only looking for a running watch, I think Garmin will be slightly better.

Scary_Turtle

Expert Member
Takealot had the Suunto Spartan Sport Wrist HR on Daily Deals a few times this year. Bought mine for R 3 999 (usually around R 7k) and can't complain. More than a running watch as I'm looking to do a few sprint triathlons this year. If only looking for a running watch, I think Garmin will be slightly better.
its on special at Sportsmans Warehouse for R3500

Claymore

Executive Member
Got mine on special too. Really happy with it.

Claymore

Executive Member
I managed a 10K PB at Northgate last, and then hit another PB at Pirates on Sunday, so I'm pretty pleased. I missed beating my own Pirates time from 2016 by 2 seconds, but the distance in 2016 seems to have been 100m less.

One of my colleagues managed 40:49.