The official running thread™

L-Dog

Hey guys looking for a light weight running shoe (Short distance 5-10km) that can double as gym / cross training shoe? Any recommendations ? Currently have Asics Gel-Nibus 21 for longer runs but looking for a new gym / race shoe.

jouda

Expert Member
Have a look at Dennis Rehbock's site he has several guides on running shoes available in SA.
http://www.footdoctor.co.za/guides/
Thanks for this! My shoes are pretty worn, but Inonly got about 580KM out of them. Not sure how long they are supposed to last. Asics GT1000.

Also not sure if I should rather just get neutrals this time around, my shoes are worn pretty evenly at the bottom and only a slight bit of extra wear on the one heel.

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
Thanks for this! My shoes are pretty worn, but Inonly got about 580KM out of them. Not sure how long they are supposed to last. Asics GT1000.

Also not sure if I should rather just get neutrals this time around, my shoes are worn pretty evenly at the bottom and only a slight bit of extra wear on the one heel.
from what i can tell it varies a lot, but anything from like 300-500 miles, so you could be due

Ianf1

Expert Member

You can ask the assistants at running shoe stores, show them the old shoes, and ask them to watch you run. They are pretty knowledgeable if you are worried go to a Sports Podiatrist.

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master

Hmm, 580km seems quite low in mileage terms for your shoes to be giving up the ghost already. My current pair of Gel Nimbus 21's are on about 660km and I got over 1200km on my Gel Nimbus 20's last year. Is it just a wear issue on the soles or are they hurting your feet?

jouda

Expert Member
Hmm, 580km seems quite low in mileage terms for your shoes to be giving up the ghost already. My current pair of Gel Nimbus 21's are on about 660km and I got over 1200km on my Gel Nimbus 20's last year. Is it just a wear issue on the soles or are they hurting your feet?
I started feeling some discomfort in my one knee and Im getting blisters on the other foot in the arch.

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
whats that like a month of running for you xD

ChrisJ

The age of the shoes is also another factor. The rubber starts to break down over time. I replace road shoes every 18 months even though they've only done 500k or so.

Trail shoes are another matter, 4 pairs already this year. After 400k or so they are done for longs runs and are relegated to short. Table mountain eats trail shoes.

Scary_Turtle

Very respectable 15km in 1 hour 22mins on Sunday considering the amount I drank the night before.

This weekend I'm doing the https://www.mrltevents.com/post/arnold-chatz-piesangkloof-winter-trail going away for the weekend with some friends and we are all competing, its bittersweet for me because 3.5 months ago when we planned this was when I started training.

Are there any cool races for the 3rd or 4th of August in the JHB area because I haven't really planned past this.