The official running thread™

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
I need to shift my focus from swimming and cycling soon. Ive entered the gunrun in October. It will be my first 21.

September is going to be a hectic month, 1 Triathlon, and two cycling races, so Im not sure how to approach the running training.
I think the training for the triathlon and all the cycling will provide you with a level of fitness that will easily see you through the Gun Run. Apart from the climb up Kloof Road, it's relatively flat. If you're just looking to finish then don't stress about doing any additional work. If however you are looking to run a certain time (maybe a sub 2), you might need to crack on with some speed work. Go do a few 10 and 15km runs and push as hard as you can. Aim for 50 - 55 mins for 10km and between 1:20 and 1:30 for 15. A couple of those before the race will see you across that line in a good time. Good luck!

handyman007

I need to shift my focus from swimming and cycling soon. Ive entered the gunrun in October. It will be my first 21.

September is going to be a hectic month, 1 Triathlon, and two cycling races, so Im not sure how to approach the running training.
Which Triathlon?

Scary_Turtle

Expert Member
First run since my Flu and it had some ups and downs.

-1st km felt really good, did a 4:30 split and it felt like I was taking it easy.
-Next 500m chest felt yuck, had the blood taste in my mouth and had to walk home.

Not quiet ready but going try again on Thursday and hopefully can do a 5km on Friday for women's day.

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
First run since my Flu and it had some ups and downs.

-1st km felt really good, did a 4:30 split and it felt like I was taking it easy.
-Next 500m chest felt yuck, had the blood taste in my mouth and had to walk home.

Not quiet ready but going try again on Thursday and hopefully can do a 5km on Friday for women's day.
O_O

Emjay

Executive Member
Im going to do the RedHub Road Sprint at Cradle Moon lake.
That's a warmup. You will be fine.

in positive news i went to gym and did a quick weight session 3 times this week xD
Maybe you can help. Looking for a website or app that can give me a proper weight lifting program that is easy to follow and requires no thought. I am giving long distance triathlons a rest for the next year. Want to work on my very poor glute activation, and get some more core strength, and maybe add a little more shape to my arms :rolleyes:.

Any recommendations, or do you just go in and do your own thing?

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
That's a warmup. You will be fine.

Maybe you can help. Looking for a website or app that can give me a proper weight lifting program that is easy to follow and requires no thought. I am giving long distance triathlons a rest for the next year. Want to work on my very poor glute activation, and get some more core strength, and maybe add a little more shape to my arms :rolleyes:.

Any recommendations, or do you just go in and do your own thing?
I personally do the bro split xD

chest/triceps
back/biceps
shoulders/abs
legs

then kind of mix up the excercises, but like 4-5 excercises of 4 sets on each and maybe only 2 excercises on the smaller muscle groups like arms because my arms grow too fast in comparison.

it depends on your level, but if you are starting out look at 5 x 5

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad
Weekend runs guys?

8k Charity Trail run tomorrow...if it isn't raining
Park Run Saturday
12k Trail Run Sunday... with a murderous hill at the end :eek:

Emjay

Executive Member
I personally do the bro split xD

chest/triceps
back/biceps
shoulders/abs
legs

then kind of mix up the excercises, but like 4-5 excercises of 4 sets on each and maybe only 2 excercises on the smaller muscle groups like arms because my arms grow too fast in comparison.

it depends on your level, but if you are starting out look at 5 x 5
I have done some lifting, but I really prefer to be spoon fed on this stuff. Will check out 5x5 and see what I find.

Scary_Turtle

Expert Member
Best case scenario 5km Womens day run tomorrow, Sat 10km club run and Sun 10-15km club run.

Worste case scenario water boy, water boy and 5km club run :(