The official running thread™

Scary_Turtle

Expert Member
Got myself a long overdue new pair of shoes as mine had holes in the top, I had managed to rip the pad off the bottom, the laces couldn't lace properly as the plastic had ripped (no support) even with all that I kept them going until my quads, shins, calves were sore which happened surprisingly quickly all within a week.

They did manage around 700km's with a little help from shoe glue.

Been running in Brooks Adrenaline GTS 19 for a few days now calves, quads have relaxed and shin pain is almost gone.

What a difference a new pair of shoes makes feels like I'm running on clouds now haha.

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
Got myself a long overdue new pair of shoes as mine had holes in the top, I had managed to rip the pad off the bottom, the laces couldn't lace properly as the plastic had ripped (no support) even with all that I kept them going until my quads, shins, calves were sore which happened surprisingly quickly all within a week.

They did manage around 700km's with a little help from shoe glue.

Been running in Brooks Adrenaline GTS 19 for a few days now calves, quads have relaxed and shin pain is almost gone.

What a difference a new pair of shoes makes feels like I'm running on clouds now haha.
sjoe and you powered through it? thats some dedication, i struggle with my limited pain to keep going.

Scary_Turtle

Expert Member
For the guys in JHB Emmarentia area I found a really nice Tuesday run starting a Craft Beer Libary (CBL).

6km at a 7min/km pace or the 8km at 6min/km pace every Tuesday at 5:45pm. Very chilled social run and must have been about 20-25 runners.

Afterwards you get a special price on food and beers for the runners can't confirm how much as I had to leave in a hurry.

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
For the guys in JHB Emmarentia area I found a really nice Tuesday run starting a Craft Beer Libary (CBL).

6km at a 7min/km pace or the 8km at 6min/km pace every Tuesday at 5:45pm. Very chilled social run and must have been about 20-25 runners.

Afterwards you get a special price on food and beers for the runners can't confirm how much as I had to leave in a hurry.

made a runner then xD

/is a joke

Eti1

Expert Member
8km in 51 mins. Can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm gonna miss winter. Sun was killing me out there!

Scary_Turtle

Expert Member
I completed my first 20km ... well 19km took a wrong turn somewhere (runners brain) with my club this weekend ahead of the harriers 21km next weekend.

Damn the route that we got put on had 300 meters of elevation and you literally run up hill for the first 14km before you finally started coming down. Finished just under 6min/km so hopefully the harriers course is easier then that.

Not going to lie I was terrified before the run but got into a rhythm and before I knew it there were only a few km's left, was pretty thrilling feeling that tired but your legs keep moving.

jouda

Expert Member
Sooo I need a new pair of shoes. My Asics GT1000s lasted just over 700KM. That feels a bit low TBH. ..

The guys at the sweatshop took a look at my shoes and said that I dont pronate enough to warrant running with stability shoes. Only the one shoe shows signs of wear relating to pronation and its very very little. They recommended a neutral shoe with decent cushioning. I took a shot jog with a pair of Asics Nimbus 21s and BLIXEM what an awesome shoe (but sooooo bloody expensive :( )

Ive activated my shoe booster on Discovery and hopefully Ill get all the admin done today. Now the questions, anyone else used the shoe booster from Discovery? Is it worth it? From what I can see it looks like you join they Vitality running club automatically if you do, with the option to pay R100 for your ASA license.

EDIT: I dont run a lot (about 15 - 20KM a week), but Im training for my first 21 now. It it really worth getting the Nimbus, or will something like the Cumulus do? I know its not 100% ideal but Ill ten to one use the shoes for the odd Parkrun, but Im not really interested in getting trail shoes.

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
Sooo I need a new pair of shoes. My Asics GT1000s lasted just over 700KM. That feels a bit low TBH. ..

The guys at the sweatshop took a look at my shoes and said that I dont pronate enough to warrant running with stability shoes. Only the one shoe shows signs of wear relating to pronation and its very very little. They recommended a neutral shoe with decent cushioning. I took a shot jog with a pair of Asics Nimbus 21s and BLIXEM what an awesome shoe (but sooooo bloody expensive :( )

Ive activated my shoe booster on Discovery and hopefully Ill get all the admin done today. Now the questions, anyone else used the shoe booster from Discovery? Is it worth it? From what I can see it looks like you join they Vitality running club automatically if you do, with the option to pay R100 for your ASA license.
from what i have ready that seems normalish or at least on the low side of normal.

Scary_Turtle

Expert Member

EDIT: I dont run a lot (about 15 - 20KM a week), but Im training for my first 21 now. It it really worth getting the Nimbus, or will something like the Cumulus do? I know its not 100% ideal but Ill ten to one use the shoes for the odd Parkrun, but Im not really interested in getting trail shoes.
I don't really like the sweat shop I've been to both Dunkeld and Broadacres, both times they recommended shoes with really high price tags and said I over pronate when I actually supinate.

I have been met with a decent amount of push back when speaking to other runners about the sweat shop so just going to leave it there.

I trust the guys from Randburg Runners they have never lead me in the wrong direction and when I say I only want to spend R1500 they sell you the best shoe you can get for R1500. They also stock older models at greatly reduced prices sometimes down to R1000 - R1300 but most of there good shoes cost around R1800. Maybe worth it to stop by and get advice then go past sportsmans to buy your shoes so you can activate shoe booster.

Saying all that I'm in a pair of Brooks that cost R2500 and they are far better then my Asics GT 2000-6 for R1500.

Please don't join the Vitality running club they are always the fat ones with orange shirts rather join Run zone, Harriers or Pirates depending where you live. You can also join all there facebook pages to get a general understanding of there culture and they all have really good weekend social runs.

Last edited:

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
Please don't join the Vitality running club they are always the fat ones with orange shirts rather join Run zone, Harriers or Pirates depending where you live. You can also join all there facebook pages to get a general understanding of there culture and they all have really good weekend social runs.
xD

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad
Have two trail runs coming up this weekend.

Tomorrow is an 8k Nelson Mandela Trail Run. Sunday is 10k's at Eston.
Official results are in. 50:10 and 1:00:26

Mandela 8k had a brutal hill at the start which i ended up walking :oops:
Eston ended up being 10.9k's.
Chuffed with both results but thinking I could have pushed a tad harder and knocked off those few extra seconds.

jouda

Expert Member
I don't really like the sweat shop I've been to both Dunkeld and Broadacres, both times they recommended shoes with really high price tags and said I over pronate when I actually supinate.

I have been met with a decent amount of push back when speaking to other runners about the sweat shop so just going to leave it there.
I went to the one in Bedfordview and Im pretty happy with how they treated me. They suggested cheaper options too, but hey getting a second opinion might not be a bad thing.

I trust the guys from Randburg Runners they have never lead me in the wrong direction and when I say I only want to spend R1500 they sell you the best shoe you can get for R1500. They also stock older models at greatly reduced prices sometimes down to R1000 - R1300 but most of there good shoes cost around R1800. Maybe worth it to stop by and get advice then go past sportsmans to buy your shoes so you can activate shoe booster.

Saying all that I'm in a pair of Brooks that cost R2500 and they are far better then my Asics GT 2000-6 for R1500.
Ill see if I can find them, thanks.

I am fat (according to my Vitality age:crying::laugh::ROFL:), so I guess Ill blend in with the orange shirt. Why not use the perks if I get it as part of the shoe booster?