The official running thread™

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
Thanks. Signed up as well. Let's go Team SA. Let's beat those melanin deficient Poms. We got the sun and the landscape!
yes and no, the weather there is sometimes perfect for running with cooler temps and they have massive maintained parks close to big areas that are safe and clean

InvisibleJim

Expert Member
Thanks. Signed up as well. Let's go Team SA. Let's beat those melanin deficient Poms. We got the sun and the landscape!
I'm a melanin deficient Pom still peeling from the one day of sunshine we had in Uvongo last week. You've seriously wounded my inner child.

Where do I sign up?

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
Sportsman's Warehouse running a sale. Was in there today as I need new shoes for 2020. My current road shoes (Asics Gel Nimbus 21's) are on sale for R1,899 marked down from R2,700. Pretty decent sale. I stood staring at them for like 5min until I turned on my heel and walked out.

Specials on trail shoes too for thems interested.

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
yes and no, the weather there is sometimes perfect for running with cooler temps and they have massive maintained parks close to big areas that are safe and clean
Haha yeah. I guess starting in March helps them but I was in the UK for around 6 weeks last year in October and part of November and it got so dark at 4pm sharp. If I wasn't on holiday, I wouldn't have bothered running after work, which probably would have been 7 or 8pm? But yes, on average, the Park Run average time is faster in the UK than SA because there was usually no or very few walkers in the Park Run.

Method

Executive Member
Sportsman's Warehouse running a sale. Was in there today as I need new shoes for 2020. My current road shoes (Asics Gel Nimbus 21's) are on sale for R1,899 marked down from R2,700. Pretty decent sale. I stood staring at them for like 5min until I turned on my heel and walked out.

Thanks, will have a look. Need a new pair of trail shoes. My Salomons are worn out.

martin

Expert Member
Can anyone recommend some good reading material/resources for properly taking care of your knees (and I guess other joints too)? I've started running again in September of last year after finally managing to sort out my problems with heel spurs and I'm noticing occasional discomfort in my left knee, especially after my 10k runs.
Apologies for quoting my own post but I'd really appreciate any advice on taking care of my knees.

Eti1

Expert Member
Apologies for quoting my own post but I'd really appreciate any advice on taking care of my knees.
Maybe it's an overuse injury re the leg muscles since you have been out for a while. In which case take it slow, ease up on the 10km runs, build up your strength slowly. Smaller strides. Massage the legs nicely with foam roller, hands or other objects.

If it's really knee trouble, get a doctor's advice.

martin

Expert Member
Maybe it's an overuse injury re the leg muscles since you have been out for a while. In which case take it slow, ease up on the 10km runs, build up your strength slowly. Smaller strides. Massage the legs nicely with foam roller, hands or other objects.

If it's really knee trouble, get a doctor's advice.
I should have mentioned that I currently run 3 - 4 times a week but usually limit my runs to 3 - 6 kms. The distance is dependant on how I feel before a particular run (and paying extra attention to the state of my knee). I am also actively avoiding trails and any technical terrain.

I limit my 10k runs to one, every second week, at the moment. I've also been focusing on smaller strides since the start of December. This has made the biggest and most immediate difference to date and has definitely helped to limit the discomfort in my knee. I'm working on strength training at the gym but I'm being very cautious about the intensity of these sessions. I may be overly cautious but as I'm nearing my forties I don't want to risk serious injury. I'm really enjoying running at the moment. I also try to ice my knees after each run but I'm not sure if that is something worth doing.

I haven't even considered massaging with a foam roller so thank you for the suggestion! I'll definitely try it out. If I don't come right a visit to the doctor is definitely on the cards. I'm definitely not planning on risking any permanent damage.

jouda

Expert Member
Fell off my MTB (again) and stuffed up my shoulder so it looks like I'm going to be doing a lot of running over the next few weeks seeing as I can't swim or cycle outdoors until my shoulder has healed :cautious:
This is exactly my situation in December. :( Hope you heal up quickly!!

jouda

Expert Member
Is anyone doing the Dis-chem this weekend? Kinda stressing. I did a fair amount of training in December, but this will only be my second 21 and people say its rough...

Scary_Turtle

Expert Member

I went through on Friday got a 2nd pair of Brooks Adrenaline 19 and Cascadia trail shoes for R2700. When I bought my 19's I paid R2700 so mega deal for me.

Charlesjjm

Is anyone doing the Dis-chem this weekend? Kinda stressing. I did a fair amount of training in December, but this will only be my second 21 and people say its rough...
I'm doing it. It will be my first Dischem and first race of the year. I hope it won't be too bad, I've been running over the December holidays, but only 5ks at a time. Otherwise I see a lot of walking on Sunday....

Scary_Turtle

Expert Member
I should have mentioned that I currently run 3 - 4 times a week but usually limit my runs to 3 - 6 kms. The distance is dependant on how I feel before a particular run (and paying extra attention to the state of my knee). I am also actively avoiding trails and any technical terrain.

I limit my 10k runs to one, every second week, at the moment. I've also been focusing on smaller strides since the start of December. This has made the biggest and most immediate difference to date and has definitely helped to limit the discomfort in my knee. I'm working on strength training at the gym but I'm being very cautious about the intensity of these sessions. I may be overly cautious but as I'm nearing my forties I don't want to risk serious injury. I'm really enjoying running at the moment. I also try to ice my knees after each run but I'm not sure if that is something worth doing.

I haven't even considered massaging with a foam roller so thank you for the suggestion! I'll definitely try it out. If I don't come right a visit to the doctor is definitely on the cards. I'm definitely not planning on risking any permanent damage.
According to this
unless you have a knee injury/bad knees already running makes your knees stronger.

I'm no expert but I only really worry about things that only effect one side of my body, if both knees/claves/quads etc hurt I follow RICE Rest Ice Compression Elevation because it is normally an overuse injury. In the knee its prob an inflamed tendon but if it gets worse see a Physio (the doctor is going to give you anti inflammatory and send you to physio).

I pretty much always do stretch 5 https://www.self.com/gallery/best-stretches-for-knee-pain for my knees after a long run (I should before but don't) when doing this stretch you will hear a pop in the knee which releases the pressure and feels amazing. Foam roll as much as you can and do the full Foam roll guide
(I like this one for reasons :ROFL: ) when the glutes are tight it can effect the ankle that messes up the calf that messed up the knee.

martin

Expert Member
According to this
unless you have a knee injury/bad knees already running makes your knees stronger.

I'm no expert but I only really worry about things that only effect one side of my body, if both knees/claves/quads etc hurt I follow RICE Rest Ice Compression Elevation because it is normally an overuse injury. In the knee its prob an inflamed tendon but if it gets worse see a Physio (the doctor is going to give you anti inflammatory and send you to physio).

I pretty much always do stretch 5 https://www.self.com/gallery/best-stretches-for-knee-pain for my knees after a long run (I should before but don't) when doing this stretch you will hear a pop in the knee which releases the pressure and feels amazing. Foam roll as much as you can and do the full Foam roll guide
(I like this one for reasons :ROFL: ) when the glutes are tight it can effect the ankle that messes up the calf that messed up the knee.
This is exactly what I'm after. Thanks to both yourself and Eti1 for the advice!

Jaws677

Not that bad. Last 2km is Downhill all the way.

I'll be there for no 3

Maybe sneak in with a 1h45

Last edited:

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
I managed a half decent Parkrun last week. First Parkrun in the two years.

It's quite the site seeing 100kg 41year old trying to keep up with the front runners
Lol, 21min is 'half decent' according to you. Most of us can only dream of doing even close to that! :laugh: