The official running thread™

walterl

Expert Member
I did my 300th Parkrun on 1 Jan, and my son did his 100th. I came in 4th, he came in 3rd, and were were both second in our age categories...

wow! I'm on 67. My son is running with us tomorrow but I think I should be able to beat him, will report back after parkrun

Charlesjjm

Dischem 21K done at 2:17. Not too bad for the first race of the year. My first time on this race and I quite enjoyed it. The climb in the second half was nice and challenging, I had to walk a few times. I still think the Randburg Harriers is tougher when it comes to hills though.

martin

Expert Member
Sportsman's Warehouse running a sale. Was in there today as I need new shoes for 2020. My current road shoes (Asics Gel Nimbus 21's) are on sale for R1,899 marked down from R2,700. Pretty decent sale. I stood staring at them for like 5min until I turned on my heel and walked out.

Specials on trail shoes too for thems interested.
Thank you for this. Picked up a pair of Hoka Arahi 3's yesterday for a steal. I was also very surprised that they had my size - UK 9.5. It's been a struggle to find half sizes (in stock) in the past.

walterl

Expert Member
wow! I'm on 67. My son is running with us tomorrow but I think I should be able to beat him, will report back after parkrun
okay so my son didn't run on Saturday, my time for parkrun 68 was 27:43 and myrun on Sunday was 26:59

Scary_Turtle

Expert Member
Did a 15km slowish run starting at 6am on Saturday in 1h27min then got talked into doing a park run where I just tried to keep up with my friend and managed just under 25min, super chuffed with that time (even though I felt like death).

Sunday set out to do a 25km training run but missed a turn somewhere and did 23.4km.

Today I don't feel like I have a runners hangover and my injury is better so looks like its going to be a good year.

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad

Breaking news – The body of a woman has been found after an intensive search and rescue operation was launched to find Thandeka Makhaye who went missing after yesterday’s trail run at Aloe Wildlife Estate.
Was wondering why Sunday's TR results were so delayed now I see this. Bloody shocking tbh.

It was bloody hot and lots of folks were carrying no extra hydration o_O

Method

Executive Member

Was wondering why Sunday's TR results were so delayed now I see this. Bloody shocking tbh.

It was bloody hot and lots of folks were carrying no extra hydration o_O
Wow, that's tragic :(

Method

Executive Member
I'm trying to figure out how nobody saw she was in trouble. The 6k course has the most runners.
And the final loop for 21k'ers was the 6k course again. Really weird.
Yep, would like to know more and cause of death. Sounds fishy.

Scary_Turtle

Expert Member
I'm trying to figure out how nobody saw she was in trouble. The 6k course has the most runners.
And the final loop for 21k'ers was the 6k course again. Really weird.
A similar thing happened to race director friend of mine, the person who fell went over the edge of a 90ish degree cliff and knocked them self unconscious.

They were only found the next day but luckily survived.

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad
A similar thing happened to race director friend of mine, the person who fell went over the edge of a 90ish degree cliff and knocked them self unconscious.

They were only found the next day but luckily survived.
Latest news article says she was found 30 metres off the race track. If someone was even a few metres off I would never have seen them. There's large stages where all you're doing is concentrating on where your feet are stepping and notice nothing around you.

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
Lion's Head is the same. Even a couple of meters off the trail and you will need helicopter rescue. People who hike this route are retards. People in slops, jeans and with no water trying to make it up. Fml...