The official running thread™

Please talk to me about hydration vests.
I am starting to run bigger distances solo, and I want to start lugging a burner phone, snacks, water/juice, sunscreen etc. I run mostly point to point having my special lady friend collect me once I get to where I intend going. The routes(Centurion - Harties via Hennops and surrounds) do not have many fuel stations, so here I am.
I am leaning to 8-10ltr vests, but like hiking packs and backpacks some are conformable and others are a pain.
What are you using?
What to look out for?
Is this road even worth exploring? What is the alternative?
Hydration vests are dependent on the length/time of your run. I only use a 2L bladder because all my training runs are 3hours or less which is fine for me. Then i just need a couple of zip compartments for Gels, keys and toilet paper.

Generally my runs are out and back so I ensure I have everything I need on me. I pick old roads where cars only pass by once every 10 minutes and I never carry my phone or wallet. I have never used sunscreen on a training run because if its summer, I will wake up at 5am to start the run.

Long story short - I minimize things to ensure my run is the full focus and Im not stopping to adjust or apply something. I'm not recommending my hydration pack because i bought a cheapie and it's dying(zips etc).
 
Please talk to me about hydration vests.
I am starting to run bigger distances solo, and I want to start lugging a burner phone, snacks, water/juice, sunscreen etc. I run mostly point to point having my special lady friend collect me once I get to where I intend going. The routes(Centurion - Harties via Hennops and surrounds) do not have many fuel stations, so here I am.
I am leaning to 8-10ltr vests, but like hiking packs and backpacks some are conformable and others are a pain.
What are you using?
What to look out for?
Is this road even worth exploring? What is the alternative?

Edit: I am an Osprey whore. The hiking packs I own( Aether 70ltr, Talon 33ltr and Hikelite 23ltr) are all amazing.

Salomon is one of the best out there. You're going to pay a premium, but you get what you pay for


Definitely on my shopping list for the end of the year. I need to replace my First Ascent pack that I've had since 2018
 
Please talk to me about hydration vests.
I am starting to run bigger distances solo, and I want to start lugging a burner phone, snacks, water/juice, sunscreen etc. I run mostly point to point having my special lady friend collect me once I get to where I intend going. The routes(Centurion - Harties via Hennops and surrounds) do not have many fuel stations, so here I am.
I am leaning to 8-10ltr vests, but like hiking packs and backpacks some are conformable and others are a pain.
What are you using?
What to look out for?
Is this road even worth exploring? What is the alternative?
I have a fried who uses one (camelback) and she loves it. I tried it and hated it. So my advice will be to borrow one and test before you spend some cash. I prefer to just put a R50 and farbar in my pocket. I plan my longer runs (I dont go over 21) so that I have a stop close to the 10K mark.
 
Hydration vests are dependent on the length/time of your run. I only use a 2L bladder because all my training runs are 3hours or less which is fine for me. Then i just need a couple of zip compartments for Gels, keys and toilet paper.

Generally my runs are out and back so I ensure I have everything I need on me. I pick old roads where cars only pass by once every 10 minutes and I never carry my phone or wallet. I have never used sunscreen on a training run because if its summer, I will wake up at 5am to start the run.

Long story short - I minimize things to ensure my run is the full focus and Im not stopping to adjust or apply something. I'm not recommending my hydration pack because i bought a cheapie and it's dying(zips etc).
Thank you for your input.
 
Salomon is one of the best out there. You're going to pay a premium, but you get what you pay for


Definitely on my shopping list for the end of the year. I need to replace my First Ascent pack that I've had since 2018
I had a look, anything quality is going to be R2500 and more. Thanks for your input.
 
I have a fried who uses one (camelback) and she loves it. I tried it and hated it. So my advice will be to borrow one and test before you spend some cash. I prefer to just put a R50 and farbar in my pocket. I plan my longer runs (I dont go over 21) so that I have a stop close to the 10K mark.
I use a CB for cycling ultra distances. After a week or two I managed to get it sitting perfect and have not touched the adjustment straps again. That is cycling though, different upper body movement when running which I think could be an issue, hence the running vest investigation.
Thank you for your input.
 
I had a look, anything quality is going to be R2500 and more. Thanks for your input.
Yeah its pricey but you get what you pay for. A +1 for Salomon from me as well.

My buddies who insanely do the ultra trail runs all prefer the soft flasks that hang in front of your chest as opposed to the bladder on the back for what that is worth. Sits better and moves less when running.
 
Yeah its pricey but you get what you pay for. A +1 for Salomon from me as well.

My buddies who insanely do the ultra trail runs all prefer the soft flasks that hang in front of your chest as opposed to the bladder on the back for what that is worth. Sits better and moves less when running.
This is good information. Thank you.
 
Yeah its pricey but you get what you pay for. A +1 for Salomon from me as well.

My buddies who insanely do the ultra trail runs all prefer the soft flasks that hang in front of your chest as opposed to the bladder on the back for what that is worth. Sits better and moves less when running.
I would like to try one but I don't want to get something until the current one completely breaks. It will seem like a waste of money to me whilst it is still in use.
 
I have 2. One with a 2lt bladder for longer than 10km runs and one with capacity for 1 or 2 500ml soft flasks for shorter distances.

Both are Ultra Aspire and were not that expensive as compared to Salomon. However choosing the flasks for the 2 Oceans 21km as there are water points en route. Flasks will have Cytogen.
 
No running for a few days.
Dodged a doringboom. Twisted ankle in the process.IMG20231026122425.jpg
 
Last edited:
On the road we have to dodge muggers, potholes and drunking driving. You need to practise.
I'm not used to the quantities of doringboom trees that I've experienced here in the bushveld. Anyways tomorrow we're leaving for Henties in Namib. Fortunately its my left ankle. Only need the right foot for driving since my vehicle is automatic.
 
Please talk to me about hydration vests.
I am starting to run bigger distances solo, and I want to start lugging a burner phone, snacks, water/juice, sunscreen etc. I run mostly point to point having my special lady friend collect me once I get to where I intend going. The routes(Centurion - Harties via Hennops and surrounds) do not have many fuel stations, so here I am.
I am leaning to 8-10ltr vests, but like hiking packs and backpacks some are conformable and others are a pain.
What are you using?
What to look out for?
Is this road even worth exploring? What is the alternative?

Edit: I am an Osprey whore. The hiking packs I own( Aether 70ltr, Talon 33ltr and Hikelite 23ltr) are all amazing.
From my experience proper hydration starts before the run so I saturate those cells with a good 2ltr prior to going out over 30min or so.

And then all I do during the run is a top up at around 100ml/km so not necessary to carry too much water at any given time.

I run with a basic hydration tactical bag which carries max 1.8L and then do one stop at around 15km to top it up. I hardly notice it especially as the run progresses and I'm drinking from it.
The less weight I'm carrying the better as weight affects pace.

Not a fan of those bags with the compartments in the front, so all my electrolytes go in with the water and my gels in my pocket.
Running waistband for phone/keys

Plan a route that has at least one filling station it helps.
 
From my experience proper hydration starts before the run so I saturate those cells with a good 2ltr prior to going out over 30min or so.

And then all I do during the run is a top up at around 100ml/km so not necessary to carry too much water at any given time.

I run with a basic hydration tactical bag which carries max 1.8L and then do one stop at around 15km to top it up. I hardly notice it especially as the run progresses and I'm drinking from it.
The less weight I'm carrying the better as weight affects pace.

Not a fan of those bags with the compartments in the front, so all my electrolytes go in with the water and my gels in my pocket.
Running waistband for phone/keys

Plan a route that has at least one filling station it helps.
8 - 10l is alot. I usually carry 2 x 500ml bottles with me max using a waist strap carrier that I bought some time ago. But then again the max distance I usally run when training is 36km. Usually I dont run further than that on training runs.It looks like this

 
8 - 10l is alot. I usually carry 2 x 500ml bottles with me max using a waist strap carrier that I bought some time ago. But then again the max distance I usally run when training is 36km. Usually I dont run further than that on training runs.It looks like this

I have that exact one. Not good enough for 2hr runs because the bottles only hold 200ml's each. So make sure the one you get has a bigger bottle!
 
I don't run with hydration packs that uses a bladder. Cannot stand the taste as the bladder seems to make it taste like plastic. Also my body heat tends to warm up the water in the bladder making the taste even more awful.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X