The official running thread™

I find it extremely annoying.

I'd say you should start with minimal and work your way up. Soft flask > running belt > hydration vest.

With hydration vests the bounce (even slight) can also be very annoying and it comes with extra bulk and warmth which decreases comfort.
I have a camel bak that I very seldom use because of the bouncing... :X3: . It's good for hiking though.
 
On the point if camelbak mockery and frowning upon it. . Sometimes the mockery has it's place.

I was the 2 oceans expo one year for registration, and there were these 2 Germans walking around, wearing full kit, with camelbaks, and hydration belts stuffed with goos and energy bars.. At the expo, the day before the race. WTF
 
On the point if camelbak mockery and frowning upon it. . Sometimes the mockery has it's place.

I was the 2 oceans expo one year for registration, and there were these 2 Germans walking around, wearing full kit, with camelbaks, and hydration belts stuffed with goos and energy bars.. At the expo, the day before the race. WTF
Germans are excused because well they are German :p
 
On the point if camelbak mockery and frowning upon it. . Sometimes the mockery has it's place.

I was the 2 oceans expo one year for registration, and there were these 2 Germans walking around, wearing full kit, with camelbaks, and hydration belts stuffed with goos and energy bars.. At the expo, the day before the race. WTF
Joke is on everyone else as apparently they were traversing the Cape and just popped in for a look, they were on the 4th leg of their epic 950km journey..
 
Joke is on everyone else as apparently they were traversing the Cape and just popped in for a look, they were on the 4th leg of their epic 950km journey..
Oh? For real? Around 10 years or so ago.
 
Ive being walking on my treadmill for a year, 3-4 times a week(Im not able to run 5k in one go, but I can complete 5km over 50-60min with alternating between walking and running). Looking at the stats that you guys post, Im clearly very behind on my cardio strength.

My problem is that my heart rate goes up to 180+ bpm(samsung watch) during running and I can maintain this for a few minutes at best, but its extremely taxing.

My stats:
Age 39
Weight 93kg - down from 99kg precisely a year ago
Height 1.84m
Skinny pot belly shape at 108cm waist (down from 112cm a year ago), I dont drink, its just high sugar intake and stress over years
Treadmill speeds walk at 4.5 to 5.5 and run at 6.5

On running days, i can lose around 1kg in weight from sweat/water loss as I weigh before and after the session.

So I need to ask, any tips to get better at running a 5km apart from staying consistent?
 
Ive being walking on my treadmill for a year, 3-4 times a week(Im not able to run 5k in one go, but I can complete 5km over 50-60min with alternating between walking and running). Looking at the stats that you guys post, Im clearly very behind on my cardio strength.

My problem is that my heart rate goes up to 180+ bpm(samsung watch) during running and I can maintain this for a few minutes at best, but its extremely taxing.

My stats:
Age 39
Weight 93kg - down from 99kg precisely a year ago
Height 1.84m
Skinny pot belly shape at 108cm waist (down from 112cm a year ago), I dont drink, its just high sugar intake and stress over years
Treadmill speeds walk at 4.5 to 5.5 and run at 6.5

On running days, i can lose around 1kg in weight from sweat/water loss as I weigh before and after the session.

So I need to ask, any tips to get better at running a 5km apart from staying consistent?
Just keep at it. In the beginning it feels impossible, everything hurts and you just want to stop.

There will be a sudden breakthrough, and you will be able to just keep running. You never have to go through that again. Even after years off you'll still be able to run.

I would say it's easier on the road though. Treadmills are brutally boring, and every minute feels like an hour.
 
Ive being walking on my treadmill for a year, 3-4 times a week(Im not able to run 5k in one go, but I can complete 5km over 50-60min with alternating between walking and running). Looking at the stats that you guys post, Im clearly very behind on my cardio strength.

My problem is that my heart rate goes up to 180+ bpm(samsung watch) during running and I can maintain this for a few minutes at best, but its extremely taxing.

My stats:
Age 39
Weight 93kg - down from 99kg precisely a year ago
Height 1.84m
Skinny pot belly shape at 108cm waist (down from 112cm a year ago), I dont drink, its just high sugar intake and stress over years
Treadmill speeds walk at 4.5 to 5.5 and run at 6.5

On running days, i can lose around 1kg in weight from sweat/water loss as I weigh before and after the session.

So I need to ask, any tips to get better at running a 5km apart from staying consistent?
Lots of base runs - you don't have to push hard. Keep your heart rate under control for them, even if it means walking/shuffling. Your times will improve as you build the base.
 
Ive being walking on my treadmill for a year, 3-4 times a week(Im not able to run 5k in one go, but I can complete 5km over 50-60min with alternating between walking and running). Looking at the stats that you guys post, Im clearly very behind on my cardio strength.

My problem is that my heart rate goes up to 180+ bpm(samsung watch) during running and I can maintain this for a few minutes at best, but its extremely taxing.

My stats:
Age 39
Weight 93kg - down from 99kg precisely a year ago
Height 1.84m
Skinny pot belly shape at 108cm waist (down from 112cm a year ago), I dont drink, its just high sugar intake and stress over years
Treadmill speeds walk at 4.5 to 5.5 and run at 6.5

On running days, i can lose around 1kg in weight from sweat/water loss as I weigh before and after the session.

So I need to ask, any tips to get better at running a 5km apart from staying consistent?
You might not want to hear this, but ask @Sinbad if it's true or not.

To improve you'll need to build your base. This means running/walking at a slow enough pace where your HR stays in zone 2 (can comfortably carry on a conversation). This will mean you are basically at a glorified walking pace during runs. This will SUCK and SUCK big time, but it works.

Do walk/run intervals. Once your HR gets too high then walk. Walking is not a failure. Your body doesn't know/care if you are running or not to achieve the desired HR zone. Focus on time and not distance. Set aside 30 min (as example) and go as far as you can. Do that consistently for 3/4 days a week and the amount of walks will steadily decrease. Once you can run for the entire 30 mins you can start focusing on adding distance and mix in faster paced workouts.
 
Thanks for all the advice gents. So my assumption on the camel back was incorrect. I had one or two people I spoke about it in person saying it's frowned upon.

will look at the different options and decide.

How is your breathing? You can try focus on breathing with your diaphragm and breathe in through your nose and out of your mouth for a run or two and see if that helps.
Running with a camel back isn't great I had a waist belt many years ago that was way better that. The camel back bouncing around.
But unless you are leading races just do what feel comfortable and ignore the Karen's.
 
Ive being walking on my treadmill for a year, 3-4 times a week(Im not able to run 5k in one go, but I can complete 5km over 50-60min with alternating between walking and running). Looking at the stats that you guys post, Im clearly very behind on my cardio strength.

My problem is that my heart rate goes up to 180+ bpm(samsung watch) during running and I can maintain this for a few minutes at best, but its extremely taxing.

My stats:
Age 39
Weight 93kg - down from 99kg precisely a year ago
Height 1.84m
Skinny pot belly shape at 108cm waist (down from 112cm a year ago), I dont drink, its just high sugar intake and stress over years
Treadmill speeds walk at 4.5 to 5.5 and run at 6.5

On running days, i can lose around 1kg in weight from sweat/water loss as I weigh before and after the session.

So I need to ask, any tips to get better at running a 5km apart from staying consistent?

Don't compare yourself too much to others especially the guys on here posting sub 30min 5K's they put in a lot of time to get there. At your typical park run you won't even be close to last so you are doing fine.
Weight also makes a huge difference with running every extra kilo you carry makes it harder so it will get easier just by continuing the weight loss.

Look at one of the 5k programs but my main advice is to slow down on most of your runs. You build stamina at 60-70% of your Max heart rate so if you just run at near Max its not going to make it easier to run longer distances. So keep your high exertion run for once a week but do more of them at a lower heart rate.
 
I've done probably 90% zone 2 running over the last 6 months.
Can probably count the threshold or tempo runs on 2 hands.

My parkrun progress:
884870c532091878fbd79970c67343f9.jpg
 
Yup. When I started running I just ran with my HR going to 170 in the barely 2km I could do. Did that for months and didn't see any progress. Only once I started going slow and kept in zone 2 (140-150 for me) did I start seeing my endurance going up. A 10K is now a piece of cake.

That being said, it takes time and consistency. You can check back a couple of years in the workout thread and see how my progression went. At a bare minimum it'll take around 3 months for you start feeling like running doesn't suck (and even after 3 years now the first 3K can still suck ;) ) and running starts to become fun. And I was the one saying I'll NEVER run unless something is chasing me!
 
Last edited:
Other thing to watch out for with a wrist monitor is cadence locking, where the HR sensor is fooled by your movements and reports your cadence as heart rate. If you're serious about heart rate based training, get a chest strap.
 
Other thing to watch out for with a wrist monitor is cadence locking, where the HR sensor is fooled by your movements and reports your cadence as heart rate. If you're serious about heart rate based training, get a chest strap.
While this is true, most modern HR sensors are pretty darn good for steady state stuff. I haven't had any issues with cadence lock with my Forerunner 165. If you just have a watch it should be good enough to start out with. My Xiaomi band I started with sucked distance wise, but HR was still good enough.
 
While this is true, most modern HR sensors are pretty darn good for steady state stuff. I haven't had any issues with cadence lock with my Forerunner 165. If you just have a watch it should be good enough to start out with. My Xiaomi band I started with sucked distance wise, but HR was still good enough.
My quatix 7 (essentially a fenix) cadence locks on me pretty much all the time. It's how I can tell the HR strap battery is flat
 
Ive being walking on my treadmill for a year, 3-4 times a week(Im not able to run 5k in one go, but I can complete 5km over 50-60min with alternating between walking and running). Looking at the stats that you guys post, Im clearly very behind on my cardio strength.

My problem is that my heart rate goes up to 180+ bpm(samsung watch) during running and I can maintain this for a few minutes at best, but its extremely taxing.

My stats:
Age 39
Weight 93kg - down from 99kg precisely a year ago
Height 1.84m
Skinny pot belly shape at 108cm waist (down from 112cm a year ago), I dont drink, its just high sugar intake and stress over years
Treadmill speeds walk at 4.5 to 5.5 and run at 6.5

On running days, i can lose around 1kg in weight from sweat/water loss as I weigh before and after the session.

So I need to ask, any tips to get better at running a 5km apart from staying consistent?
Welcome to the mybb running club
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X