The official running thread™

Heard the same, never ran it myself though
I get the attraction, but it’s been poorly run in the past, which made it a kak time on the road. It’s probably a controversial topic, but Soweto isn’t a great place. I’d rather do spend my time struggling in a green area, but that’s just me.
 
Anyone know what might be the possible reason for sudden increase in heart rate and then plateauing or slightly increasing

1790346932628.png

Pace was round about the same only at minute 28 did I up my pace by 1:30 min / km
 
Anyone know what might be the possible reason for sudden increase in heart rate and then plateauing or slightly increasing

View attachment 1940217

Pace was round about the same only at minute 28 did I up my pace by 1:30 min / km
Was the watch on tight enough? I'd guess that it might have been too loose and showing a HR that's too low. Once you started sweating it showed a more accurate reading. The plateau and increasing would be normal HR drift as you get tired.

What would be your normal baselines? What pace were you doing in comparison?

The other alternative is that it could be cadence lock. Do a cadence overlay and see how that compares.
Here's an example of mine:
1790348472904.png
 
The other alternative is that it could be cadence lock. Do a cadence overlay and see how that compares.
Hmmmm I ran with a friend that has a higher cadence and I see my cadence went up to 170 at one point and it is around the time my HR shot up.

He has a HR strap that I might borrow to see what my HR baseline actually is cause the run didn't feel bad at all and normally at this pace which is 6:00m/km my HR is at 155-160
 
Hmmmm I ran with a friend that has a higher cadence and I see my cadence went up to 170 at one point and it is around the time my HR shot up.

He has a HR strap that I might borrow to see what my HR baseline actually is cause the run didn't feel bad at all and normally at this pace which is 6:00m/km my HR is at 155-160
What watch do you have? I had the same issue with my Galaxy Watch and swapping out the strap for a trail strap (material, better for sweat) helped. The silicone strap slipped around on my arm when I start sweating.
 
Hmmmm I ran with a friend that has a higher cadence and I see my cadence went up to 170 at one point and it is around the time my HR shot up.

He has a HR strap that I might borrow to see what my HR baseline actually is cause the run didn't feel bad at all and normally at this pace which is 6:00m/km my HR is at 155-160
If your normal HR is 155-160 it was definitely showing too low HR during the start. I'd also think with true cadence lock you'd see the HR more along 170-ish (or closely aligning with your cadence at that moment). How tight was your watch? If you tug back and forth on the band the watch and your skin should move at the same time without a gap between them. If the watch moves freely on its own it's likely too loose.

I think the newer watches are pretty good so cadence lock shouldn't be as prevalent.
 
Run was intended to be a base run on my normal long run route. Elevation and very high humidity after a thunderstorm meant I was cooked from the start. So I upped the effort to see if I could hit a sub 1h 10K again. Managed to clock it at 54:50. Could've been a bit faster if it wasn't for idiot Jimny driver who parked half on the verge and half in the road on a double lined turn with another vehicle coming from behind. I had to slow to an almost stop to try to pass on the bit of verge that was left. Sinking into wet mud was not fun.

1790425207848.png
1790425491907.png

Kudos to the lady (in some kind of club gear) who was doing 5:00+ pace on the uphills while I was struggling to keep my HR in check at 06:00. A humbling experience.
 
If your normal HR is 155-160 it was definitely showing too low HR during the start. I'd also think with true cadence lock you'd see the HR more along 170-ish (or closely aligning with your cadence at that moment). How tight was your watch? If you tug back and forth on the band the watch and your skin should move at the same time without a gap between them. If the watch moves freely on its own it's likely too loose.

I think the newer watches are pretty good so cadence lock shouldn't be as prevalent.
I think the watch might have been loose, I see this happening every other run though some are fine and some aren't. Claude mentioned I should move my watch 1-2 fingers higher up my wrist and make it a bit tighter so I want to try that
What watch do you have? I had the same issue with my Galaxy Watch and swapping out the strap for a trail strap (material, better for sweat) helped. The silicone strap slipped around on my arm when I start sweating.
I have the Garmin Forerunner 165

I see the HRM-200 is on a nice special, which I am considering as I plan to exercise for Hyrox and will help a lot for that as well, as watches suck with those type of exercises.
 
Run was intended to be a base run on my normal long run route. Elevation and very high humidity after a thunderstorm meant I was cooked from the start. So I upped the effort to see if I could hit a sub 1h 10K again. Managed to clock it at 54:50. Could've been a bit faster if it wasn't for idiot Jimny driver who parked half on the verge and half in the road on a double lined turn with another vehicle coming from behind. I had to slow to an almost stop to try to pass on the bit of verge that was left. Sinking into wet mud was not fun.

Kudos to the lady (in some kind of club gear) who was doing 5:00+ pace on the uphills while I was struggling to keep my HR in check at 06:00. A humbling experience.
This is a solid run. I am aiming to run this pace when I do my Versus Grand Prix Race end of October.

I feel like my body is finally getting used to running again after the injury. Slowly getting back into it
 
I think the watch might have been loose, I see this happening every other run though some are fine and some aren't. Claude mentioned I should move my watch 1-2 fingers higher up my wrist and make it a bit tighter so I want to try that

I have the Garmin Forerunner 165

I see the HRM-200 is on a nice special, which I am considering as I plan to exercise for Hyrox and will help a lot for that as well, as watches suck with those type of exercises.
I have the exact same watch and haven't had any issues with cadence lock at all. I wear mine a finger's width below my wrist bone. Two, if you imagine the middle of the watch aligning with the spot where the second finger would go. To ensure consistency I count the holes on the strap. For running I tighten it on the 9th hole. For me that's the perfect spot where it is tight without any movement. For normal wear I loosen it up one notch (10th hole).

A HR strap is the most accurate way to go about things, but to be honest for steady state stuff I haven't seen any difference between the FR165 and my Garmin HRM Pro Plus. Where you do notice a difference is with intervals where the HR strap is slightly quicker to react.

The downside is that I find the HR strap a bit uncomfortable to wear. Also keep in mind that the FR165 doesn't collect all the data from the straps. Not sure if the HRM-200 would be the same, but mine doesn't show the ground contact time balance even though the Pro Plus supports it.
 
I have the exact same watch and haven't had any issues with cadence lock at all. I wear mine a finger's width below my wrist bone. Two, if you imagine the middle of the watch aligning with the spot where the second finger would go. To ensure consistency I count the holes on the strap. For running I tighten it on the 9th hole. For me that's the perfect spot where it is tight without any movement. For normal wear I loosen it up one notch (10th hole).

A HR strap is the most accurate way to go about things, but to be honest for steady state stuff I haven't seen any difference between the FR165 and my Garmin HRM Pro Plus. Where you do notice a difference is with intervals where the HR strap is slightly quicker to react.

The downside is that I find the HR strap a bit uncomfortable to wear. Also keep in mind that the FR165 doesn't collect all the data from the straps. Not sure if the HRM-200 would be the same, but mine doesn't show the ground contact time balance even though the Pro Plus supports it.
I watched a review of the HRM-600 and HRM-200 and it looked really good from what I saw and love that the straps are replaceable etc, but what you have mentioned last seems to be the case.

In the HRM-600 review the guy mentioned that it has a lot of the features you have mentioned like running form ground contact time etc. but that it is only available to the higher end watches which is quite annoying because people that normally invest in the higher end watches are more likely to be more involved with training already and don't necessarily need that data.

So I think for now, I might try with the watch higher up and tighter when running and see how that goes. Hopefully it will give better and more solid readings. It is quite annoying doing the Base run when your HR should be 155 avg and your watch is glitching with the HR
 
I watched a review of the HRM-600 and HRM-200 and it looked really good from what I saw and love that the straps are replaceable etc, but what you have mentioned last seems to be the case.

In the HRM-600 review the guy mentioned that it has a lot of the features you have mentioned like running form ground contact time etc. but that it is only available to the higher end watches which is quite annoying because people that normally invest in the higher end watches are more likely to be more involved with training already and don't necessarily need that data.

So I think for now, I might try with the watch higher up and tighter when running and see how that goes. Hopefully it will give better and more solid readings. It is quite annoying doing the Base run when your HR should be 155 avg and your watch is glitching with the HR
Yeah. At least the FR165 already has most of the data included aside for the ground contact balance (how much left/right foot balance).

I'd definitely try the tighter watch first and see how that goes. At least that's an easy and free fix. If the issue persists then the chest strap can be the next step.

I picked up a Xiaomi Smart Band 10 Pro to use as a backup for my Garmin and it works reasonably well. HR is on par and even the GPS is pretty much spot on. But that's more a case of having something if there's some catastrophic failure.
 
If anyone is looking for some soft flasks this is a good deal. R149 for 2x500ml. The quality of the flasks are good. You don't struggle to get the nozzle on and they don't leak.

 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X