The Official Xiaomi Thread

HS2000

I suppose the note 9 pro is still a better device, although I wouldnt mind the extra storage space
I'm still waiting for the Redmi Note 10 to launch.

I'm willing to go to Xiaomi based on price.

I feel that Xiaomi need to work on their UI & fix software issues(like some of you mentioning that notifications don't show up etc)

Samsung is overpriced.They spend way too much on marketing but their software update schedule has improved dramatically.

I have an old A30. It consistently receives security updates & I received Android 11 recently. One UI 3.1 is excellent.

The amoled screen & pricing will convert me to a Xiaomi customer. They are taking too long to launch the new Redmi series though

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
I'm still waiting for the Redmi Note 10 to launch.

I'm willing to go to Xiaomi based on price.

I feel that Xiaomi need to work on their UI & fix software issues(like some of you mentioning that notifications don't show up etc)

Samsung is overpriced.They spend way too much on marketing but their software update schedule has improved dramatically.

I have an old A30. It consistently receives security updates & I received Android 11 recently. One UI 3.1 is excellent.

The amoled screen & pricing will convert me to a Xiaomi customer. They are taking too long to launch the new Redmi series though
I wish Xiaomi was available on contract in SA, their high end offerings at least, I have noticed some really low end stuff on contract.
The notifications not working happens on all phones, my iPhone does it at least once a day.
I dont expect there to be much in the lines of new releases considering there is a global microprocessor shortage and Covid is wreaking havoc everywhere.

Xiaomi have previously said that they operate at a loss with their mobile hardware, compared to some other brands I can imagine that to be true.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
Anybody looking for a Note 9T or Note 9T 5G.

Today would be the day to buy it. View attachment 1099667
I have an iPhone X, I dropped it a few weeks ago and cracked the screen. I have been looking for a replacement and dont like any of the phones available on contract.
I wonder if I would seriously hate the performance on a note 9T? I dont use my phone for much other than about 10 mins of social media a day. I do use the tons of authenticator apps from various clients, but that isnt exactly heavy lifting.

Im just really wondering if I will end up hating the phone after a year because its slowed down to a crawl.
Any opinions?

FlashSA

Executive Member
I have an iPhone X, I dropped it a few weeks ago and cracked the screen. I have been looking for a replacement and dont like any of the phones available on contract.
I wonder if I would seriously hate the performance on a note 9T? I dont use my phone for much other than about 10 mins of social media a day. I do use the tons of authenticator apps from various clients, but that isnt exactly heavy lifting.

Im just really wondering if I will end up hating the phone after a year because its slowed down to a crawl.
Any opinions?
You'll never know you downgraded your CPU.

Last flagship was my Samsung S4. Been Xiaomi ever since.

I don't game.

HS2000

Do they even have plans to do this? I get the feeling if you want it you're probably going to have to import it.
I emailed MIA about a month ago.

They didn't provide a release date nor did they confirm it launching in SA.

ziyaad.jak

Any opinions?
My primary phone has Snapdragon 888 vs spare phone with Snapdragon 720G and I got quite frustrated with the speed recently when I was forced to use the spare phone for a week - just opening apps or navigating seemed to take ages (probably millisecond differences in reality). I guess it will all be relative coming from an iPhone X A11 to a Note 9T won't necessarily be a downgrade, your biggest frustration would probably be the change in OS and not the speed, but on the upside Android is far more flexible than iOS.

Sumen

Expert Member
I emailed MIA about a month ago.

They didn't provide a release date nor did they confirm it launching in SA.
Do they even have plans to do this? I get the feeling if you want it you're probably going to have to import it.
I did post a couple of weeks ago that technomobi has already advertised the Redmi Note 10 Pro, I see now they saying it will launch this month.

Screenshot_20210702-201346.jpg Screenshot_20210702-201256__01.jpg

Last edited:

riscbroker

Expert Member
Update to Android 11 (MIUI Global 12.0.1.0) just downloaded and installed on my Redmi 9 without incident.

This is my first experience with Android, all previous smartphones have been Apple, from iPhone 3GS up. Can't say I'm missing iOS.

Last edited:

gbyleveldt

Can't say I'm missing iOS.
I did. I just don’t like Android, it’s not as slick as iOS. I still use my 9S as a work phone but bit the bullet and got an iPhone 12 MP to replace my X for my private number. Now for the pain of getting MTN business to work with the eSim so I can have both numbers on the 12

rodga

Honorary Master
A while back I asked if there was a solution to the audio ducking feature. Updated to android 11 a few days ago on my rn9pro and they have added the option to not let notifications lower the volume of any media that is playing.

phly

Expert Member
I did. I just don’t like Android, it’s not as slick as iOS. I still use my 9S as a work phone but bit the bullet and got an iPhone 12 MP to replace my X for my private number. Now for the pain of getting MTN business to work with the eSim so I can have both numbers on the 12
I miss iOS. Not coz Android is not cool. It still is. Very customisable and all that. But as one ages and gets older there is no time to tinker and you just want stuff that just works. Also the new developments on both iOS and Mac OS are quite cool. Question. Does iPhone 12 have esim and is that now a thing in SA or still a pipedream.

gbyleveldt

I miss iOS. Not coz Android is not cool. It still is. Very customisable and all that. But as one ages and gets older there is no time to tinker and you just want stuff that just works. Also the new developments on both iOS and Mac OS are quite cool. Question. Does iPhone 12 have esim and is that now a thing in SA or still a pipedream.
I get what you mean. Completely. Yes, the 12 has both an eSim and a normal sim slot, both having their own IMEI numbers.

lambch0p

To each their own.. I personally have wished that some seniors (for whom I sometimes troubleshoot iPhone problems for) would switch to something like a Redmi 8/9 or something.. Maybe I'm an outlier, but it's been too many times I've encountered some silly problem/issue, that seems straightforward at first..but often turns into a frustrating time consuming experience, esp. when Apple insists on doing things their own unique way at times..

Also, the battery sizes.. don't people want to hassle less with low-battery notifications, and being attached to a charger often?.. esp. as one "..gets older.." as mentioned above. Idk, just feels kinda sad seeing seniors being pre-occupied with charging their phones.. I was shocked to see a 1,624mAh battery in the few year old iPhoneSE I fixed a little while ago :oops:.

phly

Expert Member
To each their own.. I personally have wished that some seniors (for whom I sometimes troubleshoot iPhone problems for) would switch to something like a Redmi 8/9 or something.. Maybe I'm an outlier, but it's been too many times I've encountered some silly problem/issue, that seems straightforward at first..but often turns into a frustrating time consuming experience, esp. when Apple insists on doing things their own unique way at times..

Also, the battery sizes.. don't people want to hassle less with low-battery notifications, and being attached to a charger often?.. esp. as one "..gets older.." as mentioned above. Idk, just feels kinda sad seeing seniors being pre-occupied with charging their phones.. I was shocked to see a 1,624mAh battery in the few year old iPhoneSE I fixed a little while ago :oops:.
Haha I used to own an iPhone SE
and I loved it. Even though batteries on iPhones are almost always low mAh... The way the OS is built to run on the hardware means it's the most efficient use possible. I now own a mi 9 lite and I can't fault it. Actually does all I need and more. Light. Fast. Long battery. NFC which is a must these days. 6gb ram and 128gb rom ain't too shabby. I miss iOS though. That's just my main reason for wanting to switch.

shiverz

Expert Member
mi-3-1024x788.jpg

LetsDance

Noobie here to this thread, I am interested in the redmi 9a phone, but is it fully supported by the google play store? I have no interest in flashing new firmware or hacks.

PhireSide

Honorary Master
Xiaomi isn't scared to drop support for phones that are barely even old, are they? The Mi CC9 Pro was released just over 1.5 years ago:

1625472838653.png

I don't think my next phone will be a Xiaomi, to be completely honest. I know I can unlock the bootloader and run a custom ROM but I'm reaching that stage in my life where I want things to just work.

Our company has a new policy that states that we cannot run Intune on phones that haven't had security updates within the last six months, which is understandable from a security POV, but that may mean I will need to make a plan soon as my RN8 had it's last patch back in April.

shiverz

Expert Member
Xiaomi isn't scared to drop support for phones that are barely even old, are they? The Mi CC9 Pro was released just over 1.5 years ago:

View attachment 1101159

I don't think my next phone will be a Xiaomi, to be completely honest. I know I can unlock the bootloader and run a custom ROM but I'm reaching that stage in my life where I want things to just work.

Our company has a new policy that states that we cannot run Intune on phones that haven't had security updates within the last six months, which is understandable from a security POV, but that may mean I will need to make a plan soon as my RN8 had it's last patch back in April.
It's not an official list. That's leaked info from an insider I think. So you can still have some hope.

But in general I agree with you on the updates. I'm coming from a OnePlus 6. There was, at the very least, an update every month for a security patch. With this Redmi Note 9 Pro it's rarely got an update at all.

Last edited: