The PC Build Thread

weelzSA

Expert Member
I was in the same boat as you and decided / convinced to go for the MSI B450 Tomahawk instead. Was looking at that board too but decided to save some cash instead.

If you want RGB take the money saved on mobo and go for trident z RGB.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Memory good, everything else looks good, still say you're paying to much for the mobo :) but it does look good.

Quicks

Memory good, everything else looks good, still say you're paying to much for the mobo :) but it does look good.
The thing is I need the WiFi otherwise will need to pay separately for it, and I see the vrms is good on this M/B and the alc1220 is a bonus.

Last edited:

Lupus

Honorary Master
Wow that memory price has really dropped. I paid R2499 for it in March
Nvm it's the non RGB version. Though I set the RGB version dropped as well.

ponder

Honorary Master

rambo919

Expert Member
Looking at the deluge of ram brands.... does it generally really still matter what you use for AM4 as long as it's rated 3200 (whether you go up that at speed or not)?

rambo919

Expert Member
Yes, they can be finicky so better be on the safe side.
Have you had experience with XPG (ADATA) RAM? Mustek for some reason marries that to their ASUS AM4 mobo's. I was even reccomended a "watercooled" kit..... looking at the Linus TT vid it does absolutely nothing to actually cool the RAM though.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Built the Phenom Triple Core into a nice case. The old NCR case was rusting and not a good fit. Funny thing, the I/O shield makes a huge improvement in terms of the wifi connection. I can now RD to it without it dropping out all the time. Guess it really shields some I/O :unsure::sneaky:

Future plans for this includes upgrading it to a hexa core - soon as the CPU arrives from Aliexpress.

Before :
IMG_20190601_191021.jpg IMG_20190601_191041.jpg

After :
IMG_20190613_230150.jpg IMG_20190613_230207.jpg

ponder

Honorary Master
Have you had experience with XPG (ADATA) RAM? Mustek for some reason marries that to their ASUS AM4 mobo's. I was even reccomended a "watercooled" kit..... looking at the Linus TT vid it does absolutely nothing to actually cool the RAM though.
Nope.

weelzSA

Expert Member
Motherboard and Case arrived but...

Have already emailed to Wootware to sort out.

What's weird to me is the foam part covers the part that is dented so must have happened at factory or someone returned it like that and I got it.

The box was also "bent in" on the side panel side so luckily if it wasn't for that I wouldn't have opened as I'm only building the PC when new Ryzen comes out. I only opened to check that glass panel wasn't cracked where box was damaged - saw it wasnt but decided to take off plastic and check everything then I saw it.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Motherboard and Case arrived but...

Have already emailed to Wootware to sort out.

What's weird to me is the foam part covers the part that is dented so must have happened at factory or someone returned it like that and I got it.

The box was also "bent in" on the side panel side so luckily if it wasn't for that I wouldn't have opened as I'm only building the PC when new Ryzen comes out. I only opened to check that glass panel wasn't cracked where box was damaged - saw it wasnt but decided to take off plastic and check everything then I saw it.
Return it

Lupus

Honorary Master
I immediately called them and then emailed thru pics so waitng to hear back.

I'm just so happy I decided to check it as I'm only building PC next month when new Ryzen comes out so plan was to just leave it packed away until then.
Cool. Yeah I left my case till I got all the parts. Should've checked luckily it was okay.

Quicks

I immediately called them and then emailed thru pics so waitng to hear back.

I'm just so happy I decided to check it as I'm only building PC next month when new Ryzen comes out so plan was to just leave it packed away until then.
That some bad luck sorry to see that.

Pretty sure they will sort you out, been dealing with them and finalizing my order. But they have been super helpful, just hope this does not happen to me as I am in JHB and wont be easy to sort out.

What case did you end up buying ?

Quicks

Have anyone here use the Flashback+ feature before?

If so they say you can flash the bios without any CPU and other stuff connected. But say I build the PC complete with all attached and unsupported CPU inserted will it still be able to flash the bios with the Flashback+ option? Would I need to remove the unsupported processor before flashing?

ponder

Honorary Master
Have anyone here use the Flashback+ feature before?

If so they say you can flash the bios without any CPU and other stuff connected. But say I build the PC complete with all attached and unsupported CPU inserted will it still be able to flash the bios with the Flashback+ option? Would I need to remove the unsupported processor before flashing?
You can flash it with or without a cpu. It will even allow you to flash a corrupted bios.

The above applies to msi, not all manufacturers implement it the same way.